Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 09:49 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,937,281 times

Advertisements

Extreme Cheapskates Part 3-3 - YouTube

I'm thinking about trying this out. I'm a broke student and I need ways to save money to buy winter clothes that will stand up to the Boston winter. I also want to start saving, even though I really am living month to month as it is.

I was watching Extreme Cheapskates on TLC and discovered the "Fiscal Fast" method. You go one week without spending any money. The only money you can spend is if you find some loose change around the house. You are also not allowed to stock pile before the fast.

Has anyone tried this?

Any ideas or tips?

Have you tried this? Would you try this?

I have to pick up a a few necessities from CVS tomorrow and then I can start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 12:34 PM

5,727 posts, read 10,158,027 times
I predict it'll be just like those diets where people fast, and then binge...

How about rather than buying stuff and then eating/using it in shifts, you look for ways to spend less...

Cook from scratch, skip the chips, buy the cheaper brand etc...

Old 10-11-2012, 12:36 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,481,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

Extreme Cheapskates Part 3-3 - YouTube

I'm thinking about trying this out. I'm a broke student and I need ways to save money to buy winter clothes that will stand up to the Boston winter. I also want to start saving, even though I really am living month to month as it is.

I was watching Extreme Cheapskates on TLC and discovered the "Fiscal Fast" method. You go one week without spending any money. The only money you can spend is if you find some loose change around the house. You are also not allowed to stock pile before the fast.

Has anyone tried this?

Any ideas or tips?

Have you tried this? Would you try this?

I have to pick up a a few necessities from CVS tomorrow and then I can start.
We went an entire year of purchasing only what we needed, nothing more and we paid off 4 debts that year, it was great and bought our very first Certificate of Deposit for $500.00. We are now debt free and continue to purchase only what we need, it is a nice, simple easy way to live without excessive junk and clutter around your home.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 PM

33,052 posts, read 36,694,353 times
Pear Martini, do you have your extra bucks and extra care coupons ready?

Old 10-12-2012, 07:28 AM

505 posts, read 718,954 times
I believe I have lived my whole life that way. LOL

Old 04-05-2013, 03:59 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,937,281 times
I need to do this again.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:15 AM

32,780 posts, read 48,545,456 times
I can only see that making a difference if you routinely buy a lot of stuff you don't need just because you see it.

I suggest that you try this: when you see something you want to buy, ask if you really need it and if you can afford it. If you really need it, wait a week and if you still think you really need it, then shop to get the best price ad buy it. That will eliminate most of your impulse buys.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:03 PM

13,010 posts, read 18,994,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I can only see that making a difference if you routinely buy a lot of stuff you don't need just because you see it.

I suggest that you try this: when you see something you want to buy, ask if you really need it and if you can afford it. If you really need it, wait a week and if you still think you really need it, then shop to get the best price ad buy it. That will eliminate most of your impulse buys.
Has to apply to services as well, since we spend more on those than merchandise.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,172,390 times
I've done this, but not to an extreme. I just vowed to not go grocery shopping or out to eat and use up what I had. I did allow myself to purchase milk if need be (which I didn't need to), and of course gas for the car. But I didn't grocery shop and there was no stopping for coffee or "I don't feel like cooking so I'll eat out".

I forced myself to cook, and I actually enjoyed cleaning out the pantry.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:54 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,447,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I've done this, but not to an extreme. I just vowed to not go grocery shopping or out to eat and use up what I had. I did allow myself to purchase milk if need be (which I didn't need to), and of course gas for the car. But I didn't grocery shop and there was no stopping for coffee or "I don't feel like cooking so I'll eat out".

I forced myself to cook, and I actually enjoyed cleaning out the pantry.
I feel the same way. I shop once a week and plan for the pantry and fridge to be mostly empty by the next grocery run. I keep a list of items that are about to expire on the fridge door* and troll the internet looking for recipes to use up that last little bit of whatever. This morning I made chocolate mouse with the remainder of ricotta from last week's lasagna. Additionally, I schedule one "bits and pieces" dinner during the week to use up leftovers. Our grocery bills have dropped dramatically since I adopted a "use-it-up/don't throw it out" philosophy.

*I also keep my grocery receipts, so I know exactly how much money I'm throwing away when I do let food expire. It's been quite an eye-opener.

Last edited by randomparent; 04-08-2013 at 02:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living