Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 12:21 AM

283 posts, read 730,177 times

Advertisements

I just ordered a custom ice cream cake from a national ice cream chain's web site. On the page where they showed the price, tax, and total, they also had a box for entering a tip. I left it at zero, since I don't think ordering an ice cream cake (even a custom one, which they let you customize on the web site) should require anyone to go above and beyond the call of duty at an ice cream shop. Seems kinda tacky to me. Hopefully they don't bake any unwanted ingredients into the cake (like how people are always saying pizza delivery guys will do if they aren't tipped well). Anyway, what do others think of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 04:20 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,718,158 times
I doubt that anyone working for a national chain would risk violating USDA standards regarding the ingredients list required to be provided. However, even though you see a national brand doesn't mean the company you're doing business with necessarily is that national chain, itself, but rather could just be a franchisee. Still, I think the risk of that is low. Rather, I could imagine the tip, since it is known ahead of time, to perhaps affect the level of care and conscientiousness paid to your order. The shame of today's society is how people have been indoctrinated to care only about themselves and care little about other people.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:57 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,903,404 times
LOL it would never occur to me to tip a live person in an ice cream shop, let alone tip a website.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:27 AM

350 posts, read 710,405 times
Try entering a negative number and see if it reduces your overall bill!

Old 09-19-2013, 10:58 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,709,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slcity View Post
what do others think of this?
I don't think anything of it. If someone would like to leave a tip - fine. If someone does not want to leave a tip - fine. I don't see any big deal to having that option.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,546,743 times
I think it's absurd. Unless you're supposed to be tipping the web designer for such a great shopping cart?

I tip people who bring me things and clean up after me or carry things for me, or even entertain me. And I tip them well, even though I am poor.

I don't tip people who work behind a counter I have to stand at, then go back to to get my stuff. Sorry to the guys behind the counter, but there has to be a line somewhere.

I wouldn't tip the website, and further, I'd write them an email telling them that it's offensive. And I'd probably shop somewhere else.

By the way, for all of you who enjoyed this post, here is my PayPal donate button....

Old 09-19-2013, 04:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times
it would annoy me and I would try to find a different place to buy the product.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:02 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,022,051 times
I still can't get past the ordering of a IceCream Cake on a web site...

How do you get it FedEx next day packed in dry ice?

Old 09-19-2013, 05:39 PM

22,616 posts, read 47,741,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I still can't get past the ordering of a IceCream Cake on a web site...

How do you get it FedEx next day packed in dry ice?
Just a guess, but...

I would think that the OP is ordering a custom cake, which will be ready for him/her to pick up at, say, the local Cold Stone/Dairy Queen/whatever.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:26 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,546,743 times
It even irritates me that every time I buy something lately from groceries at Safeway to an ink cartridge on Ebay, I'm asked to contribute to some charity. So annoying, especially at Safeway, with the checker looking me in the eye in person while I say, not today, thank you, in front of both her and the person in line behind me. I shouldn't be subjected to that. I give to who I want to give to. Don't pressure me, especially in public. Grrrr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living