Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,500 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys.

I am new in it. I just bougth a piece of land in south florida and want to buy house.
But to be truth I have no idea from what to start.
Step buy step - getting plan, getting licence for building, starting building,...

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 04:33 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
Research. Do you have available sewer, water, utilities and what is the cost of connection? Is the land in a flood zone and what is the cost of insurance?

What are the legal restrictions/size of building etc. of your lot? Find out first before making plans. What is the buildable size, zoning restrictions, impact costs if any, etc.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:41 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra3qfb View Post
Hi Guys.

I am new in it. I just bougth a piece of land in south florida and want to buy house.
But to be truth I have no idea from what to start.
Step buy step - getting plan, getting licence for building, starting building,...

Thank you.

Honestly...Hire a builder!

I've been in construction for 30+ years and have seen many people TRY to GC their own home with no knowledge of construction. It almost always end in a home that cost the same or more than if you hire a professional. You have no idea on which sub contractors are good,remember the cheapest price is usually not the best one. How are you going to schedule them so they're not stepping all over each other and what if there's a framing problem but you've already paid the framer and now he won't return your calls?

You need to stay 3 steps ahead at all times so while the house is getting framed you'll already need the plumber,electrician and HVAC guys lined up. But,since you're a one time builder they won't be ready for you when you need them. They'll be taking care of their regular builders who feed them work every year and fit you in when they can. Sure you think you can just get someone else but not so easy when the electrician or plumber already has the permit pulled in their names. Trust me you'll be at their mercy and it will delay the build,time is money when your paying interest only on the construction loan.

If you have that much free time you're better off working your regular job overtime at something your experienced doing.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 PM

3,647 posts, read 3,781,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Honestly...Hire a builder!

I've been in construction for 30+ years and have seen many people TRY to GC their own home with no knowledge of construction. It almost always end in a home that cost the same or more than if you hire a professional. You have no idea on which sub contractors are good,remember the cheapest price is usually not the best one. How are you going to schedule them so they're not stepping all over each other and what if there's a framing problem but you've already paid the framer and now he won't return your calls?

You need to stay 3 steps ahead at all times so while the house is getting framed you'll already need the plumber,electrician and HVAC guys lined up. But,since you're a one time builder they won't be ready for you when you need them. They'll be taking care of their regular builders who feed them work every year and fit you in when they can. Sure you think you can just get someone else but not so easy when the electrician or plumber already has the permit pulled in their names. Trust me you'll be at their mercy and it will delay the build,time is money when your paying interest only on the construction loan.

If you have that much free time you're better off working your regular job overtime at something your experienced doing.
Great points. I've heard this before from contractors AND home owners that tried to do it themselves. Seems like very good advice.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:00 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
There is a book put out by Ortho Press called "Basic Home Building", it's not expensive. Get a copy of that book and it will answer a whole lot of your questions.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
You might want to look at "Build on your lot" builders as well.
They have plans which sometimes can be customized.

That's what I did. They also helped me with other stuff they weren't responsible for to keep the ball rolling.
I had to get some permits, get the temp electric, run water line, septic installation, driveway and a few other things going and they helped with timing of when it needed to start.

I picked one of their plans and customized it.

I was very happy with the whole process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living