Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 12:25 PM

154 posts, read 421,790 times

Advertisements

Thought I'd start a discussion on being frugal so you can live where you want. I want to hear about some of the most frugal/cheap things you do to cut costs. I don't mean reusing paper towels, that's a bit much. I don't have the patience for that. Do you buy in bulk and is there REAL savings in that or just hype to get you to buy larger.
Do you buy much meat? So expensive. Please give some input on such things. I know a lot of people in the same boat. THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 01:16 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
Thought I'd start a discussion on being frugal so you can live where you want. I want to hear about some of the most frugal/cheap things you do to cut costs. I don't mean reusing paper towels, that's a bit much. I don't have the patience for that. Do you buy in bulk and is there REAL savings in that or just hype to get you to buy larger.
Do you buy much meat? So expensive. Please give some input on such things. I know a lot of people in the same boat. THANKS
this should be fun;;; I am anything but frugal for the most part, hubby wishes I was more so, but I do a couple really odd things I guess. The other day I bought some new reading glasses and they came in a container that was exactly the size of a butter dish. So, I decided to keep the container (complete with top) and use it for just that, a butter dish. I make my own seasoning salt as well, but that is because I love to cook and think it is fun. Like many people today, I do not get in the car unless I have at least 3 or 4 errands I can run, but I have almost always done this. Of course we only eat at restaurants where we have some sort of a coupon. I guess those are the things that come to mind. Oh, one other one, when I am making say, meat balls, I will make about 20 or 30 at once or if I am making cocktail ones I will make as many as 70 or so and freeze them is bags of about 25.

Nita

Old 06-25-2012, 01:25 PM

154 posts, read 421,790 times
Default Frugal

Now,THAT's what I'm talkin about Butter dish huh, cool......

Old 06-25-2012, 01:28 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times
Great idea for a topic. I try very hard to be frugal, although there are some things that, as I get older, I tend to spend more money on. For example, services. I now pay the neighborhood kids to shovel the driveway after a heavy snow. In younger years I was to cheap to do that but now I'd rather pay a few bucks than have a sore back.

Regarding bulk stores, I'm a huge fan of them. We have been able to save quite a bit shopping at Costco. The trick is to divide most of it into small portions when you get home and freeze it. And don't buy things that can go bad in a short time. We've cut down significantly on meat consumption both for frugal reasons and for our health. One Costco rotisserie chicken now makes four meals for us.

The biggest challenge to frugality that we have is my husband's family. They're going through a "outdoing the Jones'" phase lately and my husband is very susceptible to feeling that we need to spend money on things we don't really want just because his three sisters have done it.

One great thing about retirement is having the time to make foods yourself, and make them in bulk so you can store it away for future use. I just made a huge batch of chutney for about $12. I now have enough to last through the rest of the year--if I had bought that much in a store it would have cost about $70-80.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,965,744 times
We do have a Retiring on a Shoestring thread, much of which deals with frugality in retirement, FYI.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:16 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,453 times
I go to the library instead of purchasing books.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:20 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
... Do you buy much meat? So expensive. Please give some input on such things. I know a lot of people in the same boat. THANKS
We grow our own meat. It is a little cheaper, but not much.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:04 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
Frequent golfer: always looking for the cheapest green fees via golfnow.com. Play middle of the day in FLA when fees are cheapest due to hottest/humid weather.

Frequent music concert and sports event attender: only get the cheap seats (outfield, upper decks, etc).

Don't take unnecessary/leisure trips in the car - try to consolidate trips to save gas $$.

Don't go to the beach as much (gas $$) in FLA.

Use Redbox for movies instead of paying $6-10/ticket to see movies in theaters. Share NETFLIX streaming between a couple of family residences.

Use library for movies/books as well.

Goodwill for clothing - I wear out a lot of shirts/shorts here in FLA - don't pay $40 shirt when I get similar preworn shirts at a tenth of the price.

Drink instant coffee instead of expensive Keurig type - and few trips to Starbucks anymore (10 cents/cup vs >50 cents/cup).

Always use coupon for haircuts.

Driving a 10 yr old car.....still in great shape, but doesn't have the luxury/bells and whistles of the current cars on the market.

------------------------------

Last edited by BucFan; 06-26-2012 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-26-2012, 09:30 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,055,958 times
I don't get the dogs groomed anymore. Try to do it myself and it ain't easy !

Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
Go to restaurants for lunch instead of dinner. Dinner prices are usually higher.

Cancelled the newspaper subscription and now read news online. Once in awhile i'll buy a single newspaper, but not often. When subscribing to the hard copy, the news was old because printing deadline was 5pm the prior day. The online version is more up-to-date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living