Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times

Advertisements

Why wear shoes at all? Move to somewhere with a nice climate and skip the whole buying shoes thing entirely! Ha! I don't have any shoes and it's good. We do drop into thrift shops, though, when we go to the mainland on vacation and buy something suitable for the area we are visiting. Most everything gets dropped back off at the thrift shop when we leave and that saves on baggage fees. Last vacation was to Alaska, we outfitted ourselves for a ten day cruise for $45 at the thrift shop in Anchorage. The airlines were charging an additional fee per checked bag so had we brought clothes for the trip with us, it would have cost more. Now, the London Fog trench coat and the alpaca scarf were kept since they were nice and we could use them at home, the rest of the stuff went back to the thrift shop.

Thirty some odd years ago, I actually paid retail - $70 - for a stainless steel thermal French press to make coffee. No filters, just put in the coffee, add hot water, put on the lid and press the knob down. It is insulated so it stays hot, it is stainless steel so it doesn't break. We are still using that press to make coffee and it makes great coffee. How much has been saved in thirty years of not buying coffee filters? Not replacing a coffee machine every five to ten years? Well more than $70.

The kitchen pans are either cast iron which just improves with age or copper bottom Revereware. Been the same set for decades, still works great and if I wanted to bother to polish them (which is much different from cleaning them) then they would shine up like new again. You can still get these pans at garage sales for less than $5 each, although I think they quit making them years ago. The cast iron is usually bought second hand since new cast iron is rough inside and the older stuff is better. The kitchen knives are all carbon steel or really high end stainless steel, but they came from yard sales and we don't have much more than $5 per knife in any of them. The Henckle boning knife was fifty cents at a yard sale. I asked the seller if they had any more like it and they said there had been "a whole bunch of them all different shapes and sizes and all fifty cents" but someone bought them early in the morning. Apparently, their mom had been a high end chef and they were just selling her "kitchen junk" after she had passed and didn't have a clue about quality knives.

We get loads of high end aloha shirts such as Tori Richards, Zig Zane, Cook Street, Reyn Spooner, etc., for just a couple dollars at yard sales. These last years and are comfortable. So, I guess we not only buy loads of quality stuff, but we don't pay retail for it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 04:06 PM

877 posts, read 2,014,012 times
I agree. i always like to invest more in quality, especially for things I know I'll be using/wearing for the long run.

I think it would be smart for people to have some idea of how long they'll wear some of the these shoes for. I buy some items for occasional purposes, which i don't spend a lot of money on.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 PM

13,006 posts, read 18,927,009 times
True, but a lot of stuff costs less and is not junk. Stay away from high priced brands you pay more for fancy name. Buying used sometimes good, especially if previous owner rarely used it.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:12 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,137,801 times
I find that buying used, high quality items often provides the greatest value. Low production quality cheap items are a mixed bag - it all depends on the intended use for it - while buying new high quality items is obviously expensive.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:15 AM

50,898 posts, read 36,586,381 times
The problem I find, is that even if I want to buy good quality, it seems there are more and more items where no matter what you pay, they are all made like crap. An example is, about 10 years ago I got rid of an old window air conditioner which was probably 25 years old and still worked fine, because I wanted one in my bedroom with a remote. Since that time, I have had to buy 3 different air conditioners because none of the new ones they make last anymore, everything is made to be throw-away now.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:14 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,871,770 times
Without reading all of the responses, the OP's comment is SO true. DH & I only buy quality furniture (no flat pack!), quality clothing, quality appliances, quality tools and quality shoes. However, we still consider ourselves 'frugal' because we don't go overboard. We only buy what we really need. No impulse shopping going on here!

Also to note, all of our furniture we bought second hand- it's all exceptional quality and we probably paid the same or less than flatpack for it. It's lasted 50+ years and will easily last another 50+ years!

Old 03-20-2013, 02:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,747,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlefty23 View Post
just because a pair of shoes is 500 dollars does not mean it's well made
lots of 500 dollar shoes are garbage and you're paying for a name and lots are in fact well made and will last
however there is a huge gap between 20 dollars and 500 dollars and while you wont find a long lasting pair or shoes for 20 bucks with rare exception, you can find one for a lot less than 500.
I would guess $500 means they're just some designer kind of shoe or made with exotic leather. For me it makes a difference if I'm going to be on my feet all day or if my job is sit down -- if you're on your feet all day, you need a quality sole and good support but if you sit at a desk, you can get by with a cheaply made shoe. Also shoes for running and hiking should be better made. Work boots that are sewn together will hold up a lot longer than the ones made with glue and leather can be a lot more comfortable than plastic if you're working 8-9 hours.

If you're paying for a quality sole with good arch support and design, there is a certain amount you pay but once you've got that, the rest is just added expense. A lot of money for high heel shoes for women is pure waste because high heels are bad for the feet no matter what, with shoes that are meant to harm the feet, there is no good reason to spend a lot of money.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:01 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,147,558 times
Everything is relative. Quality vs cost is a factor in most decisions, even if not the main factors.

One poster who likes nice sheets, buys cheap washcloths...another says he/she buys expensive things on sale, but buys cheap toothbrushes.

What one person spends money on, another won't. (I happen to like what would be considered "expensive" toothbrushes like top of the line Oral Bs -- AND good, weighty washcloths -- but clearly others don't. But I wouldn't pay one quarter of what people spend on clothes, shoes, and decor items. Others wouldn't spend what I do on food.

I find it interesting and marvel at the dollar amounts people will pay for certain things, not only because of the cost -- but because they'll pay money AND THINK what they're paying is a steal. And I'm like -- I wouldn't pay that amount for that item and can find it for less any day of the week.

I stumbled across three home decor sites that supposedly sell 'designer' items at well below retail. (One Kings Lane, Joss and Main and Decor Steals). To me, those prices are still too expensive. Yet, the people who praise them act like they've found some great prices. TO THEM, I guess they did.

There's another thread called something like "Even if I won the lottery I wouldn't buy...." That's an interesting thread also.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:01 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,494,416 times
It depends what you're buying..

If it's something that needs to be dependable, buy long-lasting quality.

If it's something that'll go obsolete fast (i.e. smartphone), buy the cheap Made in China one.

Old 03-25-2013, 09:34 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,402,740 times
I hate to say this but it's women who gut duped into buying cheap foreign made goods, especially clothes.
When it comes to fashion a man can buy a top quality suit for $1,000 and it will last for 30 years without going out of style.
Women's fashion changes every year so that great dress you bought last year for $200 is already out of style plus if you see somebody else wearing it it goes back in the closet.
The solution is to buy cheap clothes every year and they do.
Same go's for women's shoes they need a matching pair for every outfit and when last years outfit is out of style so are the shoes.

Unfortunately we have little choice when it comes to buying electronics, the industry has most people programmed into buying new gadgets every year or so and we are stuck with foreign made products.

Where we do have a choice is in quality American made furniture and some household goods.

Automobiles is a tough choice since many of us (me included) are hung up on certain brands. Some will only buy American and some will only buy foreign autos.
Unfortunately with mechanical machinery there is no guarantee that the most expensive will be the best.

One thing is for sure is if you buy the cheapest everything you can buy, you will be buying it again and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living