Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 02:01 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,239,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
And on top of this - if one is using a coupon or getting some other discount on their meal at a restaurant, the tip is to be made on the non-discounted total. If one can't / won't tip at least 15% for adequate service, one should not go out to eat.
I completely agree with that statement. I also err on the side of over-tipping breakfast servers. They work hard.

(Would rep you for that comment, but I guess I already did for something else.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 PM

465 posts, read 505,488 times
I almost always tip at least 20% and I think there's a difference between being frugal and being stingy. I think some people are just stingy. I know people that only will give $2 tip at most no matter the cost of the meal in a restaurant. To me that's what they live on you should tip well if at all possible.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:30 PM

32,757 posts, read 35,962,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I completely agree with that statement. I also err on the side of over-tipping breakfast servers. They work hard.

(Would rep you for that comment, but I guess I already did for something else.)
I've had to explain this to others. The amount of the bill doesn't always = the tip. If I were to go to a nice restaurant, order an appetizer and dinner or dinner and dessert (probably a drink) the tip would be quite a bit more.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:00 AM

893 posts, read 1,201,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
For me its not about spending less money and minimizing expenses but getting as much as possible with my disposable income.
Me too. And a lot of people don't seem to understand this. My friends will always make comments like "oh, you can afford to travel all over the world, but you won't spend $5 on [that]??"

Right! I'll pay hundreds or even thousands of dollars for something IF IT'S WORTH IT. But if it's not, even if it's a "low amount", just a couple dollars, I'll balk and try to avoid wasting my money on it.

My thought process is simply "do I really need this and/or is this product WORTH the amount they are asking? If not, I don't want to buy it, even if it's something I might want and can afford" - I'm amazed at how many people fail to understand this.

Instead, they seem to be thinking "can I afford that? Well, it's only a few dollars, so yes I'll get it". Well, when you do that, and keep buying a bunch of "inexpensive" things that you don't really need then that's why you can't afford to do big things. But some people don't seem to make that connection.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:38 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,463,641 times
for me, its not so much about living simply but getting everything i want but at the lowest possible price. so that doesnt mean i dont "waste" money on things i dont need. i just try to get them for less. of course, i wouldnt get anything i cant afford within my savings boundaries.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:43 PM

1,552 posts, read 3,157,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
I almost always tip at least 20% and I think there's a difference between being frugal and being stingy. I think some people are just stingy. I know people that only will give $2 tip at most no matter the cost of the meal in a restaurant. To me that's what they live on you should tip well if at all possible.
i tip well usually 25% or so but if someone is a terrible waiter im not going to reward them for being terrible
If I lived off of tips I would bust my ass to be good at my job and make as much as possible. If someone wants to mail it in and do nothing they won't get much if anything from me. If they can't live off of the bad tip the deserve they'll either get their act together or get replaced by someone who will actually do the job well.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,656,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
i tip well usually 25% or so but if someone is a terrible waiter im not going to reward them for being terrible
If a waiter or waitress is so horrible I cannot justify leaving them a tip (I can count on one hand the rare number of times this has ever happened to me) - I don't just stiff them, I make sure to have a chat with the manager about how bad their service was, and make it clear to the manager why a tip is not deserved.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:45 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,506,834 times
My college roommate and I were good scavengers. We would collect castoffs from other girls in the dorm. Lamps, jeans, etc. Not junk, but nice stuff they didn't want anymore.

Our motto was, "we're not proud, and proud of it!"

Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 PM

25,238 posts, read 18,397,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I think Frugality means different things to different people.
I think this is the key. We all sort of "adopt" our own definition for certain words or terms and then assume we own them. I'm as guilty as anyone else. There are nearly as many definitions as there are responses to my original post.

It has in fact prompted me to try to be a bit more careful in the future when I discuss or "define" frugal living. My definition has been too specific for a rather broadly interpreted word, which could cause confusion to those I speak with about such matters. I think my brand of frugality is narrower than most folks'. When I talk frugality, I'm actually combining elements of simple living, traditional/primitive living, minimalism, and frugality. Perhaps we could call it frugal minimalism.

This is the type of person who would aspire to living in a tiny (say 300 to 400 sq ft) home, have very few possessions (the necessities and perhaps a few "superfluous" items based on interests/passions), practice a based-on-need minimized sufficient income, and have a reasonable resource reserve in case of unforeseen circumstances. I don't know... hard to explain completely... but I guess it's heavy on the minimalism and simple living with me. I don't live frugally so I can blow my surplus on trips or cars or whatever, I live frugally so that I don't require that surplus. I can thus spend more of the little time I have on this planet doing the things I enjoy, which luckily for me are nearly all very inexpensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Taking things that are on offer has nothing to do with paying your fair share.

Here are some examples of what I think is meant by "not paying your fair share" and being "cheap rather than frugal":

-Eating at a pot-luck when you didn't take anything and could have.
-Not chipping in for a group gift then signing the card.
-Insisting your spouse not buy the sofa she really likes and you can afford just because it's $100 more than another one.
-Tipping poorly or not at all.
-Never donating to charity when you can afford to.
-Never treating the children to something special "just because."
-Always giving the least expensive gift rather than being concerned with getting something appropriate to the recipient.
-Giving a $50 wedding gift to a couple that spent $200+ on the food and drink your family consumed at the reception (when you could afford to "pay your fair share").
-Pocketing every last hair conditioner and shower cap you won't even use, just because they are in your hotel room.
-Disparaging people who have nice things just because you wouldn't buy them/don't need them.
-Denying yourself pleasures in life you can afford and would enjoy just to get that extra dollar in the bank.

Please note I NEVER expect people to live beyond their means. I admire people who are reasonably frugal because they are not wasteful and help the environment (there's that "fair share" concept again). I think everyone should save for a rainy day; children should be taught that. But many people take those virtues to an extreme.

Have a generous heart. Be thoughtful. Put yourself in another's shoes. THAT doesn't cost anything.
While I agree with most of what you have said here, I would add that some of us (me, for instance) very rarely face most of these points you've made.

That last one is interesting: it's so subjective--pleasures in life can be essentially a zero cost experience. I can jog a new trail, learn a new piece of music on my flamenco guitar, break out the watercolors and do some painting, or do some writing, and it costs me nothing but my time. I guess I'm easily amused because to tell you the truth, I'd rather do any one of those things than I would things like travel overseas, which to me is nothing but a nerve-wracking hassle, eat at an expensive restaurant, which is a dreadful experience for me, or spend nights in a posh hotel... NO, let me sleep in my own cheap little familiar pine bed from ikea.

As for what others have or spend money on, well, I may have a personal opinion, but each of us should have the right to live our lives the way we want, as long as everyone is allowed to do the same. On the other hand, that doesn't mean that I can't think your lifestyle is stupid or you can't think my lifestyle is stupid. Opinions, contrary to belief of the past 20 or 30 years, are okay. Note, I'm not saying it's okay to harass people, just that's it's okay to state an opinion.

Oh... and one way to get around the tipping thing at a restaurant: reacquaint yourself with your kitchen and don't eat out. And if you do feel like trusting your health to a restaurant staff, just order a take out. You don't have to sit, wait, and waste your time listening to the mindless chatter in the restaurant and you still get the food.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:04 AM

7,017 posts, read 14,406,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
If you're gonna be stingy, at least save it for the big ticket items. It's a lot easier to negotiate $100 lower on your next car, $1000 lower on your next house, or $25/mo lower on your next apartment. Now how many times of bad tipping do you need in order to recoup the same amounts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living