U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 12:49 AM

32,798 posts, read 36,341,764 times

Advertisements

I got rid of my giant CRT and replaced it with a 40" flatscreen a little over a year ago because I couldn't move the (*#)$*(!!! thing and I got rid of the giant entertainment unit that became popular in the 1990's. My house felt twice as big after that . It wasn't that much money and was totally worth it for the freedom I feel. I donated the old one to some college boys who used it to play video games on. Haha.

I still have a 13" CRT in the guest room.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 05:29 PM

21 posts, read 21,472 times
I have a CRT TV. It does the job it needs to do. When this TV stops working, then I will buy a flat screen.

Old 08-13-2012, 06:00 PM

5,778 posts, read 13,233,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
We still have two huge 32 and 27 inch million pound nonflat tvs. I don't know another word for nonflat. My husband is chomping at the bit to replace them. But I refuse to until they break. They are Sonys and over 10 years old so it may still be a while!
We have 2 of them in my family's house, but that is because we cannot afford flat screens, though I plan to save for a nice 40+ inch LCD or LED sometime soon a few months down the road

Old 08-23-2012, 08:00 AM

6,563 posts, read 16,243,982 times
I still have my 27" Sony that I bought new several years ago. I'm not even sure why I bought it since I hardly ever watch TV! I'm sure it will outlive me.

I don't like today's flat screen TVs, anyway. The regular TV picture is stretched to accommodate film width, so you'll be watching the Super Bowl halftime show thinking, "Wow, Madonna is fat!" when no, the image is stretched, making her look fat!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:24 PM

20 posts, read 29,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I don't like today's flat screen TVs, anyway. The regular TV picture is stretched to accommodate film width, so you'll be watching the Super Bowl halftime show thinking, "Wow, Madonna is fat!" when no, the image is stretched, making her look fat!
I gotta say you are wrong on this point. Yes you can make your HDTV do that, my Dad does, but then your TV isn't set for the best picture.

Old 08-25-2012, 04:56 PM

32,601 posts, read 53,088,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzmanks View Post
I gotta say you are wrong on this point. Yes you can make your HDTV do that, my Dad does, but then your TV isn't set for the best picture.
We only watch things on our PCs. Though I am not sure of how to tweak to make sure they are showing the 'best' they could be showing.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 PM

228 posts, read 616,576 times
I have never bought a flat screen tv. Keep somehow receiving/finding CRT tvs. When we moved states last year we left our old CRT (which I had gotten for free from a co-worker) at the nearby university grad school housing area with the remote taped to the top (passing it forward, you can say), with a note that it worked. Intended to buy a flat screen when we got here, but found another CRT in the basement of our temporary apt building - with a note saying it worked. So we just used that. We are anticipating a move overseas in less than 6 months, so there really isn't any point to buying a flat screen tv.

We stream a lot of tv over our computers/tablet though.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:34 PM

12,408 posts, read 17,441,907 times
Hd is going to be replaced by something called 4k, which is supposed to be way better. Of coarse, when something new comes on the market the price is sky high, but competition often quickly brings it down, and then there will probably be a mad rush in lowering prices to try to be rid of the old Hd technology.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:56 AM

1,566 posts, read 2,913,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I still have my 27" Sony that I bought new several years ago. I'm not even sure why I bought it since I hardly ever watch TV! I'm sure it will outlive me.

youre completely wrong on this the picture these days on tvs is so much better than tvs from even 5 years ago

Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 PM

16,463 posts, read 27,369,526 times
I have 2 small flat screens at what, 14 inches, something like that, but I still have the CRT TV in my Living Room, it is in an entertainment center so whether you have a flat screen or CRT, yo never see the back anyway.

When it breaks I will get flat screen, but I am not throwing out a perfectly good TV, that actually hardly gets watched anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living