Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 09:20 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,398 times

Advertisements

Yesterday for no particularly well-thought-out reason I decided to surf through my car insurance company's homeowner's insurance pages. They had an online quote thingee (good for Virginia) so I went into it and plugged all the appropriate things into the dialog (*), getting back a quote for yearly coverage that pretty much matched the coverage I currently had.

That quote was about $500.

My then-current insurance cost was about $1800.

I just stared at it and said to self "Self, this can't be right!", went over the entire dialog again and found that, yes, it was right and I had been paying some outrageous amount on a yearly basis for who-knows-how-many years.

So I immediately bought the $500 coverage and immediately dropped the $1800 coverage (the rep at the too-expensive company didn't even try hard to get me to reconsider after I mentioned the almost 3/4 savings of the new company's plan).

The bottomline?

Check your insurance coverage just like those ads about car insurance say - you might actually save some bucks or, as in my case, relatively huge bucks.

Now to surf some more to find out WHY the difference in pricing is so large...

===========

(*) One of the dialog items was "Have you made a claim in the last 5 years" and the answer I gave was "No" since I knew that no insurance company had given me any money over that time.

When the dialog finished I was warned that a "claim" I made in 2011 would affect the pricing of the coverage.

All I said to THAT was "Huh?"

It turns out I =had= contacted my insurance company about a windstorm that blew off some shingles but the rep had said it would not be worth pursuing since only a few shingles had blown away and my deductible would be much greater than the replacement cost. So I didn't pursue it (and did the shingle replacement myself).

But the insurance company none-the-less HAD made a "claim report" to some centralized entity similar to Experian that compiles insurance claim records much like Experiian compiles credit records (A-Plus something or other).

So, a couple years later, I have on my "insurance record report" a "claim" for $0.

Sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 02:15 PM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
the report that carrys all your insurance info and claims is called CLUE..

like a credit report you can get a free copy every year.

you can get it here after filling out the required form on line.

get both the auto and home insurance reports.

you will be amazed at some of the stuff put on your record.

calls for roadside assistance when you use an insurance company sponsered plan can appear.

properties that have issues like flood claims get flagged and the new owner gets whacked if they buy that house with high rates even though they had no claim themselves..

https://personalreports.lexisnexis.c...le/landing.jsp

Old 05-01-2013, 02:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Oe thig to make sure you do is to check the polices as they can differ jusy t like auot insurance. Most are regualted by state boards .For example I saw , mnay who never looed to see if their insurqance was repalcement or based on deprecaition on cliams which makes a huge difference in claims when a hurricane hit here.The at what exactly ws covered other than home totoal worth or contents .ther can be buildig outside to landscapig to tree loss without it hittign a insured property and what is covered if it does.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:33 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
If you think your homeowner's was expensive, try living in south Florida - Mine is $6600 this year.

Just make sure your $500 covers full replacement of your dwelling.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 AM

90 posts, read 385,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Oe thig to make sure you do is to check the polices as they can differ jusy t like auot insurance. Most are regualted by state boards .For example I saw , mnay who never looed to see if their insurqance was repalcement or based on deprecaition on cliams which makes a huge difference in claims when a hurricane hit here.The at what exactly ws covered other than home totoal worth or contents .ther can be buildig outside to landscapig to tree loss without it hittign a insured property and what is covered if it does.

Holy Cow!

If you are going to take the time to type a response, PLEASE read it before hitting the submit button.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,851 times
The online insurance quote is the best thing to have happened in recent times.. never really tried them..but heard friends praising them big time..

Old 05-03-2013, 03:02 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
Yesterday for no particularly well-thought-out reason I decided to surf through my car insurance company's homeowner's insurance pages. They had an online quote thingee (good for Virginia) so I went into it and plugged all the appropriate things into the dialog (*), getting back a quote for yearly coverage that pretty much matched the coverage I currently had.

I just stared at it and said to self "Self, this can't be right!", went over the entire dialog again and found that, yes, it was right and I had been paying some outrageous amount on a yearly basis for who-knows-how-many years.

So I immediately bought the $500 coverage and immediately dropped the $1800 coverage (the rep at the too-expensive company didn't even try hard to get me to reconsider after I mentioned the almost 3/4 savings of the new company's plan).

The bottomline?

Check your insurance coverage just like those ads about car insurance say - you might actually save some bucks or, as in my case, relatively huge bucks.

Now to surf some more to find out WHY the difference in pricing is so large...
One of the differences is probably that the company is giving you a discount for combined insurance - house and car at the same place. Not all of the difference, but some ...

Old 05-03-2013, 05:44 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post

(snipped)
Holy cow! Where do you live that insurance is that cheap!! I'd LOVE to even have my insurance for $1800 let alone $500.

Unfortunately insurance in my county is difficult to get (not many companies willing to underwrite my county and I'm not even on the coast!) and the rates went up twice last year in Texas.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:25 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,195,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnc66 View Post
Holy cow! Where do you live that insurance is that cheap!!
The difference in insurance pricing is crazy - I'm in Fairfax, Virginia, county of outrageous home pricing.

The coverage is pretty much as before - approximately $400,000 with the usual liability stuff, etc. As noted, whatever I had before I pretty much got again (maybe some insignificant item was dropped - I'd have to check - but that would have been for, say, jewelry or something).

The car insurance companies ALL advertise "Get our quote - save hundreds!" which in and of itself is nuts - yet here I did it with house insurance and saved...welll...hundreds!

Over time I guess the insurance companies must just raise their rates - so if you compare existing to new-business quote the deal is already done. Since house insurance is typically tied into the mortgage payment the actual rate is (obviously for me) not as apparent. You can bet, however, I'll be paying MUCH closer attention from now on.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:47 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
"pretty much the same"--what's different? That could make a big difference in your premiums and in your coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living