U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 04:28 PM

9,959 posts, read 4,856,739 times

Advertisements

No TVs at all. We had an old Sony, but when we moved cross-country some years ago we figured it might well not survive, so we sold it at the garage sale. Never bought a replacement. Never seen the need. No cable TV bills. Basic internet only. No subscriptions to various streaming services, etc., etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 08:49 AM

33,031 posts, read 24,057,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
We still have two huge 32 and 27 inch million pound nonflat tvs. I don't know another word for nonflat. My husband is chomping at the bit to replace them. But I refuse to until they break. They are Sonys and over 10 years old so it may still be a while!

Fat screen TV?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:03 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,527,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
No TVs at all. We had an old Sony, but when we moved cross-country some years ago we figured it might well not survive, so we sold it at the garage sale. Never bought a replacement. Never seen the need. No cable TV bills. Basic internet only. No subscriptions to various streaming services, etc., etc.
Now that is what I call frugal, but it would be hard for most of us to live in today's society without TV at all. I guess, if nothing else we could get our news from the internet, but I prefer to get a cross section which is only possible with TV, plus sports. If one is a sports fan, a TV is almost a must. Fall, football and no TV: that would be pure punishment.

We have a large flat screen because our granddaughter gave it to us when she and hubby replaced their old one. In our bedroom we have our old fat TV, which is 17 years old and still alive and well.

Old 06-27-2017, 12:44 PM

8,313 posts, read 8,697,530 times
MY TVs were -- notice, "were" -- from 2003 or earlier -- and still had the big back sticking out of the rear of the TV. AND they were heavy as crap. The TVs I bought for my mom in 2014 were all flat screen. I think that's all I could get by then. I have to admit I DO appreciate TVs being much lighter than in the past. I recently had to move my old 27" TV from on floor to another. That thing was heavy as could be.

I had a big everything must go estate sale -- priced the TVs (also a 19") at $5.00! -- and STILL had no takers. I couldn't GIVE them away -- and ended up just taking them to the dump.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:39 PM

1,067 posts, read 999,177 times
I got rid of my last CRT TV about 5 years ago. It was a 1998 27" Sony. As much as I value my money and keeping things as long as it is practical, those CRT TVs were so heavy. So much easier to move my 35" Phillips flatscreen.

Old 06-27-2017, 10:01 PM

19,997 posts, read 9,650,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
We still have two huge 32 and 27 inch million pound nonflat tvs. I don't know another word for nonflat. My husband is chomping at the bit to replace them. But I refuse to until they break. They are Sonys and over 10 years old so it may still be a while!
LOL that may be quite a while. My CRT bedroom TV has been going since I was a teen. It was my LR TV for a while and then relegated again to the bedroom when I bought a larger CRT for the LR.

I'd still use it in the BR if not for the fact that I changed from cable to antenna/streaming, and buying a 32" flat screen for $85 on Black Friday made more sense than a converter box.....

I'd like to know what to do with it. It still works........

Old 06-28-2017, 08:48 AM

8,313 posts, read 8,697,530 times
^^ Do you want to keep it? or give it away? or Donate it?

There are sites where you can post that you have stuff for free available if the person will just come pick it up.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:03 PM

19,997 posts, read 9,650,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ Do you want to keep it? or give it away? or Donate it?

There are sites where you can post that you have stuff for free available if the person will just come pick it up.
Yeah, but who wants a CRT tv?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:18 PM

700 posts, read 688,715 times
No tv, local (state) news stream broadcasts, lots of free shows on YouTube, etc.

No newspapers delivered either, all are online and free. Do wish we could get fresh milk delivered in those cute little bottles like my grandparents, (actually it was my great-grandparents). We don't have a party-line rotary telephone either, lol.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:28 AM

5,699 posts, read 6,505,055 times
No. I gave it up when I moved. I own a small flat screen that is easy to move around. I think it is pushing 10 years. I hear they have smart TVs now. When I buy my home, I will put the small one in the bedroom and buy a nice big one for the living room. It is not as expensive as it was before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living