Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 PM

741 posts, read 1,750,319 times

Advertisements

I am thinking to buy a single family home say a (4+ Bed, 2+ Bath, 2000+ Sq Ft)

I am wondering how much would be the Monthly Average Total Cost of Home Ownership including

1. Mortgage Payments
2. Insurance
3. Property Tax
4. Maintenance Cost
5. Lawn/Garden maintenance cost
6. Others

Did I miss any other costs?
How much you are paying monthly for the above? How big is your home interms of Sq Ft, No of Bed/Bath etc.,

With all these costs do you think would it be better off Renting...

How many years you think one should live in the same home continuously to break even considering selling/buying costs as well

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 11:41 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post

I am wondering how much would be the Monthly Average Total Cost of Home Ownership including

1. Mortgage Payments
2. Insurance
3. Property Tax
4. Maintenance Cost
6. Others

How much you are paying monthly for the above? How big is your home interms of Sq Ft, No of Bed/Bath etc.,

How many years you think one should live in the same home continuously to break even considering selling/buying costs as well

Thanks!
1) $0
2) Our home insurance is bundled with our car and RV insurance. So I have no idea.
3) about $150
4) It varies from month to month.
5) I don't do anything to the lawn besides mow it. We probably spend maybe $100 per year on the garden.

Our house is about 1500 sq ft. We have 2 bedrooms, plus one non-conforming and 2 bathrooms.

I would rather own than rent. I can do things my way as long they are up to code. I would never live in a neighborhood with an HOA.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:01 AM

505 posts, read 1,664,039 times
You're probably better off asking this question in a specific area forum. For example, if you live in San Francisco, California, I would post in that forum and ask if there are any other people living in the area you are looking to purchase. Your questions, as they stand, is highly subjective because property taxes and home values vary from state to state and even counties and areas in a specific city. It's extremely broad so you're likely to get a drastic scope of numbers that won't really answer the question you are looking for. As it stands, mine are as follows:

1) $4200
2) $500 (bundled with our cars also and is about $6000 a year)
3) $175 (last property tax bill we got was $2300, but it's been dropping each year)
4) $25 (this is subjective, but we pay for an air conditioner maintenance contract annually)
5) $100 (for the back lawn maintenance, HOA fees take care of the front lawn maintenance)

Our house is about 5000 sq/ft and 6 beds, 5 baths plus a guest house. Yeah, it's overkill, but we splurged when the market was down.

Your question on owning versus renting is still very subjective because it's different for each person and it depends on the area. If you move around a lot and prefer new experiences, it might be better to rent, or have a job that requires you to move every now and then, etc. But as a general rule, it's usually better to own because you do build equity over time. If the value of the home goes up, then all the more better. It largely depends on how you view your home. Is it "just another place to live" or is it "home." My parents bought their home when they first immigrated for about $50,000 and they paid it off a looong time ago. They refuse to sell it no matter what the price is and never even thought of moving to a bigger or nicer place simply because they know every one in the neighborhood and the community there.

You can do the math easily to see if it makes better sense in renting or buying. There are a lot of online calculators. Take Yahoo for example:

Rent vs Buy Calculator, Should I Rent or Buy? - Yahoo! Homes

Enjoy.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:23 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,227 times
1. Mortgage Payments $0. We paid for our house in Cash just a couple of months ago.
2. Insurance $98 / month
3. Property Tax $150 / month (approx- paid annually in a lump sum of $1800 or so)
4. Maintenance Cost Nothing so far (apart from the initial repair costs which we'd worked into our budget when we bought), but of course we're keeping contingency money in case anything breaks. Thankfully the roof, siding and windows are new-ish.
5. Lawn/Garden maintenance cost $0 except for the cost of Gas for the Lawn Mower. DH will be taking care of the yard.
6. Others Utilities etc. Security System = $25/ month. Water, Gas, Electric vary.

Overall though, it's pretty cheap... but of course we don't have a mortgage or mortgage insurance.

Our house is 2100sq ft (including 600 sq ft finished in the basement) with 3 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms on half an acre. Modest, but good enough for us For DH & I there is no way in the world that we would be better off renting. However, to save up for our house, we rented something significantly below our means for the past 3 years in order to buy something with cash $$$

Old 10-07-2012, 04:54 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spalam01 View Post

1. Mortgage Payments
2. Insurance
3. Property Tax
4. Maintenance Cost
6. Others

Thanks!
why would you think anyone elses expenses have anything in common with you?

first of all how much they put down will be the biggest factor on monthly costs as well as real estate taxes and their own income tax brackets..

there is no way your accounting for renovations ,repairs and all the other soft costs that go with home ownership that arent monthly either..

many homeowners neglect things until the last minute when things fail. others stay on top of things and repair everything no matter how minor.

most homeowners have no real idea of all their total costs of ownership as well as it changes the longer you stay in the houe.

perhaps you havent replaced the furnace or roof yet but down the road you will have to .

i just dont see how this will be informative info to you at all.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:21 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
It does not matter what *I* am paying! It matters what your finances are and what your area is like.
Your " single family home say a (4+ Bed, 2+ Bath, 2000+ Sq Ft)" can be gotten cheaply here but cost a fortune elsewhere.

1. Mortgage Payments - depends on what you buy, your terms, and how much of a down payment you have.
2. Insurance - depends on what you buy, your terms and where you live
3. Property Tax - depends on where you live
4. Maintenance Cost - depends on the age of the house and its condition
5. Lawn/Garden maintenance cost - depends on what you have and what you are willing to do.
6. Others - too varied to mention

Old 10-07-2012, 07:23 AM

629 posts, read 1,174,968 times
It sounds deceptively simple, but the key is to really not buy more house than you can afford.

We bought a house in Las Vegas for $99k and our loan is only $63k with a $300/month mortgage payment.

I can't find the link right now, but there was an article a couple of years ago in the Economist where they said that the "sweet spot" for a mortgage is around $120,000 (for a $150,000 purchase price). In other words, if you need to borrow more than $120,000 for your home, then you'd be better off financially saving the $30,000 in down payment you would have needed, renting the same home instead, and putting the money you would have spent on property taxes and repairs also into investment accounts.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
I agree that so much of any answer is area dependent that the OP doesn't make much sense. There are also a number of different ways of looking at a home. As an investment, a small home in a good area has more potential - location, location, location. For retirement, a home with low taxes near a medical facility makes more sense. All the variations are part of the reason that Realtors stay in business.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:37 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
its really as vague a question as asking how much do you need to retire.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We have a 3 Bed, 2400Sq Ft home, on 150 acres with river frontage and mostly dense forest. We bought the land with cash, and I built the home myself.

Hmm, Mortgage Payments, Insurance, Property Tax, Maintenance Cost, Lawn maintenance cost, Other costs; for us summed and divided by 12 = $100/month.

We also have operational expenses with livestock and gardens, and we market some of the food we produce. Which so far about breaks even for us.

Quote:
... With all these costs do you think would it be better off Renting
No.

Quote:
... How many years you think one should live in the same home continuously to break even considering selling/buying costs as well
We have been here 7 years. We have put a lot of elbow grease equity into this property. I think if we sold today, we could possibly break even, given the 'cost-basis' of how much we have put into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living