Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:34 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Improve your health and start working more.
This is what I was thinking.

Many cases of heart disease are caused by poor diet. Usually doctors will only talk superficially about diet as part of your treatment. Reducing meat and poultry consumption and replacing those items with more beans and legumes can help a lot. Go to the library and read up on how diet can help with heart disease and get some cookbooks. Simple stuff like drinking purple grape juice can help a lot.

I don't know your husband's situation, but some people can reduce or eliminate medications if they change their diet. As was already mentioned a more vegetarian diet can also save money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
That was 30 years ago and to even remember the awfulness of it you would have to be 40 years old today.

I hate to tell the anti-boomer crowd it was worse in 1981 than it has been the last five years.
It was and it wasn't. Yes, unemployment was higher than now. But Boomers were able to pay for their college tuition with part time and summer jobs. That's becoming increasingly impossible today, even for those attending in-state public universities. Also, at that time, our government debt was much lower and the liabilities for Social Security and Medicare were not looming as large as they are now.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:11 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
It was and it wasn't. Yes, unemployment was higher than now. But Boomers were able to pay for their college tuition with part time and summer jobs. That's becoming increasingly impossible today, even for those attending in-state public universities. Also, at that time, our government debt was much lower and the liabilities for Social Security and Medicare were not looming as large as they are now.
No, Boomers could not cover tuition with summer and part time work. Perhaps if they lived with mom and dad, got some scholarship funds, maybe a grant and a small loan they could escape without a lifetime debt. Do you think that it was easy to find a summer job in that economy? You either needed a good reference, know someone or pay for the privilege of being hired.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:19 PM

273 posts, read 1,061,170 times
use a local library for entertainment (borrow books, use internet there, borrow movies, etc.). go outside to parks or just spend time in nature. it's good for mental health and always free. just walk outside. if you want to pay to have the internet at home, especially broadband, then you can get all your entertainment there, mostly on sites like youtube where there are videos AND full length movies on any and everything. all free. hulu also works and there are more that i am not listing.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:34 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Back then, we would NOT complain about how bad things were in the late 70s. My father would bring out the WWII photos and the grandparents would start talking about the Great Depression.
My grandparents were suvivors of the Great Depression, I grew up on such stories. The world can change overnight, just plan ahead and be prepared!

Old 04-15-2013, 04:56 PM

524 posts, read 843,554 times
where did the OP go?

Old 04-15-2013, 05:18 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
where did the OP go?
Maybe someone gave her a magic formula? No magic to saving though. The way to save money when in dire need is to learn deprivation. As posted before, no cable tv and other niceties of life. Deprive oneself of things not needed, but, wanted.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:40 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,174,492 times
Quote:
....use a local library for entertainment (borrow books, use internet there, borrow movies, etc.). go outside to parks or just spend time in nature. it's good for mental health and always free. just walk outside.
This is pretty much what I do. The library has saved quite a bit on CD and internet and book costs. There is a time limit on net use, but where I live it only kicks in if others are waiting, so an hour of use can be extended in 10 minute increments.

Yet, why stay inside..???...esp. when parks and forest preserves are still free (at least in my part of the US). I do a lot of walking, hiking, and cycling, and this is cheap fun. "city walks", too...which could also be exploring small towns afoot.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:10 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantress View Post
where did the OP go?
She read all the suggestions, put together a budget, and determined the only thing they could cut was the internet.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
No, Boomers could not cover tuition with summer and part time work. Perhaps if they lived with mom and dad, got some scholarship funds, maybe a grant and a small loan they could escape without a lifetime debt. Do you think that it was easy to find a summer job in that economy? You either needed a good reference, know someone or pay for the privilege of being hired.
It's not any easier to find a summer job now....and the inflation adjusted tuition is much, much higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living