Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 05:38 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,500,111 times

Advertisements

I will be unable to travel for the foreseeable future. It is not financially feasible at the moment. I am looking for inexpensive ways to have fun. I have decided to do a day trip to Washington DC and go to the museum and perhaps the zoo. The trip will be $169 as opposed to over $1000. The museum is free and the zoo is $10.00.

What do you do for fun and how much does it cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 05:41 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,877,314 times
Garden, invite a bunch of people over (we all bring something for the grill or a beverage) we eat and drink and listen to music-
its stopped raining and the sun is out, thats FUN!

(for outings, camping is a big one, cause we bring the dogs, spend a day at the river- next weekend we are going to the Yuba river, which is just gorgeous that crystal clear snow melt water and the 90 degree weather is such a nice juxtaposition)...

Old 05-29-2017, 08:24 PM

811 posts, read 695,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I will be unable to travel for the foreseeable future. It is not financially feasible at the moment. I am looking for inexpensive ways to have fun. I have decided to do a day trip to Washington DC and go to the museum and perhaps the zoo. The trip will be $169 as opposed to over $1000. The museum is free and the zoo is $10.00.

What do you do for fun and how much does it cost?
I don't do a whole lot of "fun" stuff, but I guess these would fall under the fun umbrella.

Depending on where I am on a given week, I'm less than two hours to either the beach or mountains. Day trips are maybe $100 once I factor in gas and eating out/other activities.

A few friends convinced me to go to a contra dance a few weeks ago, and it was quite fun, a lot more so than I expected. Three and a half hours of that for $6 is a pretty good deal imo, and I definitely want to go again. Certainly not as expensive as some other stuff I do such as rock climbing at one of the local climbing gyms, which is typically around $25 per visit.

Sometimes I'll meet with some of my friends and play a pick up game of basketball, football, or kickball at a local park. Always free aside from the equipment needed, which is a one-time purchase, and the gas needed to get to the park.

Old 05-29-2017, 09:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,604,662 times
I love those senior day bus trips! I just moved, and am too broke to sign up for one for probably a couple months. In the meantime, I found out about a free group "class" where you can go hang out with other seniors at the senior center and bring your own crafts to work on. I'm going to go check it out next week. I have a few crafts projects I'd like to work on.

I also want to take some cooking classes. I like group activities where I don't have to go somewhere alone, but also don't have to find a friend to go do things with. No pressure :-)

Plus, I've gotten to an age where I like sleeping in my own bed at night. Day trips and classes are the way to go for me. I also have a friend locally to get together with once in a while, too, but this friend is not physically up to doing a lot of stuff, so we will mainly do lunch once in a while.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 AM

32,707 posts, read 48,282,845 times
In a couple of minutes, I can be out in the woods. My family hikes, camps, fishes. Well, fishing can be cheap, although we don't do it the cheap way. With the new digital photography, photography has become a cheap hobby.

It's about a 5 hour drive to the coast, but there are wonderful state campgrounds that are inexpensive. Then walking on the beach, collecting agates, tide pooling, sightseeing at all the wonderful gift shops, as long as you don't buy anything, photography.

I used to go out to pretty places and do watercolor landscapes. Water color isn't particularly cheap, but you could do the same thing with pastels or gel pens and it would be a very cheap day.

Every day, I train and play with my dogs.

I enjoy gardening and have a nice little collection of named varieties of iris. I've stopped buying and now I trade, so it is a cheap hobby at zero cost.

Meeting friends for a picnic in the park, especially if there is an event going on in the park.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:06 AM

496 posts, read 413,162 times
Read library books, play with and walk the dogs, hike, visit my daughter in TN. Visiting my daughter is an 7 hour trip, but if we pack a lunch it is less than $100 round trip for gas. Once we get there, more hiking, festivals etc. I enjoy browsing thrift stores, making crafts from things I find there, such as t shirt tote bags, etc.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:36 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,527,601 times
This thread reminds me of a PSA commercial about how getting busted for DUI can cost up to $10,000 in fines, legal costs, and increased insurance rates.

It features a bunch of young adults at a bar/club where they're pigging out on food, ordering another pitcher, etc...with a KA-CHING every time they say anything - another order of wings! (KA-CHING), can we have some more ranch sauce (KA-CHING)...so what are we DOING this weekend? (KA-CHING)

Old 05-30-2017, 02:19 PM

9,910 posts, read 7,803,054 times
I also like hiking in the mountains, just 20 minutes away for me. I love being outside, I'm happy just reading a book in the backyard in the sunshine.

We did do a quick, frugal trip to the beach last week. 3 days, 2 nights, hotel and gas split 3 ways, including a free night from a rewards program was $70.

Old 05-30-2017, 02:55 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,317,801 times
We could go to the ocean for a day or camping there or someplace else for less than $100 if we cook. We'll eat there or at home regardless so if we cook, it will be roughly the same amount unless I go buy a lot of extra junk food.

Old 05-30-2017, 03:01 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,637,010 times
You could have a faux foreign trip!

Go to the library and find a Rick Steves' Europe CD collection. Let's say Italy. Get the Italy CD collection. Then look at some Italian recipes. Stop at the store and get the ingredients, as well as the appropriate wine. Make and eat dinner. Watch the CDs.

If you have children and want to take this concept further, you could check out an Italian language CD and try speaking Italian to each other after dinner. You could also do some related art or craft projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living