Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:28 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,138,384 times

Advertisements

I like to strike a balance, driving an older car, having a smaller house to cut down on the bigger expenses - but enjoying foreign vacations(mostly where its very cheap to live). Buying a car, I will go for decent quality, for as low a price as I can get.
I will look for the cheapest options - but not spend large amounts of time or effort.

But at the same enjoy a starbucks, eating out when I like it, and cable tv - I think those people who are ultra frugal should use their talents at economizing/hard work involved to perhaps running a business, or looking for another job which pays better - I think its perhaps easier overall to earn more, than extreme efforts to save small amounts of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 02:06 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,123,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Those that are paying $100 a month and beyond for their tech toys are not frugal. The biggest money wasters are the top of the line cell phones. I just use mine to make calls, all the other features are money wasters.
Sez you... The Internet is out and I'm using my iPhone rt now.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:12 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyking View Post
I like to strike a balance, driving an older car, having a smaller house to cut down on the bigger expenses - but enjoying foreign vacations(mostly where its very cheap to live). Buying a car, I will go for decent quality, for as low a price as I can get.
I will look for the cheapest options - but not spend large amounts of time or effort.

But at the same enjoy a starbucks, eating out when I like it, and cable tv - I think those people who are ultra frugal should use their talents at economizing/hard work involved to perhaps running a business, or looking for another job which pays better - I think its perhaps easier overall to earn more, than extreme efforts to save small amounts of money.
I almost caved for a Starbucks yesterday, but my back was really bothering me, and I bailed instead. But here's my point -- being ultra frugal on a number of things THAT DON'T MATTER TO ME (instead of keeping up with the Joneses with stuff I don't care about -- funny -- that's actually my neighbors last name!) allows me to go for a Bux when I want. Which I have to admit, isn't very often.

By the way -- cable (in our case satellite) VERY important to us. As is eating out. Hubs has a thing for breakfast out.

Anyhow -- I think we need to accept that other people have different levels of acceptable frugality. We earn a good living from our main business and the dumpster diving thing was a way to let hubs buy his toys, whatever he wanted, without feeling guilty. Him buying what he wants allows me to indulge in fabric and my sewing obsession.

But I read yesterday somewher the average person spends about 1200 bucks on shoes every year. What? I bought a pair of sandals for my nieces wedding that ran 120 bucks and I'll be buying a new pair of Lands End all weather leather moc for 50. Those sandals are really good and comfortable and should carry me for a two years or three.... So I have four pairs of shoes -- my Lands end, my new balance sneakers, and two pairs of sandals.... I'm good for another year -- I usually buy a pair of sneaks and a moc yearly.

But we don't live a lifestyle where I need fancy dress shoes or go out so often that I can't repeat clothes.

Any person that comes on and says I'm cheap because of my shoe buying habits doesn't understand how I live.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:25 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Reading through some of the threads on this forum, I get the idea that many folks think living frugally means freeloading (or essentially being a bum). Living a simple life of minimized expenses (and possibly minimized income to match those minimized expenses) is not mandatorily the same as being a freeloader or some kind of dumpster diver. These terms are not universally synonymous. Why do some of us think they are?
Only the free-loaders would think like that....we don't dumpster dive (never would) because our frugality allows us to eat fresh, organic foods without picking through someone elses leftovers....I almost always buy second hand clothes, we never eat out, we don't travel, we don't vacation, we don't go to the movies, we don't use cell phones, we don't buy any furniture (never have), yet we are very happy living in our beautiful home on our acreage which we DO OWN because of it.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:35 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,670,441 times
To me being frugal means getting the most bang for your buck, living below your means, saving for the future, and being prudent with your spending.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:43 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,529,954 times
So what is wrong with being a "bum" or "freeloading" anyway? If I can get something for free, or if someone gives me something, why is that anyone else's business?

Old 09-04-2012, 08:54 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
So what is wrong with being a "bum" or "freeloading" anyway? If I can get something for free, or if someone gives me something, why is that anyone else's business?
Absolutely nothing wrong if you get something free without breaking laws or not paying your fair share.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:29 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Those that are paying $100 a month and beyond for their tech toys are not frugal.
Says who?

Quote:
The biggest money wasters are the top of the line cell phones. I just use mine to make calls, all the other features are money wasters.
OK - you have no use for other features available on smart phones, outside of making calls. For you those features have no value. Fine and dandy, but that does not mean that those features are "money wasters" in an absolute sense for everyone else.

For me, some of these features are quite handy, and can actually save me time and effort. In short, they are of value to me. For example:

I work with clients not only in the States, but in Europe and Australia as well, with time differences between my local time and my clients of anywhere from 1 to 14 hours. As such, having the ability to read and respond to e-mails anywhere at any time on my phone (as opposed to having to be in front of a computer) is a very worthwhile feature. I don't have to log on to my laptop to check e-mails during evenings and weekends, and if I go out of town for a day or two, I don't have to drag a computer with me just for that purpose. If a client in New South Wales sends me an e-mail at 9:00 AM their time, it pops up on my phone and I can reply to it immediately (at 7:00 PM my time) rather than an entire day later when I get back to my office.

I also travel a decent bit for my job (although not as much as I used to) and having a built-in GPS on my phone is invaluable for getting around in cities I am completely unfamiliar with. I don't need to pre-print out directions from the airport to my hotel or to a client's site and then try to read them as I drive (especially a pain in a lot of traffic or late at night). I can just plug in the address and have a voice tell me when to turn or get off at an exit. The web browsing and mapping functions are also a great way to find restaurants and other places while traveling, and this can come in very handy.

I have an app to store all of my flight and hotel info in one handy place (and which also notifies me of flight delays). I have all of my store loyalty cards stored right on my phone, so I don't have to carry a bunch of cards around with me. I also have an app on my phone that is essentially a guide to every type of pharmaceutical product available (invaluable for my job) which is constantly, automatically updated on a regular basis. A lot more convenient than a huge reference book (and which will not go out of date).

Just because you find no personal value in something, does not automatically mean that it does not have value for others.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:29 AM

25,702 posts, read 18,781,503 times
Quote:
Those that are paying $100 a month and beyond for their tech toys are not frugal. The biggest money wasters are the top of the line cell phones. I just use mine to make calls, all the other features are money wasters.
No argument from me. I don't even have a phone at all right now. When I do bother having one, it's a prepaid cell that I spend maybe $20 every three or four months on, if even that.

And "phone drunks" turned me off to "smart" phones a long, long time ago. There is nothing more rediculous and pathetic than seeing some zombie with his/her face glued to that stupidass little screen, eyes bulging and red, staggering along like he/she has been on a month-long drinking binge, barely aware of his/her surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
Nothing really wrong with it... unless someone else is paying your freight--like taxpayers, for instance. I'm all for getting by on next to mothing, as long as it's still a self-sufficient lifestyle. Being dependent or a parasite is not healthy, mentally or physically. And I do not consider it "frugal living."

Old 09-05-2012, 08:55 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,272,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong if you get something free without breaking laws or not paying your fair share.
What does "not paying your fair share" mean?....does that mean we should have paid something for the great chair we got on the side of the road?...getting some things for free is VERY easy,...why would you think it might be unlawful?...where I live, people put used furniture and other things that they no longer want, but are too good to throw away, at the side of the road....usually within a matter of just a day or two, they're gone....I like that someone else is making use of these things, and the benefit for the giver is that they don't have to pay to have it hauled away to the dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living