Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 PM

79 posts, read 139,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
The work rule had applied only to childless adults. Currently, childless adults in the following 46 states are not required to work for food stamps due to the recession, at least through 9/30/2012:

Not on the list are New Hampshire, North Carolina, North and South Dakota, and Vermont, although they may have exemptions, there as well. Find it hard to believe Vermont would have a work rule.

Disabled and/or 60 and over would not be required, either.

I have a question that kind of relates to this but does not involve unemployment. My daughter is a full time college student who only works very part time at 10-15 hours per week. She is 22 with no kids and has an apartment that her and another schoolmate share. She receives a pell grant, state grant and a senatorial scholarship. She is a senior this year and it was the first time she had to take student loans. Her loans I believe are about 10k for this school year. After classes and books she has about 5k left to pay her bills and live off of.

She applied for food stamps last fall when she had around 3k left and was given one month of emergency food stamps but after that she was denied. They told her the reason for denial was that she was not in a work study program and she did not work more than 20hrs per week. This seems crazy to me that she makes less than she would if she was in work study or over 20 hours per week but can't qualify when working 10-15 hours. Of course this is in Maryland so obviously anything is possible here.

Have you ever heard of anything like this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM

109 posts, read 168,102 times
What's funny when I was single and poor the thought of food stamps never even entered my mind and such a small amount is just silly!! I can see for a family if you are truly in need but as a single person if you are physically able you really shouldn't be on food stamps...get another job! just my opinion. If you are going to school you need to figure that out....

Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 PM

79 posts, read 139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny72 View Post
What's funny when I was single and poor the thought of food stamps never even entered my mind and such a small amount is just silly!! I can see for a family if you are truly in need but as a single person if you are physically able you really shouldn't be on food stamps...get another job! just my opinion. If you are going to school you need to figure that out....

I do not disagree with what you are saying. I just do not understand the logic of you must work ten more hours and then you will qualify. You would think it would work in the opposite direction.

Old 01-23-2013, 01:23 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,463,917 times
I am not familiar with the food stamp program, generally, other than what I might pick up via Google. I do know income and other parameters vary by state. In WI, we have a very high income threshold - something like $1,851 a month before a single does not qualify. This is a shocking benchmark, considering many other states cut off food stamps at the $1,200/mo level, more or less.

The thinking on working more hours is to avoid "lazy people" doing no more than absolutely necessary to qualify. Social safety nets are perceived by many as unnecessary. Given the enormous wealth disparity and wage regression/stagnation over the past ten years, social safety nets are critical today as a societal stabilizer. I've never had to avail myself of them. However, I'm from a different era and had opportunities and wages/benefits not commonly available any longer. Sad times, imho.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 PM

245 posts, read 382,337 times
If you are still having trouble feeding yourself and your family, you can try going to the Food Bank.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 5,568 times
Default Food stamps for single adults without children

I was also getting unemployment for a while and wasn't eligible for any food stamps. Now I have no income and haven't for over a month so I'm going to apply. They don't care that your expenses exceed your income or EDD award. The system is not designed to help us make ends meet or even prevent homelessness. It is designed to keep people from starving to death. It is really insane what they expect people to live on. Even a full award for food stamps in California is only a bit over $120. a month. These days, that buys about one week's worth of groceries, maybe 1 and a half, if you're eating healthy, organic food! If you're living on Ramen Noodles and garbage, that is still barely enough to have 3 square meals a day. It is a total joke! I wish you the best of luck!!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,568 times
Princessnridge, these programs are not designed for students. I understand what you are saying and it is so sad. They expect people to support themselves and they don't want people using public assistance to support themselves while in college. I think it would be better to have an educated populace, but the state and federal government doesn't see it that way!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:17 AM

313 posts, read 496,864 times
I desperately needed food stamps when I was in college. I was working three jobs and a full time student trying to graduate. I got really sick because I wasn't eating well and I was overworking myself. If there was simply a program in Massachusetts at the time that would have given me a small amount for food (or even just a bag of canned beans on my doorstep once a month), I'd have been much more successful. Instead it was a serious struggle and I regret ever having to go to college. I feel like it has been a struggle ever since.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,348 times
If you live in ga have 300.00 car payment 153.00 car insurance 520 rent right now I get 23.00 food stamp if I add car and insurance will I get more stamp

Old 06-05-2015, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,348 times
Default Food stamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverlyirvinghotlady View Post
If you live in ga have 300.00 car payment 153.00 car insurance 520 rent right now I get 23.00 food stamp if I add car and insurance will I get more stamp
do I need to add this new information to my case I only get 1113 a month social security please let me know if I would get more stamp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living