Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 07:15 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times

Advertisements

I had a 32 inch Phillips tube TV until just recently. It was a High Definition TV, so I saw no need to replace it, but I got a deal on a new 42 inch flat screen TV I couldn't pass up. My parents Samsung Flat screen TV power supply broke and wouldn't turn on any more, so they just went out and brought a new Flat screen TV. With little research I found out there 2 capacitors that fail on the power supply, I was able to desolder the failed components and solder two new higher voltage replacements on to the power supply. Total cost, $4.

I've been looking on Craigslist for people selling / giving away other Samsung TV's with similar issues, they are easy to fix, and I need more Flat Screen TV's for my bedrooms.

As for the Phillips Tube TV, it weighs 70 pounds. I tried to sell in on Craigslist for a couple of weeks, gave up, put it at the end of my driveway, with the remote and a sign that said, "Free". Someone was loading it into there truck before I was able to walked back to my garage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 07:15 AM

749 posts, read 838,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Speaking for myself, the Sony TVs aren't fuzzy globes. They have a flat screen though they are tube TVs. The picture on them is very good. How much more detail could I possibly be missing?
More than you can possibly fathom....seriously.

Been down the same road you're on now.

A Pioneer plasma later.....and that road is MUCH sweeter one to travel now.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:47 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftyTrav View Post
More than you can possibly fathom....seriously.

Been down the same road you're on now.

A Pioneer plasma later.....and that road is MUCH sweeter one to travel now.

I watch a lot of TV (shows and movies ) and really couldn't care less about picture clarity. If I can see it I'm good. I don't need all the details. It's kind of like the debate about movies being letterbox or not. Some argue that if it isn't letterbox you are.missing so much, etc. I don't care about what i might be missing, I don't like letterbox either

Old 07-05-2012, 09:21 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
2) With the amount of heat that the flat screens throw off, it is really hard for me to believe that the old ones use more energy. Ditto as the friends in #1 saw their electric bill go up.
All "flat screens" are not created equal. Plasma TVs for instance, are power hungry monsters and often suck out considerably more power than a CRT. Thats why they cant give them away, and they are practically being phased out by LCD and LED models.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:24 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,431,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
My parents Samsung Flat screen TV power supply broke and wouldn't turn on any more, so they just went out and brought a new Flat screen TV. With little research I found out there 2 capacitors that fail on the power supply, I was able to desolder the failed components and solder two new higher voltage replacements on to the power supply. Total cost, $4.

The capacitor replacement is an easy fix for those who are knowledgeable and have the right tools. I found many internet discussions and you-tube videos about the Samsung capacitor issue and how to replace the blown capacitors.

A class action lawsuit was filed against Samsung for using cheap Chinese capacitors that Samsung knew would fail but hoped the failure wouldnt happen until after the warranty expired. That litigation was recently settled. I hope your parents were able to submit a claim form and recoup some of the $$$ they spent on the TV.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:17 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,812,137 times
had a 32 inch sony die on me so i replaced it with a 60 inch sharp led 3d set and a sony 3d blue ray player

Old 07-05-2012, 01:13 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,783,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
That litigation was recently settled. I hope your parents were able to submit a claim form and recoup some of the $$$ they spent on the TV.
You know I never had much luck with class action lawsuits. My wife had a Honda Accord lease and was charged for going over the allowed mileage. A class action lawsuit was settled because the odometer wasn't calibrated correctly. I filed, but never received a dime, I checked later, the website said all claims were paid.

I submitted two claims in regards to false advertising for Mower HP, originally my share was suppose to be over $150, I received $21.

I'm still waiting Debeers class action lawsuit money, I'm suppose to get around $2,000 for this one. I've yet to see a cent.

I received notice of a class action lawsuit for computer memory price fixing, however I can't even remember when I purchased the memory, let along have receipts for it.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:26 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
All "flat screens" are not created equal. Plasma TVs for instance, are power hungry monsters and often suck out considerably more power than a CRT. Thats why they cant give them away, and they are practically being phased out by LCD and LED models.
Plasmas aren't as bad in consumption of power as they used to be. They aren't really being "phased out" either. I just purchased a brand new Panasonic plasma and the price certainly wasn't bargain basement.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:21 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
The picture on them is very good. How much more detail could I possibly be missing?
A lot. Have you seen a modern HDTV with an HD broadcast or Blu-ray signal? Although Sony Trinitrons were terrific for a long time, a modern TV is dramatically better in every way. The picture is detailed, edge to edge, top to bottom, and with more natural color.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:38 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
We still have two huge 32 and 27 inch million pound nonflat tvs. I don't know another word for nonflat. My husband is chomping at the bit to replace them. But I refuse to until they break. They are Sonys and over 10 years old so it may still be a while!
I have two 25+ yr. old Mitsubishi TV's which still work just fine since I'm unwilling to pay more for HDTV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living