U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 01:49 PM

12,054 posts, read 21,300,489 times

Advertisements

Over the past 4 years we have replaced some of our old television sets with flat screens, but we still have two or three regular tv sets. What really surprised me was on ABC World News the other night. It seems that if you are having your home appraised that a flat screen tv will help to increase the value of your home. I found this unbelievable. I don't replace tv sets unless the other sets have pretty much died. Can't see replacing a set just to have your home appraise at a higher value, but that is what one couple did and it helped to make a difference.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 03:14 PM

18,088 posts, read 16,552,593 times
I don' have a TV at all. Complete waste of time. Internet is all I really need.

Old 09-30-2012, 11:59 AM

15,171 posts, read 25,992,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Over the past 4 years we have replaced some of our old television sets with flat screens, but we still have two or three regular tv sets. What really surprised me was on ABC World News the other night. It seems that if you are having your home appraised that a flat screen tv will help to increase the value of your home. I found this unbelievable. I don't replace tv sets unless the other sets have pretty much died. Can't see replacing a set just to have your home appraise at a higher value, but that is what one couple did and it helped to make a difference.

For $20-30, you can RENT a PROP of a big screen TV like they do in all of the model homes in the area. I know that sounds goofy but unless you are really looking at them, they look real.

A good REALTOR should be able to help you with that and with the proper staging of the home.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:07 PM

4,527 posts, read 7,836,158 times
I am storing an older JVC 38 inch screen TV in my garage for a neighbor that moved and didn't have room for it on the moving truck. He said we would split what ever I got for it if it sold within one month or if it didn't sell within a month I could keep it. It looks like I own it now. The thing weighs a TON and when it was new it probably cost more than a grand.

I am going to set it up in an entertainment center and leave it in the garage so I can watch football games on week ends. It was a top of the line set ten years ago but in my apartment I have a 32 inch slim Emerson that doubles as a Computer Monitor and TV that uses almost no electricity and has a fantastic picture. I bought it on sale at WalMart for just over $200 and it was delivered to my front door. It only weighs about twenty pounds.

GL2

Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,008,227 times
DH & I have no TV. Period.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:24 AM

3,699 posts, read 5,716,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I still have my 27" Sony that I bought new several years ago. I'm not even sure why I bought it since I hardly ever watch TV! I'm sure it will outlive me.

I don't like today's flat screen TVs, anyway. The regular TV picture is stretched to accommodate film width, so you'll be watching the Super Bowl halftime show thinking, "Wow, Madonna is fat!" when no, the image is stretched, making her look fat!
This is not correct at all unless you have your picture settings incorrect.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:28 AM

29,989 posts, read 34,254,107 times
all of my tv's are "flat."

its nice to be able to basically carry them right out of the store like a briefcase compared to the old fat tv's.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:41 AM

5,317 posts, read 8,263,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
We still have two huge 32 and 27 inch million pound nonflat tvs. I don't know another word for nonflat. My husband is chomping at the bit to replace them. But I refuse to until they break. They are Sonys and over 10 years old so it may still be a while!
The old tube sets use a lot more electricity than newer flat screens, so you are paying more just to operate them.

These large old tube sets are essentially worthless, so you'll have a hard time selling them. You may find you'll have to either give them away for free, or bring them to a recycle center. Don't believe me, check craigslist, and see how many people are giving away free TVs. You'd be really lucky if someone offers you $25 - $50 for a set which probably cost you $500 - $1000 back when they were new.

I currently have only new flat panel TV's, and they are so much nicer than the old tube TVs. 32" and 27" are small in today's world of flat panel TVs. Once you have a large flat panel TV in your living room, you'll wonder why you waited so long to get it. My 42" Vizio living room tv is mounted to a wall on a swivel mount and it takes up no more room than a picture on the wall, so it frees up a lot of floor space. There are much larger TVs available, but I decided 42" was large enough for my needs.

I highly recommend Vizio sets. They are a relatively new brand, but they give you a lot for your money. I have several Vizio tvs myself, and have friends who own them as well. We all love them.

Another thing about LCD TVs is they offer High Definition pictures. Once you have HDTV you won't want to switch back. The clarity difference is huge.

Last edited by RD5050; 10-09-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Old 10-09-2012, 11:59 AM

5,317 posts, read 8,263,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I still have my 27" Sony that I bought new several years ago. I'm not even sure why I bought it since I hardly ever watch TV! I'm sure it will outlive me.

I don't like today's flat screen TVs, anyway. The regular TV picture is stretched to accommodate film width, so you'll be watching the Super Bowl halftime show thinking, "Wow, Madonna is fat!" when no, the image is stretched, making her look fat!
Check your owners manual.

You can change the mode of the display between Normal, Wide, Panoramic, so it may be a simple press of a button on your remote to get the picture looking normal and not stretched.

You may also have not preset the TV display correctly. You may need to go into the display settings screen, and tell it which mode to use (4:3, 16:9, etc.). Sometimes these modes are referred to as Full Screen, Letterbox, and Widescreen.

Once your tv is properly set up, you shouldn't have any display issues.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:19 AM

16,434 posts, read 20,188,762 times
I have an old tube type and a new LCD. The old one has a better picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living