Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 PM

82 posts, read 150,444 times

Advertisements

Yes I am on disability. SSDI

Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 PM

No My daughter got scholarships she doesn't have to pay for college the car was 12k

Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,357,132 times
The problem is that you want to live "frugal", but you are unwilling to make those changes. I have a friend who has lived for two years, with a dorm fridge. Her fridge broke, she could not afford a new one, and decided the old one used too much electric. She has not bought food or water out for years. She does not have a car, she takes the bus. She goes to bed at dark, to save on electric. That is her lifestyle. She has no cable, no health insurance, no phone, no internet, she cuts her own hair, and has no pets, she can't afford them. She takes cold showers, to save money. Uses bar soap on her hair. She buys things only at the Dollar store. And even does dumpster diving at the college when the semester is over, kids throw away tons of stuff, which she uses or sells. That is a frugal life style. Start with those changes.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:26 PM

That's true I guess. I don't want to live frugal but I am fine just to survive. I've always had a car. Guess it's just how I grew up. Even now my mom's like you can't take the van go it's dangerous yada yada yada

Old 02-21-2012, 08:30 PM

253 posts, read 557,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The problem is that you want to live "frugal", but you are unwilling to make those changes. I have a friend who has lived for two years, with a dorm fridge. Her fridge broke, she could not afford a new one, and decided the old one used too much electric. She has not bought food or water out for years. She does not have a car, she takes the bus. She goes to bed at dark, to save on electric. That is her lifestyle. She has no cable, no health insurance, no phone, no internet, she cuts her own hair, and has no pets, she can't afford them. She takes cold showers, to save money. Uses bar soap on her hair. She buys things only at the Dollar store. And even does dumpster diving at the college when the semester is over, kids throw away tons of stuff, which she uses or sells. That is a frugal life style. Start with those changes.
Wow, your friend is inspiring!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 PM

253 posts, read 557,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlwithnolife View Post
That's true I guess. I don't want to live frugal but I am fine just to survive. I've always had a car. Guess it's just how I grew up. Even now my mom's like you can't take the van go it's dangerous yada yada yada
You can't have it both ways, esp when you don't work, welcome to the adult world.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,506,675 times
Quote:
Guess that's why I posted. I don't know how to be frugal. I was never taught that. My mom has always got what she wanted when she wanted and she makes decent money but owes alot. Never saved a dime in her life but always got us what we wanted or needed. Now I really have no bills except rent, car and utilities. Paid all my credit cards off and now have only 1 for emergencies with no balance.
Being frugal is common sense. No one is going to teach you. People want your money.

Your mom may have got what she wanted but in the long run she is in debt which means she would have been better off if she did not get what she wanted.

You have $9,000 to pay off. Why did you have CC bills?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Those are exactly the type of sacrifices one makes to become rich later.

No pain, no gain.

And even with that lifestyle, she is blessed compare to people in third world countries especially Syria right now.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 PM

I had them from when I worked for 35 years. The 9000 is my car

Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
What matter is your future not how you grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living