Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 09:18 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,073,479 times

Advertisements

I spent 2 years traveling in a small RV and have learned to be very careful about clothing. First I buy clothing that is highly functional. My pants have cargo pockets and a very well made. I think they fit well and look decent. My shirts are mainly T shirts with pockets (for my sunglasses case). I have lots of them but most are gray with a few other colors. None of my clothing is 100% cotton. Blends are much more comfortable in either hot or cold weather and blends outlast cottons by several times. I did carry black shoes, khaki pants, a few dress shirts, a blue blazer and a red tie and a black tie. In 2 years I "dressed" up once for a wedding.

I am no longer traveling full time and am even getting ready to buy a house. I guess I should start dressing to fit in.....but I won't. First I spent years and years going to work with a tie around my neck. I found that to be ridiculous. I was never in the British military and do not need to display my colors. I also spent years wearing a wool jacket even in the middle of the summer and even when I lived in Arizona. Absolutely ridiculous. I have never lived in an unheated European castle. I will no longer wear clothing so I appear to fit into the herd. Also I realize that if I really need to look my best, clothing is not going to do it. I need to exercise, stay fit and lose 15 pounds.

When I go to the Malls, I see more than enough fashion. Clothing and accessories appear to be a major expense even during bad economic times. Clothing is made for fad and fashion and typically is poorly made and not very functional. Having spent a great deal of the past 2 years outside all day, I can agree with the adage: there is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

Finally, I find the expense on fashion to be just plain sad. Others can afford fashion because clothing is cheap and disposable. It is cheap because it is made in third world countries in sweat shops often with child labor. It would be best to stop these practices and maybe take some of the money we spend on fashion and help these countries build economies that are more beneficial and do not depend on dirt cheap labor.

Obviously there is another side to the coin. Some people are slobs. Some older people also seem to lose their sense of smell and don't bathe. I see these as issues which are separate from dressing fashionably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:24 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,966,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
I noticed some people will wear the same clothes all the time, or at least whenever I see them.

For instance I know this guy at the gym for perhaps over 7+ years and yet he always wears the same outfit working out! Now I don't know if he has multiples of the same outfit, but I find that a bit embarrassing, especially if you go as much as he does.

Another retired guy I know brags that he's in the 1%, but he always wears the same jacket and shirt underneath. He's a customer I been dealing with over a year and wonder what's the use of being in the 1% if you can't afford to wear different clothes?

How about you? Do you know anyone who always wears the same clothes or has a limited wardrobe?

Are you the type to wear the same clothes over and over until there is holes before you replace them?
I know a lot of people who wear the same clothes often, my husband and I are included in that group.
Second, why is it your concern who wears what and when? Does it really have that much of an impact on your life? Do you know for sure that those are the absolute same clothes and they have not been washed to your standards? No you don't so butt out and worry about your own clothing.

Quote:
I don't really care about fashion, but more about hygiene and excessive frugality.

There's only so many times you can wash a shirt before it starts smelling, especially if you use that shirt for a manual labour job.
That is crap and I have no idea who planted that in your head. ALL clothing can be and is washed properly and does NOT smell IF you wash the item properly. I have clothes that are 20 years old that I still wear that do not smell and they have been used for everything from cleaning out the ditch to painting in the house.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:32 AM

18,082 posts, read 18,681,854 times
Quote:
For instance I know this guy at the gym for perhaps over 7+ years and yet he always wears the same outfit working out! Now I don't know if he has multiples of the same outfit, but I find that a bit embarrassing, especially if you go as much as he does.
Many people do this, including me. I wear a plain white Hanes t-shirt; I do not see why to wear anything different, it is the gym, not a fashion show. I think it is absurd to spend significant money on gym clothes. I have a few of them, I by a new pack every so foten when they get wore out.

I would find it more embarrasing to be out of shape and yet get all dressed up in a $50+ outfit. I see this all the time when out running, slow, chubby, out of shape people with some perectly matched running gear, complete with the belt that holds special sized water bottles. Or at the gym the guys wearing matching shoes-shirt outfits, yet cannot even put up a body weight bench.

Quote:
Another retired guy I know brags that he's in the 1%, but he always wears the same jacket and shirt underneath. He's a customer I been dealing with over a year and wonder what's the use of being in the 1% if you can't afford to wear different clothes?
He can afford, just chooses not to. I think that is much better than those who blow money on lots of clothes, yet have a negative savings rate.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:35 AM

18,082 posts, read 18,681,854 times
Quote:
There's only so many times you can wash a shirt before it starts smelling, especially if you use that shirt for a manual labour job.
This is 100% incorrect; I do not know why this myth keeps popping up all of the time, I am sure the clothing industry loves it though. All a person has to do is throw some vinegar or soak the clothes in pine-sol.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:38 AM

13,499 posts, read 18,088,148 times
Quote:
...There's only so many times you can wash a shirt before it starts smelling, especially if you use that shirt for a manual labour job.
Never ever noticed such a phenomenon. Hot water and soap seem to be endlessly effective.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:12 AM

22,253 posts, read 47,174,114 times
Sounds like the OP needs a lesson in laundry!

Old 05-31-2013, 10:16 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,482,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I know a lot of people who wear the same clothes often, my husband and I are included in that group.
Second, why is it your concern who wears what and when? Does it really have that much of an impact on your life? Do you know for sure that those are the absolute same clothes and they have not been washed to your standards? No you don't so butt out and worry about your own clothing.

That is crap and I have no idea who planted that in your head. ALL clothing can be and is washed properly and does NOT smell IF you wash the item properly. I have clothes that are 20 years old that I still wear that do not smell and they have been used for everything from cleaning out the ditch to painting in the house.

This

OP - what is your definition of "old"? Wear just once and throw them out? Or wear for 6 months and then throw them?

Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,947,356 times
I wear the same clean clothes because I have not yet met my weight loss goal.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:26 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,953,955 times
why is someone so worried about what someone else wears to the gym ? we are so blessed in this country . Some people need a good dose of compassion and humility . Want a dose ?, go to india and africa and other countrys where they dont have enough to eat much less wear and they are 6 -8 ppl in a hut . we went on a missions trip years ago and my teens came back so humbled and learned they had it really good .So please remember some people cant afford to buy new clothes to wear to the gym all the time . Maybe you should be the one embarassed by wondering why they dont buy new clothes .

Old 05-31-2013, 11:05 AM

23,519 posts, read 69,916,722 times
Quote:
I noticed some people will wear the same clothes all the time, or at least whenever I see them.

How about you? Do you know anyone who always wears the same clothes or has a limited wardrobe?

Are you the type to wear the same clothes over and over until there is holes before you replace them?
I really like a quote that someone else once used in a rather heated argument. I'll paraphrase it slightly to give my answer:

You have a problem with the way I dress. I'd like to inform you that with age comes wisdom and freedom from caring what the majority think. I have socks in my sock drawer that are older than you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living