U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 03:59 PM

4,359 posts, read 6,309,171 times

Advertisements

^^Yeah, I'd have to say that if you have to ask, you probably have never seen anything in HD. It's not even comparable. HD (1080p) blows SD (480i) away.

Also, with as inexpensive and efficient as the new LCD models have become, you'll pay for the new TV (square inch relative) in few years by what you won't pay in an electric bill. For example a 4:3 32" CRT will consume 150W+ but its effective viewing area is much smaller when trying to view anything 16:9 native (this is the new norm). Essentially, it's like watching a 27" flat panel. The average 27" flat panel LCD uses about 1/3 of the power. So, if it's on for, say, 8 hours per day, the relative flat panel will save you about $40 annually in power costs. In 5 years, the thing is paid for.

Now if you buy a 50" flat panel, any savings will be completely negated. However, rest assured that your viewing experience will be 10x better. One thing is for sure, putting any money into an old CRT set is a complete waste.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 04:05 PM

32,709 posts, read 53,277,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
... Now if you buy a 50" flat panel, any savings will be completely negated. However, rest assured that your viewing experience will be 10x better. One thing is for sure, putting any money into an old CRT set is a complete waste.
How do you put money 'into' an item that is no longer marketed?

Old 07-05-2012, 06:09 PM

9,423 posts, read 10,626,514 times
I guess I dont care about the most detailed details or more realistic color in a picture to replace a perfectly good TV.

Now, when I move in 6 months, I am not taking any TVs (or any big stuff) with me, so I will need to buy something when I get to my new city. Will I rush out and buy an expensive flat panel? Doubtful. I'll likely first see if I can find a TV like my old one second hand for a good price.

And just in case anyone is wondering, I am not one of those "I dont like change or new technology" people. I have a smart phone, and I am pretty adaptive to new technologies. I just dont place much importance on TVs I guess.

Also, a friend has a very large flat panel TV wall mounted in his theater room in the basement of his house. I cant remember if it is plasma or LCD, but I know he paid a lot for it. It's got a fancy surround sound system, etc. I've watched movies on it and sure, the picture was great. Does it make me like my own TVs less? No.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,456,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Plasmas aren't as bad in consumption of power as they used to be.
Youre right, the NEWEST Plasma TVs only use about 1.6 times the power of an LCD and well over twice the power of an LED.

Quote:
They aren't really being "phased out" either.
Go to any store that sells TVs. Just 3 years ago, half the wall would be Plasmas. Now Plasmas represent maybe 1/4 of the TVS.

Some flat panel companies have dropped Plasmas altogether

Two major TV manufacturers drop plasma even as sales boom | Macworld

Even as far out as 2009, LCDs were already outselling Plasmas nearly 3 to 1

Plasma TV Prices Plummet | PCWorld

If you actually read around, largely the only thing that is buoying Plasma is the fact that its generally cheaper when compared to LCDs, and instead of calculating the tremendous difference in power consumption in to the equation, people just go for the couple hundred less price tag and the slightly better picture (depending on model).

Quote:
I just purchased a brand new Panasonic plasma and the price certainly wasn't bargain basement.
Compared to an equivalent LCD or LED LCD TV, yeah it was.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:40 AM

8,047 posts, read 25,948,824 times
I think it also depends on how good your eyes are. Between our 10+ year old 35" TV and on our new, HD 60" TV, and the only difference I notice is the bigger picture. But I don't usually wear my glasses when watching TV (I only wear them to drive, or when I need to read something at a distance (like in a class, or a subtitled movie). So because my eyes aren't perfect, I don't see much difference in picture quality.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:56 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,920,823 times
if you can't tell the diff in picture quality b/w a ten year old tv and your hd 60 inch i really hope you never forget your glasses when you drive

Old 07-06-2012, 12:58 PM

749 posts, read 759,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
I watch a lot of TV (shows and movies ) and really couldn't care less about picture clarity. If I can see it I'm good. I don't need all the details. It's kind of like the debate about movies being letterbox or not. Some argue that if it isn't letterbox you are.missing so much, etc. I don't care about what i might be missing, I don't like letterbox either
Then you've saved yourself some money, haven't you?

Enjoy!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:00 PM

749 posts, read 759,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
All "flat screens" are not created equal. Plasma TVs for instance, are power hungry monsters and often suck out considerably more power than a CRT. Thats why they cant give them away, and they are practically being phased out by LCD and LED models.

I've never seen an LCD or LED that can hang with a good plasma, picture-wise. Getting closer....but not there yet.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:15 PM

13,719 posts, read 27,442,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
All "flat screens" are not created equal. Plasma TVs for instance, are power hungry monsters and often suck out considerably more power than a CRT. Thats why they cant give them away, and they are practically being phased out by LCD and LED models.
You are misinformed. Older plasmas did indeed use a bit of electricity. But today's plasmas are much more efficient and use about $60 of electricity per year. More than LCD/LED TVs, but not significant. The annual cost difference is probably about $30-$40.

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/t...umption-chart/

As for giving them away, today's plasmas are less expensive size for size than LCD/LED TVs and outperform them. That's why videophiles typically choose a plasma from Panasonic or Samsung. A frugal buyer concerned about picture quality would do well to choose plasma instead of LCD/LED.

Last edited by hoffdano; 07-06-2012 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-19-2012, 11:07 AM

4,257 posts, read 4,736,955 times
I got this beast of a Sony, 27 inch, has a flat screen, but old tube job, 160 lbs, great picture, 100 dollars at an estate
sale..love this thing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living