Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 12:27 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,735 times

Advertisements

We have four tube TVs that are in excellent shape. Two of them are 10 yrs old, one is 9 yrs old, and one is 8 yrs old. I have no intention of replacing them until they konk out, which may be at least another 10-15 years since they are top brands. As long as the picture is clear, I'm happy. I see no need for flat screens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 08:23 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,067 times
3 tube TV's here

Everyone was so willing to get rid of them so we took them.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:25 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
There are still old style TV's in my house. We got the flat-screen TVs sometime in 2010.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:20 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I have a tube style that's maybe 8 years old. It's sitting in my storage room, because I don't have cable and do all my online streaming via my laptop.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:34 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
We still have two huge 32 and 27 inch million pound nonflat tvs. I don't know another word for nonflat. My husband is chomping at the bit to replace them. But I refuse to until they break. They are Sonys and over 10 years old so it may still be a while!
"Non-flat" TV's = picture-tube TV's. I held onto mine until I finally just gave it away and live TV-less. Now I regret it, because it had built-in VHS and DVD players (Sony). I'm left with a pile of great VHS films without a player. You're right to hold onto quality as long as it lasts.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:24 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,982,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"Non-flat" TV's = picture-tube TV's. I held onto mine until I finally just gave it away and live TV-less. Now I regret it, because it had built-in VHS and DVD players (Sony). I'm left with a pile of great VHS films without a player. You're right to hold onto quality as long as it lasts.
Check the flea markets. People are always selling old vcrs ... often for around $5.

I switched to only LCD screens this past year, and I love them. The picture quality is outstanding.

People who think their old tube sets have a better picture are missing out on High Definition TV. (HDTV).

I practically gave away my tube tvs for next to nothing, and never missed them one bit. It's just like old computers. Newer computers are so much faster and better, that eventually the older ones become obsolete, and practically worthless, and you sometimes have to give them away for free, or bring them to an electronics recycling center just to get them out of your home. I constantly see people giving away large screen tube TVs on Craigslist in their Free Items section.

Having a 42" LCD TV mounted to my living room wall is extremely cool. It takes up no space, and it feels like I have my own movie theater. It's on a swivel wall mount, so I can rotate it to view from other rooms. It's so great not having a large tube set taking up space on my floor anymore.

I'd highly recommend people buy an LCD ... even a small one ... just to see how great they are. That's how I got started. First I bought a 22" VIZIO LCD, I was immediately hooked, and purchased a 42" VIZIO, and then also another 22" VIZIO for the bedroom. VIZIO is a relatively new brand, but they make great TVs, and they are on the lower end of the price range.

Another nice thing about LCD's is you can connect them to your DVD player and BluRay player using HDMI cables, to get the highest quality picture from these players. You can't do that with older tube tvs.

Also, if you don't have cable ... purchase an indoor or outdoor digital antenna ... and plug it into your LCD. Free broadcast stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, FOX, and several more) are now in High Definition, and the picture and sound quality is outstanding. The quality of free over the air broadcasted digital TV is so good it's like watching a DVD.

Last edited by RD5050; 10-27-2012 at 06:50 AM..

Old 10-27-2012, 07:47 AM

344 posts, read 427,617 times
I am not a big spender or have to keep up with the Joneses by any means, but I will have a nice Television setup. I work too darn hard in life not to enjoy my sports. I dont watch a ton of TV when its not football season, just not a lot on that interest me.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I find that TV has become wholly unnecessary in my life. What I do watch, I watch streaming online, I haven't chosen to have cable or satellite at all during my adult life (I lived with somebody for five years who, for the last couple of years we were together, decided to get cable for sports viewing, but I'd have done without, no question). Any movies or shows I watch, I watch on my laptop. I like not having my living space dominated by TV, entertainment/media centers, etc. Having a nice television setup is not by any means a priority.

I don't watch televised sports often, but for the few times I do, it's fine to go to a nicer sports bar and watch with others on a bigger screen than I'd buy, anyway.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:35 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
I found that on my 24 year old 27" screen it was getting really annoying to see so much advertising of upcoming shows overlaid on what ever program I was watching. Since I've had some hearing loss I often utilize closed captioning. Combine those two things and there is darn little screen left.

So I finally got fed up and turned in my cable box since it is so expensive to get the few shows that I'm interested in watching. I've done long chunks of time without TV in my life, even before there was Netflix and internet as alternative sources.

Maybe I'll get more projects done around the place, take the dogs for more walks, go to the library more frequently, grow a better garden, etc.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:35 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,167,756 times
I love my 52 inch lcd
I bought it in 2007 for about 2 grand after shopping around and finding a great deal
A better model of the same size would cost 800 dollars or so now
I love sports which it's great for
When i see replays of old games that arent in hd I wonder how I used to watch that.
Even if you don't want to spend the money keep in mind they are a lot more energy efficient so they will pay for themselves in a few years.
I am not a keeping up with the jones mentality- if you saw me most days you wouldnt think I had much money but I am big on paying for things with function like a quality tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living