Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 04:15 PM

6,268 posts, read 5,093,522 times

Advertisements

Have you ever picked anything off the side of the road that someone has thrown away for trash?

A few years ago I used to live near a very well-to-do neighborhood and I was really amazed at what people would throw out for the trash. I have picked up an old wooden sled, a beautiful pine armoire that I used as my TV stand, large ceramic planters, old metal lawn chairs, an old wooden army trunk, a handmade bird feeder, an old metal top table just to name a few.

It was during a period in my life when money was very tight, and I was stunned at what people would throw away.

I know someone who recently found a working treadmill tossed out for the trash, and someone else who found a wonderful old metal cat door-stop. Has anyone else done this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 05:00 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,329,788 times
That is where I "shop" for my furniture as well as craigslist.org (for sale > free stuff).

Found some nice couches and stuffed chairs.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,722,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Have you ever picked anything off the side of the road that someone has thrown away for trash?
Nope.

And if I ever do have a larger item to put out for trash which I cannot donate or otherwise get rid of, I will ensure that it is rendered unusable before putting it out so I don't have people going through my garbage.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:55 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,372,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Nope.

And if I ever do have a larger item to put out for trash which I cannot donate or otherwise get rid of, I will ensure that it is rendered unusable before putting it out so I don't have people going through my garbage.

I agree with you on that! First of all, who wants strangers milling around your place? Second, there are personal pieces of info in your garbage. Let's all stay out of the dumpster-diving, shall we~

Old 03-23-2012, 08:23 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,383,418 times
Quote:
Nope.

I feel just the opposite. If I have a large item to throw out, I would rather it go to someone for free who could use it, instead of Goodwill, who will over charge for it. I was amazed when I cleaned out my house in Arizona to redecorate and remodel. I asked my handymen if he could help me get the stuff in the truck, and he said "No need to do that, just put it on the curb and it will be gone in no time flat" He was absolutely right. Within the hour it was gone.

I know some people can pick up things only to turn around and sell them, but that is OK too. I'm helping someone earn a living. Either way you win.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:31 AM

356 posts, read 836,095 times
Quote:
Nope.

Why would you do that?

See, where I grew up, if someone had something they didn't want they'd put it out by the side of the road specifically FOR someone to take.

And where I live now, many, many ppl put things out by the dumpsters (apartment buildings) and lots of ppl I think come around to see what's out and if it's worth taking or if it's truly garbage. I've gotten a few things.

My favorite site is Freecycle though, b/c it feels much safer than Craigslist to me and I've gotten some amazing things ppl want to get rid of. Brand new carpet cleaner, box of 80 cds in great condition, a couple tvs, etc. Of course I live in a ridiculously high COL area & it seems most ppl here prefer to get rid of things they no longer want rather than attempt to sell them.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:19 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,722,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
Why would you do that?
Mainly, because it is something I bought so, therefore, it is my choice to decide what to do with it. Usually, if I have something I want to get rid of I will make every effort to donate it. I tried selling some old appliances on CL once - too much hassle.

Bottom line - I paid for it. If someone else wants it they can pay me or I can get my tax deduction. It is not my job to provide stuff for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ker8 View Post
And where I live now, many, many ppl put things out by the dumpsters (apartment buildings) and lots of ppl I think come around to see what's out and if it's worth taking or if it's truly garbage. I've gotten a few things.
A number of years ago when I was still in an apartment complex, there was a couple who started coming out with a pickup truck and rooting through everyone's trash on garbage day and take stuff out of it. After a few weeks in a row of this, several of us in the neighborhood got together, confronted them, and told them they were not welcome to come back and do that. Now that I own a house - anyone coming on my property to go through my garbage will be arrested for trespassing.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:37 PM

356 posts, read 836,095 times
^It's one thing if they're going thru your trashcan, that's weird and I agree cops should be called, but I still don't understand your aversion to putting something by the side of the road for someone to make use of if it's otherwise just going to the dump. (Basically what ppl do in the apartment complex, they place large items outside of the dumpster).

Maybe it just comes down to the way we grew up. My hometown was poorer than average (rust-belt) so throwing things away, even if you think it's junk, just seems wrong.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:02 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,113,067 times
I put things out hoping people will take them. And yes, I have gotten something off the sidewalk before. I've never seen anyone going through my garbage but people do take big stuff.

Old 03-23-2012, 03:48 PM

6,268 posts, read 5,093,522 times
I have left big items out hoping that someone would take them and they always do. I have also found things that I was ecstatic to have. I wouldn't take anything soft (mattresses, couches, chairs etc.) just because I feel uncomfortable not knowing what their stories are, but would have no hesitation taking metal chairs and tables, wood furniture, that sort of thing.

I have occasionally heard about people rummaging through garbage cans and leaving a mess all over the place, which is nasty and hugely inconsiderate, but there are nasty and inconsiderate people everywhere.

People can do whatever they feel comfortable doing on their own property and with their own belongings, so I understand and respect divergent thoughts on this (posts above). I don't actively go looking for curbside castoffs (anymore) but if I happen to come across something I like I would take it in a heart beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living