Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:30 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
Please, please someone out there tell me how in the world I can save money. No credit cards. Bad credit. If I want something bad enough i want to be able to sve the money and buy it outright. My husband gets a disability check for heart disease and I am only able to work a couple of days at Walmart because of all the walking, lifting and standing for an 8 hour shift. How do you save money on eating, buying paper products, gas. Please teach me.
Can you get a job somewhere else full time that involves less physical activity? Receptionist, data entry, phone bank, toll booth operator, parking attendant (sitting in the booth)? If you could double your working hours, it would even be worth taking a slight paycut.

Alternately, could you do something else in addition to the Walmart job? Baby sitting, deliver pizzas, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 PM

17 posts, read 52,373 times
I don't get manicures, pedicures I do those by myself, pluck my own eyebrows, don't drink coffee, don't dye my hair, I get my hair trimmed every 3-4 months, barely go out to eat, for paper products you can look in the weekly circulars for the best deals.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:48 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Use a budget spreadsheet and see where your money goes.
I am sure there are things you need to buy, and those you buy but not really need. Some could be substituted. Then make adjustments and necessary cuts.

This.

Once you start paying close attention to where your money is currently going, it is easier to identify places to cut / save. And once you have done that, you can create a household budget using a spreadsheet to help you plan both your expenditures and your savings.

And for those specific things you want to save money for (planned or unplanned), figure out the cost in advance and work that into your budget. For example, we take a few vacations every year - so at the beginning of the year, we figure out what those vacations will cost us, and put away an appropriate amount out of each of our paychecks that is earmarked for our "vacation fund," such that we have put away that amount in increments over the course of the year. That way, when we do go on vacation, we don't come back with any bills that we have to figure out how to pay after the fact.

In addition to regular savings, we also budget money towards things like a "house fund" (money in savings that is earmarked for anything we may need for the house at a later date, such as if an appliance needs to be replaced or an unforseen repair needs to be made). And we don't dip into the "house fund" for anything else. That way, if, say, the microwave explodes, we already have the money to replace it, rather than have to do without or buy one on credit.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:09 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,172,886 times
Quote:
What I can live without is the TV and its expensive cable package, so we sold the TV and have lived without it for many years now.
Thats what I did. For 3 years now. Dont miss it a bit.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:31 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Can you get a job somewhere else full time that involves less physical activity? Receptionist, data entry, phone bank, toll booth operator, parking attendant (sitting in the booth)? If you could double your working hours, it would even be worth taking a slight paycut.

Alternately, could you do something else in addition to the Walmart job? Baby sitting, deliver pizzas, etc?
Yes two days a week isn't going to bring in much income. If it were me, I'd look at building up my endurance and strength by getting into a good physical exercise routine. Walking 2 miles a day, lifting weights, and if I'm going to be on my feet all day a good quality shoe with good foot support. I've had jobs which involved standing and walking 8 hours and found that a pair of cheap shoes can be what causes bachaches, hip pain, hurting feet, and changing to a better shoe with a well-designed sole cured everything.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:34 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,331,832 times
Go to one of those vocational school and get a better paying job than what Walmart is paying most of their people. My sister and sister in law both went that direction and became a dentist asst. It doesn't take that long. Now, my sisters aren't rich but they sure makes more than what Walmart pays for most of their entry level employees. You won't make anything in retail unless you are in management. So either move up in Walmart or move out.

Know how to spend. My wife and I have learn to live on around $30,000ish a year and have been doing that consistently for well over 15 years now. And out of that $30K-ish, half of it is use to pay for mortgage/rent. So the other half is used to pay for bills, insurances, food, gas, and everything else to have a live.

Two of the most expensive things in our lives are Rent/Mortgage and Food. Move to a more affordable place and eat less process food. My wife and I completely has cut out process food like chips, soda, hotdogs, bottle water, etc. Anything that is already fix, cook, or made already, we stop eating it. It cost more money and it is not as healthy in certain cases. Look at food and look at the cost per weight. Why buy process meat like hotdogs or already made sausages when they cost a lot more. In my area, for example, 1 lbs of sausages costs around $4-$6/lb vs raw chicken .70 cents-1.30/lb. You get more bang out of your money buying the chicken. We almost never eat out, we cook, cook, and cook. Bring food to work. We filter our own water.

In California, the summer, we avoid using A/C as much as possible by using fans. We installed ceiling fans in every room. We install thick curtains and window tint to block out the sun. At night when it cools, we use those box fans and suck in the cool air into the house. In the winter, we set the thermostat as low as possible and wear thick clothes.

We don't buy things unless it's on sale. We buy our veggies from flea market venders, ethnic stores, local farmers. We shop at discount chain stores like Big Lots, Grocery Outlet, 99 cents store, etc. We buy things use from Craigslist, yard sale, thrift stores. My wife buys clothes at yard sale for $1-2. We bought an almost new leather sofa for $150. We bought a fridge that was once sold for over $1,000 for $200. A dining table set that was easily over $1,000 and got it for $200. We own a 15 yr old Toyota Camry. We often go to yard sale and buy items for cheap and turn around and resell it for profit.

Last edited by calnbs; 03-22-2013 at 10:44 AM..

Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
Please, please someone out there tell me how in the world I can save money. No credit cards. Bad credit. If I want something bad enough i want to be able to sve the money and buy it outright. My husband gets a disability check for heart disease and I am only able to work a couple of days at Walmart because of all the walking, lifting and standing for an 8 hour shift. How do you save money on eating, buying paper products, gas. Please teach me.
Paper products? Other than toilet paper, stop using them. Paper towels can easily be replaced with old rags. Paper napkins with cloth. Paper plates with real dishware.

Gasoline? The website Gasbuddy will help you find the cheapest fill-up, but I doubt it would make a significant dent in your budget. Otherwise, always combine your trips, moving clockwise and avoiding traffic to minimize idling. Keep your tires inflated properly, and don't drive around with extra stuff in your trunk. The extra weight kills your gas mileage.

Eating? Make sure you're not throwing money away. Keep a list on your fridge door of everything inside to prevent food from rotting before it can be eaten. Also, you might try portioning out your food to prevent snack attacks from wiping out your stock. I do this with cookies, because if they are just left in a bag, my kids will eat them up immediately. Right after I bake them, I put each child's weekly allotment into a labeled container to help prevent gorging. When they're gone, they're gone. No more until next week.

Last edited by randomparent; 03-26-2013 at 07:15 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 06:46 AM

486 posts, read 862,932 times
There was a time when we had to budget everything. Basic utilities, rent/mortgage & insurance was budgeted every
month. Food was (and still is costly) so I had to spread that money as far as I could. An example of what I did,
I would buy a whole chicken (always checking when it was on sale & if it was I'd buy 2-3 then freeze it). From that
one chicken, I would cut it up. The bones and back would make soup. Then I would use receipes (all from scratch)
to make several meals from the rest of the chicken. Grant it , we ate a lot of chicken & it was a challenge not to
get sick of it. In addition to that, there are many meals that you can make using dried beans and rice. It's more
work but it is a huge cost savings and it was healthier for our family.
Other posts have made some great suggestions...ex. if you don't need the extra car, get rid of it, watching
and unplugging appliances, turning down your water heater temperature, using fluorescent bulbs ( buying them is
expensive at first but when I put them every where I could, my electric bill went down $12.00).
Good luck to you and hope things get better.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:59 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Some folks, I guess just happen to be in a position they never thought they would be in. How many of us have ever considered that we would not be able to earn a living wage?
I have always thought that was a possibility, and I have a college degree. I think the problem we have in America is we never think anything bad can happen to us, so people don't prepare for lean times.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,899,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I have always thought that was a possibility, and I have a college degree. I think the problem we have in America is we never think anything bad can happen to us, so people don't prepare for lean times.
Since we hadn't had an economic depression in a lifetime few thought it would ever happen but it did. Skilled college graduates unable to find a job for years? Housing prices declining? Interest rates on savings dropping below a percent? No, never gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living