U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 02:20 AM

654 posts, read 3,229,322 times

Advertisements

I have a 27" Sony Trinitron I bought on CL a few months back for about $60, and works great....plus its one of the higher end models. Funny thing is, the built in speakers in these are miles ahead of the speakers in the flatscreens, but thats because they expect you to connect an external sound system to it.

Plus, playing legacy console games like NES, SNES and others look better in analog. Currently I only have one 40" Samsung LCD I bought in 2009, and so far still working great. But then again my TV isn't on 24/7 either.

I'm just not very quick to constantly upgrade technology. If I get left behind in the dark ages, then so be it. My mom still has the Panasonic 20" bought back in the late 90's and still works without missing a beat.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 06:19 AM

12,408 posts, read 17,420,794 times
I have a large older tv (over ten years) and a new smaller HD set.
I hate tv presentations that have a lot of black on black in the movie. I tried to watch the new series, Coppers. I sometimes don't, on tv series, remember all the incidents that occurred on the prior week and when they show a sepia tinted screen with black on black coloration I don't know which actor is saying what, which is so frustrating, so I just no longer watch.

I also like foriegn films and the subtitles are not always presented properly. My big set often shows them as blurry. My little set is in the bedroom and I'm too far away to read them properly.

Some films with actors from the UK have them mumbling their lines and the accents are sometimes thick. My old tv sound system is not too great, but I am close enough to be able to kind of concentrate on their lips, while the small set is just the opposite, with a much better sound system.

I think I am getting ready to buy a new set, but maybe I should wait a few years for the new 4k technology to iron out bugs as well as bring down the price.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,021,290 times
DH and I have no TV, period. Until a few years ago I had a regular 'old' one. Neither of us have ever personally owned a flatscreen.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:16 AM

2,894 posts, read 7,134,908 times
We only have one small flat screen in the kitchen. When the broadcasters changed to digital, we had to get one as it is not connected to cable in the kitchen. We still have 3 other CRT TVS in the house including one that I bought new in 1985 (it still works!). I would love a flat screen, but since these sets are still working and we watch very little TV now, can't justify buying one at this time. But yeah, I would definitely like one like say a 46" model.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:21 PM

10,885 posts, read 12,381,707 times
All older ones till we moved, then sold all 3. Now, a small newer one, just enough size for the room. But, if we hadn't moved, I would still be watching the old sets.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:56 PM

10,139 posts, read 15,412,683 times
I have an 8 year old flat screen, and a 25 year 19" old tv from Panasonic I am watching right now.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:05 PM

3,875 posts, read 8,175,836 times
My family has 2 old TVs. One's a SONY that's got to be over 20 years old (We've had it since before I was born, so I don't even know when we bought it ). The other one's a Toshiba that's around 15 years old. The Toshiba works perfectly, and while the SONY has it's occasional issues, it's fine too (**knock wood**).

I think we've been watching more TV compared to past years, though. When I was a little kid, it would be more like an hour or hour and a half each night, whereas now, it's probably closer to 3 hours. But the good thing is that at least we don't have any type of video games hooked up to it.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:05 PM

465 posts, read 453,391 times
I still have a little camper TV/VCR combo that's all I need. My elderly mom has a flat screen and so does the living room but both are within the last couple of years when the old ones went caput.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 PM

5,754 posts, read 10,665,662 times
We've an old TV and the most basic of cable..and only that to get any reception at all. The computer has replaced most TV for me, and the TV is mostly for viewing videos and sometimes PBS programs. Sorry, but most mainstream TV programming leaves me cold. Give me a book and my imagination.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:37 PM

8,092 posts, read 14,028,932 times
For those of you who have bought a flat screen, you may want to check out this post over in the Freebie Forum ...

If You Bought a TV, Monitor, or Notebook Computer from 1/1/99-12/31/06 You are owed a refund
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living