Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
Old 02-21-2012, 01:52 PM
82 posts, read 150,028 times
Reputation: 22


Thx for the replies. I have been trying to find something like you suggest under the table, I just don't put all my business out there, if you know what I mean. @ Canada - I don't know how I was not supposed to take that personal since you replied to me, but I am not a person that can't let things go I know I don't need a tv or phone but come on I'm always home. I could afford these things if I could find a cheaper area I just don't know where to go. The townhouse I have been in for 12 years is 900 a month and that's only because landlord has never raised rent. We are very good tenants. LOL The reason I lose money is a child support thing. If it was just me, I wouldn't be concerned as I could make do but I have my kids and mom. Mom would be ok but even though kids turn 18 doesn't mean they leave (and I don't ever want them to). That's the only thing I worry about is my kids. Thx again, Steph

Old 02-21-2012, 01:56 PM
Location: in my mind
5,328 posts, read 8,516,427 times
Reputation: 11112
You may need to apply for Section 8 housing. Are you receiving food stamps?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:00 PM
82 posts, read 150,028 times
Reputation: 22
EE Believe it or not, I don't qualify for food stamps. I am on the section 8 waiting list but it's 5 years long. Thx
Old 02-21-2012, 02:04 PM
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
9,614 posts, read 21,205,218 times
Reputation: 13664
Originally Posted by girlwithnolife View Post
Mom would be ok but even though kids turn 18 doesn't mean they leave (and I don't ever want them to).
Where's the huge red flag-waving smilie?
Old 02-21-2012, 02:10 PM
82 posts, read 150,028 times
Reputation: 22
red flag waving smiley? didn't see it
Old 02-21-2012, 02:39 PM
82 posts, read 150,028 times
Reputation: 22
BTW it's not actually 700 a month it's 1360 I just took out my car payment and insurances
Old 02-21-2012, 02:50 PM
3,670 posts, read 7,149,375 times
Reputation: 4269
i think some people talk about their problems because they want condolences or they just want to complain rather than seeking actual answers or logical solutions. i know i do it sometimes. i think you have a good deal on rent considering your location and relocation expenses may make it cost-prohibitive for you to move somewhere else, at least in the short run if you don't have any savings. your children are mostly grown, i think it is totally reasonable to expect for them to provide their own food and entertainment expenses and such. do they do well in school? getting full funding in college which would include room and board might be an option if so. i agree you should look for ways to make money, even if its just working part time or babysitting. you can type on a computer and you've raised two children- clearly there are things you can do.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:16 PM
82 posts, read 150,028 times
Reputation: 22
brocco, yes ty my daughter, who is in college but decided to live at home, got many scholarships, and she pretty much takes care of everything she needs. Of course, I pay the home costs. If I did do any kind of work, except under the table work, I would lose my SSDI but not only that I would lose my health insurance, which I can not afford to lose. I know I could do a room mate thing if I have to, but don't really want some 1 I don't really know with my kids although I may have to. My son is still in 11th grade. Tyvm, Steph
Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 PM
18,837 posts, read 37,281,021 times
Reputation: 26463
That is not correct, you can work on SSDI, just not earning SGA. I suggest you talk to a vocational rehabilitation counselor about your situation. It is a state agency.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:04 PM
629 posts, read 1,717,320 times
Reputation: 1117
Is there literally no job you can retrain yourself to do? My cousin's best friend was paralyzed from the neck down in 2002 and AFTER that happened he went to pharmacy school and became a pharmacist. He can use his arm to control a joystick on a power wheelchair but that's all the arm/leg control he has. He works and makes good money. Is your disability worse than that?

If it is, then I think I'd cut the cable altogether and get an over-the-air antenna, cut the phone down to a bare minimum and get a roommate when your son moves out. It sounds like you've got a good deal on the rent so I'm not sure that moving would make much of a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top