Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 04:07 PM

249 posts, read 332,198 times

Advertisements

I personally think that sandals like birkenstock are a bit over priced, so I bought a pair that was half of the price. I am now going to see if they are of the "quality" of birkenstock. I also like boots such as creepers and doc martens, which are very comfortable, though they cost a bit.

Do you splurge on shoes and if so, what brands and how much would you pay for a good pair of shoes, boots or sandals? Just curious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 04:18 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
I don't "splurge" on shoes. I buy well-crafted, quality footwear appropriate for their intended uses, my climate and surroundings, and that support and accommodate my feet. You only get one pair of feet, and they need to last a lifetime. "Bargain" shoes usually aren't, either because they don't hold up or they bother your feet to the point you don't wear them. They end up taking space in a closet. You can save unused money for something else or another day. Unused shoes don't provide any benefit unless you sell them to some other poor sucker.

Old 07-24-2022, 11:57 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
I don't cheap out on shoes. It is hard enough to find comfortable, supportive shoes in the right size as it is. Fashion or brand-names mean nothing to me, but comfort sure does.

I'm OK with spending $100 on the right shoes. And mine last....decades. I spent over $250 on MBT shoes that fixed foot pain when on my feet all day. Well worth it.

Old 07-25-2022, 06:11 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesevar View Post
Do you splurge on shoes and if so, what brands and how much would you pay for a good pair of shoes, boots or sandals?
I have Duck Feet (EEE Width), so I often have to go with what fits vs what I want. Availability is certainly better today than when I was growing up, but it can still be difficult to find the right size.

Old 07-25-2022, 07:49 AM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julesevar View Post
I personally think that sandals like birkenstock are a bit over priced, so I bought a pair that was half of the price. I am now going to see if they are of the "quality" of birkenstock. I also like boots such as creepers and doc martens, which are very comfortable, though they cost a bit.

Do you splurge on shoes and if so, what brands and how much would you pay for a good pair of shoes, boots or sandals? Just curious!

Birkenstock, creepers, and doc martens are not "fancy" shoes. They may be expensive or overpriced or comfortable, but they are not "fancy".

Old 07-25-2022, 08:05 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I believe in taking care of my feet. I can’t wear cheap shoes, and I have problem feet. My husband can get by with anything, so I have to sneak good quality into my husbands shoe wardrobe, or he would live in $12. slip ons from Walmart. We live in the south, so we don’t need footwear for bad weather.

I think if you only buy a few pairs of shoes every ten years or so, you might as well go for quality.

He is having hip surgery and can’t bend over to tie shoes, so I just ordered him some $90. Skechers that are called slip-in. I know they will be worth it in his recovery.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:07 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
95% of the time I just wear socks. I have rubber matting in the kitchen where I stand, otherwise I just pad around. Much more comfortable for me, as my feet have never liked shoes. I use cheap lightweight shoes most of the time when working outdoors, but have workboots for some jobs and tall boots for others. When I shop or go out, about the only shoes I can tolerate are a more expensive New Balance shoe. However, those last me for years.

I've tried just about every shoe around. When first working, I used to buy plain moccasins that had no sole, just the leather, and go through a pair in month or two. I seem to be an outlier, as most people I know HAVE to wear shoes, some with special inserts or supports.

Old 07-25-2022, 12:41 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Why are the shoes expensive? Is it quality? Or are you paying for a fancy design and designer label?

Quality costs money. Quality involves skilled labor and more expensive materials. Quality should last a lot longer if you take reasonable care of it.

Right at the moment, my shoes are from Costco. They are well made and last a long time. They do not come with high quality inserts and arch support, so I buy good inserts separately and add those to the shoes. I end up with reasonable cost shoes that wear a long time and look just fine.

When I wore cowboy boots I would pay the cost for quality leather and good workmanship and then take really good care of them so they would last. There is a huge difference in cost between good boots and walk-around cheap imitation boots and feet can tell the difference.

Its OK to be frugal with shoes, but you have to take good care of your feet. Spend enough money so your feet are adequately protected and supported and you will reap the rewards as your feet get older and are still working correctly.

Old 07-25-2022, 04:38 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,984 times
My favorite shoes are Keen's. About 5 years ago my DIL told me that a friend of hers bought her Keen shoes in a Big Kid size rather than the same style in the Women's size for significantly less. Since I have fairly small feet, but prefer a larger toe box, I was able to save about 50% by buying the same shoe labeled "Big Kid" vs Women. Crazy, but true.

Old 07-25-2022, 05:12 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Add me to the list of people who will spend a few bucks for quality footwear. Most of my shoes are utilitarian, and I have spent as much as $180 or so on a pair of workboots.

I do have some name brands in the closet, mostly because the name brands also happen to be the quality footwear that lasts a long time and protects and support my feet.

My current hiking boots are Merrill. Comparable to Keen, I just happen to prefer the Merrill for fit.

Timberland workboots. Really durable, waterproof, each pair will last me many years.

LL Bean "bean boots". These are my walking in the rain and mud boots. Living in Washington State where it rains all the time, waterproof is a high priority. I could do the same thing with rubber boots, but I find the LLBean boots worth it for the support. I had my first pair for 30 years, although only about 15 years of hard use. I purchased my 2nd pair just a few months ago, and I doubt I will ever need to purchase a 3rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living