Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2015, 11:24 AM

2,170 posts, read 1,955,021 times

Advertisements

I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am with this thing. My wife and I just purchased a 2,500sq/ft house we hope to start a family in. For now we don't need to cool the whole house. My thermostat has a timer. So its off all day and all night, and just turns on about an hour before we get home from work and turns off around 11pm as we're going to bed.

Problem is we LOVE sleeping in the cold. I don't sleep well if its above 70 degrees. So instead of trying to super cool our whole house we got one of these portable LG air conditioner things for like $200 to keep in the bedroom. We just turn it on when we go up to bed and the room is 69 degrees in no time, it even has a digital timer so it turns off when our alarms go off. Our electric bill last month was only $202 and this month was only $170!!! The last place we lived was half the size and cost more a month.

Highly recommend!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 09:07 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,863,723 times
A ductless mini split would also work well if you are willing to make the investment. The smaller units are SEER33 and bigger SEER25 .

They are VERY efficient. I believe the most powerful Fujitsu unit uses 500 watts at full power and they modulate as much or little as needed.

Probably 1 unit would be overkill for 1 bedroom.... but you could probably leave the doors open and cool part or all of a floor depending on the size.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:53 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,488,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp501 View Post
I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am with this thing. My wife and I just purchased a 2,500sq/ft house we hope to start a family in. For now we don't need to cool the whole house. My thermostat has a timer. So its off all day and all night, and just turns on about an hour before we get home from work and turns off around 11pm as we're going to bed.

Problem is we LOVE sleeping in the cold. I don't sleep well if its above 70 degrees. So instead of trying to super cool our whole house we got one of these portable LG air conditioner things for like $200 to keep in the bedroom. We just turn it on when we go up to bed and the room is 69 degrees in no time, it even has a digital timer so it turns off when our alarms go off. Our electric bill last month was only $202 and this month was only $170!!! The last place we lived was half the size and cost more a month.

Highly recommend!!!
We have one large 12,000BTU window a/c in the LR/Kit. We have one 5 or 6,000 BTU window A/C in the Master BR, farthest room away from the LR/kit.

Between the two,even on 90+ degree days, they keep the place quite nice at 70 or less.

I have an oxygen machine in the BR, so the A/c helps keep it cool as the O2 machine puts out an inordinate amount of heat, making it very uncomfortable at night. We leave that A/c in the BR until mid-December, ad put it back in by April 1st. Only the coldest months is it not in the window.

I think our bill is reasonable.

We HAVE considered central a/c, but not here, maybe in the new house , but it will be the same there with the a/c units doing great job I think!

The cost is fairly cheap. But what price to put on comfort for a highly asthmatic oxygen-needing individual to breathe?

Old 09-21-2015, 01:35 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I have an oxygen machine in the BR, so the A/c helps keep it cool as the O2 machine puts out an inordinate amount of heat, making it very uncomfortable at night.
Theoretically, you could save money by putting the O2 machine outside and just running the tubes inside, but that would be a big pain and difficult to protect from the weather.

You could still save some money by putting it close to a wall and under a cover ( something that looks like a cabinet with a top and sides, but no back, so that some of the heat would transfer though the wall and not into your living space.

Even better, you could cut out the drywall and pull the insulation from a small section that the cover makes invisible. Then, in the winter, you could put the insulation back, as well as the sheetrock.

My late father used to keep his in the basement which was always cool, so he was effectively transferring heat into the ground.

All electric appliances and electronics cost double when they are inside the air conditioned environment. Once to run the thing ( ie. coffee maker ) and again to cool the air that had heat added to it. Toaster ovens make more sense than the oven many times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living