Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:03 PM

524 posts, read 843,260 times

Advertisements

I wanted to share with you my frugality scheme for this winter. Back in apple season I went crazy making lots of quart jars of apple sauce. We made relish and jams and all that fall seems to call me to do. That was supposed to be insightful background.

So one day I was on pinterest and saw a pin about stock pot recipes. I wanted something to do with apples and pork (twas the season as I said). Instead I found a boat load of frugal, organized moms who wanted a freezer full of premade dinners. I fell in love with the idea! Basically I found 5 different recipes that I could prep, label and freeze downstairs in my upright freezer.

These crazy blogger frugal moms figured out how to make about 25 meals in 2 hours or something. I would guess that if you do this all the time the process would be nothing. For me it meant writing down 5 recipes and multipying all ingredients out by 5. I decied on chicken teriaki with pineapple, pork with applesauce and balsamic vinegar, ginger chicken and veg, chicken and figs and I forget what all. I am not walking down to the freezer to check-except I could put a load of wash in the dryer. Maybe later.

Anyhow, I schlepped to the store and bought a butt load of chicken, pork, green peppers, onions, potatoes, figs, carrots, celery and what not. I came home and followed each recipes times 5 bags-or in some cases 3 bags. I browned all the meat first, cooled it, mixed it w/other chopped ingredients, double bagged, labeled and froze those suckers.

They are down in the freezer for whenever I think about letting something cook all day. I run warm water over the bag, dump loosened frozen food in crock pot on low and when I come back from work 8 hours later it is done. No chemicals and healthy food. Much more than I would have attempted on a week night. I still probably have about 15 meals down there.

I want to hear your frugal cooking methods. Here is another topic I would like to discuss should anyone out there in frugality care to; Is it bizarre to have a jug full of congealed bacon grease next to your stove? Or uses for congealed bacon grease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 PM

I am a little sad that noone wants to talk about this

Old 01-02-2013, 05:01 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
I am a little sad that noone wants to talk about this

I would be interested in seeing what you found. Where did you get the recipes?

Try posting this in the Food and Drink forum. You will most likely get more responses

Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
I wanted to share with you my frugality scheme for this winter. Back in apple season I went crazy making lots of quart jars of apple sauce. We made relish and jams and all that fall seems to call me to do. That was supposed to be insightful background.

So one day I was on pinterest and saw a pin about stock pot recipes. I wanted something to do with apples and pork (twas the season as I said). Instead I found a boat load of frugal, organized moms who wanted a freezer full of premade dinners. I fell in love with the idea! Basically I found 5 different recipes that I could prep, label and freeze downstairs in my upright freezer.

These crazy blogger frugal moms figured out how to make about 25 meals in 2 hours or something. I would guess that if you do this all the time the process would be nothing. For me it meant writing down 5 recipes and multipying all ingredients out by 5. I decied on chicken teriaki with pineapple, pork with applesauce and balsamic vinegar, ginger chicken and veg, chicken and figs and I forget what all. I am not walking down to the freezer to check-except I could put a load of wash in the dryer. Maybe later.

Anyhow, I schlepped to the store and bought a butt load of chicken, pork, green peppers, onions, potatoes, figs, carrots, celery and what not. I came home and followed each recipes times 5 bags-or in some cases 3 bags. I browned all the meat first, cooled it, mixed it w/other chopped ingredients, double bagged, labeled and froze those suckers.

They are down in the freezer for whenever I think about letting something cook all day. I run warm water over the bag, dump loosened frozen food in crock pot on low and when I come back from work 8 hours later it is done. No chemicals and healthy food. Much more than I would have attempted on a week night. I still probably have about 15 meals down there.

I want to hear your frugal cooking methods. Here is another topic I would like to discuss should anyone out there in frugality care to; Is it bizarre to have a jug full of congealed bacon grease next to your stove? Or uses for congealed bacon grease.
This sounds like an amazing business idea for someone who likes to cook. I'm sure there would always be ladies who would love to have this option available to them, but do not have the time (or knowledge) to cook for themselves. An idea is born.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-02-2013, 05:28 PM

20 years; they kind of have this here already-it's called let's dish. You make entrees and freeze them so it is really the same thing sans crock pot.

Thanks for responding you two

Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,459,658 times
Crock pots are wonderful time savers and meal makers. They take tough (and inexpensive) cuts of meat and turn them into magic while you can do something else. Let alone beans and grains that are inexpensive and nutritious. I love Alton Brown's "Pepper Pot Pork Chops" that take inexpensive thick rib chops and turn them into guilty pleasures.

Bacon grease is good stuff in place of shortening. It is very tasty in place of anything like that. Just be sure to freeze it if you have a lot o fit. I have kept fat like that for over 2 years without any problem in quality.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
Freezing crock-pot food..........no thanks!

I eat three meals a day.....I can figure out how to eat a "fresh" meal from my beloved crock-pot.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
There was a Once a Month Cooking book about 20 years ago and they have a website. Of course, you don't have to do a month's worth at a time. A lot of people that I read about did a week at a time - shopped on Saturday, cooked on Sunday, and then had meals for the whole week.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:12 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Why is this called *frugal* ? I thought that frugal meant sparing with regards to money. Does doing this really save money ?
I would not do this for myself, to each his own, but I would call it *Another way of cooking food*.
Doing it the crockpot way seems like an easy way of having quickly prepared meals in a jiffy, if you are that type of person !

The food I prefer takes less than 10 minutes to prepare and less than 15 minutes to finish. I do not plan what to cook hours or days ahead. Each evening I go to the grocery store, walk thru the vegetable isle and meat counter, hunt for sales items, and then plan my meal for that evening from what is available then. Just my preference !
The *make meals ahead* and doing it the crockpot way, means going downstairs to your freezer, taking one or two pouches of food out, rinsing under hot water for a little while, putting it in the crockpot. Then when you come home, taking it out of the crockpot. How long does that really take ? Do not forget all that time you took preparing all those meal pouches before ! Also, how many days do you thus eat the same stuff ? By the fourth time it is *stuff*, and not some delish dish ...
But ... , as I said, to each his own. What does my freezer hold ? Ice cubes, Ice cream, and Cookies ...

Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I have discovered that the crock pot just does not do as well as my stove when it comes to preparing tasty meals. What it IS good for, however, is making inexpensive and healthy broth. I can get a whole small fryer, put it in the pot with some seasoning and some whole onions (cut up, paper on) and let it go the whole day. You can then cut off the meat to use in soups or tacos, chicken salad etc. and you are left with a lot of delicious broth for future use.

I also make "bone broth" from beef marrow bones, or any other bones I have a lot of. This is also frugal and very nourishing. I add some to regular soups and dishes and freeze the rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living