Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 10:43 AM

2,135 posts, read 4,280,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Likely "you" paid less.

The only way someone has a pair of boots last 20 years is if they work in a office and occasionally play dress-up and put on some cowboy inspired clothes. So, that's $500 of junk you didn't need to buy since you don't use the boots. Dressup clothes aren't really a necessity. Second, you forgot to mention that it's not free. If you're walking 100 miles a day in your boots, about what's necessary to wear out of a cheap pair of sneakers in two months, you'll be dropping $100 at least once a year to have your dressup boots worked on, and probably much more than that. My dress shoes typically get resoled every 5 years or so. I don't wear them everyday and I don't walk 100 miles. I also have sneakers (although they cost $50) that are 3-4 years old and still perfectly fine since I don't wear those daily or walk 100 miles a day either. Not much to look at anymore.

Hitting the middle ground is usually where the best value is. I'm sure a $5000 Kiton suit is going to last a bit longer than the crap you can pickup at Mens' Warehouse for $200. It might even last 25 times as long, provided you don't get tired of the suit, the moths don't eat it, it doesn't get ripped or stained, or you don't get fat. But that likely depends on wear. I still have the $300 suit I bought when I was a junior in college. Expecting the Kiton to last 150 years seems... excessive. To mention nothing of present value.
The middle ground is usually where we fall into when buying. Usually works quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 02:51 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,377,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The only way someone has a pair of boots last 20 years is if they work in a office and occasionally play dress-up and put on some cowboy inspired clothes. So, that's $500 of junk you didn't need to buy since you don't use the boots. Dressup clothes aren't really a necessity. Second, you forgot to mention that it's not free. If you're walking 100 miles a day in your boots, about what's necessary to wear out of a cheap pair of sneakers in two months, you'll be dropping $100 at least once a year to have your dressup boots worked on, and probably much more than that. My dress shoes typically get resoled every 5 years or so. I don't wear them everyday and I don't walk 100 miles. I also have sneakers (although they cost $50) that are 3-4 years old and still perfectly fine since I don't wear those daily or walk 100 miles a day either. Not much to look at anymore..
I have to admit that I purchase a lot of shoes from thrift stores for under $5 as it is one of the few places where I can find shoes with Vibram soles. I have worn the same three pairs of shoes for the last three years. At the end of the winter, they will all go into the garbage as I have purchased their replacements.

The local shoe repair guy would love to get his hand on them - for $55 a pair for soles and heels. Not interested.

I buy good quality at low prices. I just bought a pair of Nike walking shoes for $30 and a pair of adidas for $3 - both brand new on clearance. And they will last four or five years. And that's fine with me.

=====================================

This thread reminds me a some of my acquaintances with $100k kitchens. They too, have to have the finest kitchens with all of the "high quality" goods. The problem is that when I am over at their place, all I ever see prepared is stuff from Costco. On the other hand, I scene a lot better done with less.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:55 PM

32,725 posts, read 48,343,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post

i have ikea furniture that was as cheap as ikea sells it that has lasted me 9 years at this point and its not going to break unless someone jumps on it or hits it with a blunt object.

On the other hand, I have an oak hutch that is over 350 years old. Bought used. I am not old enough to have bought it new. What's that Ikea going to look like in 350 years, even if nobody jumps on it?

I tried to buy an 800 year old table, but I got very badly outbid. (It went for 10's of thousands). I haven't seen any 800 year old Ikea lately.

800 years out of a table doesn't have much value unless you have family to hand it down to. But, even without heirs, that 350 year old oak hutch could be sold today for a lot more than I paid for it. Can't say that about your Ikea. I don't clasify Ikea as cheap junk. Not like the particle board furniture at Wally World.

Not that Ikea isn't fine if it suits your needs. It seems to be a good price for what you are getting and it usually looks good.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:56 PM

250 posts, read 384,313 times
I have a friend who buys cheap cooking supplies (dollar store) brands of everything knifes,spoons,forks,cutting knifes for meat and such and wonders why they break. I tell them again and again spend a good 30 to 40 bucks and get a good knife set,they say oh I can't see paying that much. I said you already are,then told them the reasoning, still no luck.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,833,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
On the other hand, I have an oak hutch that is over 350 years old. Bought used. I am not old enough to have bought it new. What's that Ikea going to look like in 350 years, even if nobody jumps on it?

I tried to buy an 800 year old table, but I got very badly outbid. (It went for 10's of thousands). I haven't seen any 800 year old Ikea lately.

800 years out of a table doesn't have much value unless you have family to hand it down to. But, even without heirs, that 350 year old oak hutch could be sold today for a lot more than I paid for it. Can't say that about your Ikea. I don't clasify Ikea as cheap junk. Not like the particle board furniture at Wally World.

Not that Ikea isn't fine if it suits your needs. It seems to be a good price for what you are getting and it usually looks good.
haha, what do i need with a table that lasts 350 years? i dont even want a table that will last 20 years. my mom got a top quality table from her parents and had it in storage. then she gave it to me when i had an apartment short term and didnt care. when i bought a house and moved, it got stuck in the basement until i gave it away.

there is no need to buy furniture that will outlast its own usefulness.

i also buy cheap shoes. they may not last as long as expensive shoes but they cost a fraction of the price and i dont want to have the same shoes for more than 3 years.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:01 PM

22,688 posts, read 24,703,153 times
I don't want or need to keep an overpriced pair of shoes for 20 years.

I buy high-top leather boots at Walmart and guess what..........they are very comfortable and sturdy. And these horrifying, cheap, low-brow shoes cost about 25 bucks.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 PM

3,724 posts, read 4,882,090 times
I got into the habit sometimes of cheaping out and buying the low cost item, only having to buy another soon after. I knew better but it's hard to pull the trigger at times. Yes, I've bought the cheap shoes at walmart because they'll only get destroyed while working. But they end up not lasting and I have to get another pair a month later. I'm on my feet for 15+ hrs a day on a moving and pounding platform when working in the summer so I feel a lot more comfortable when I pay to get real shoes and I actually spend less for the whole season.

Did some work last year and bought the home depot brand sander, only to take it back twice and finely get a better quality one to finish the job. However, I remodeled my kitchen and bathroom using an old craftsman saw and black & decker drill that were my dad's from the 60's or early 70's and I literally destroyed them when growing up. They may look rough now but they still work good as new. I can't remember how many "home depot" special drills I've gone through in the last decade.

I also made the mistake of buying cheap cooking utensils and pans from walmart right after I bought my house. 2 years later I have to get all new ones because the pans are all warped and the utensils have mostly fallen apart. The knives never cut from day one. Get quality the first time around. Maybe I've finally learned my lesson.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:05 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,174,499 times
just because a pair of shoes is 500 dollars does not mean it's well made
lots of 500 dollar shoes are garbage and you're paying for a name and lots are in fact well made and will last
however there is a huge gap between 20 dollars and 500 dollars and while you wont find a long lasting pair or shoes for 20 bucks with rare exception, you can find one for a lot less than 500.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:12 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,947,206 times
More expensive is not always going to last you longer.

An example: My daughter has jeans from True Religion, American Eagle, and Old Navy. $200, $50, and $25 (unless they're on sale). All of those jeans are going to last exactly as long as she is a size 6 short. When she grows, we'll hand them down to a friend or give them away to someone on craigslist. Is the $200 pair any better than the $25 pair? In terms of quality, no. I sew, I can look at how something is constructed and see if it's made better than something else. The only thing that the $200 pair is better for is for showing off to other teenagers. (and I paid $5 for it at the thrift store)

The most comfortable shoes I have ever owned cost me $10/pair. I buy two pairs every year, one to wear and one for a spare. They go in the dishwasher when they get dirty. I have a pair of sneakers and a pair of dress flats besides, for places where I can't wear sandals, but those places are few and far between.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:47 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,442,188 times
I buy expensive things. I like expensive things. But, I always wait until things are on the reduced rack. I never pay full price for anything. I buy winter coats in May, swimsuits in October. Last year, I bought a fancy new gas grill, in October, 75% off. I would rather pay $75 for a gas grill that had been originally $250. Than buy a gas grill for $75. I wait.

I may not always get "exactly" what I want, when I want it...but that is okay. I can wait.

Recently I bought some very expensive jeans, normally $200. I got two pairs for $30 each, why were they on sale? They have a very fancy subtle leopard print in the fabric. I have a black pair and a biege pair. And I am perfectly happy.

Some "cheap junk" is okay. I see no point in paying a lot of money for a toothbrush, when the ones at the Dollar store are perfectly good.

Shoes, how much will I wear them? A few times? Pay less. All the time? More, but still check for 75% off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living