Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:28 PM

1,018 posts, read 3,385,175 times

Advertisements

in the past decade, i have driven 1000 - 2000 dollar cars. I like it because i dont have a payment, i dont care if someone hits my car, and i can fix cars so if something fails all i pay for is the cost of the part, and sometimes i go to the junkyard to get it if the part is a non moving part.

I'm in my late 20's now and everyone around me drives a car thats at least 8k or more, and for me to drive like this for a long time, and sometimes the public sees how i drive people just have a bad impression on me. all of the cars i have owned have damage on the outside and its a beater, and sometimes people look at that and just talk behind my back. I have not cared about what people think for a while and now i'm seeing where my life shaping up.

I sold my car 2 months ago and within the next few months i will shop for a car. my gut instint is to buy a car for 1000, fix it up, and drive it for a few years, and in the end i loose nothing in terms of loosing value on the car. If i buy a car that doesnt have damage, low miles, within 10 years old, I would be looking at least 8000 and i know for a fact within 6 years i can sell it for 1500, and for me, to save 6500 takes a while. I would much rather take the 6500 and spend it on a vacation or just bank it and be safe if i need it for something.

Its hard for me to change because ive been used to this way of living for a while, I never owed money, had a car loan, and im not scared if a boss is about to fire me because i have savings for at least 2 years. in my past job where there were layoffs, I was the only person there that didnt even sweat while other folks were keeping quiet and kissing behinds to hope that they dont get axed.

tell me what you think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 06:32 AM

24,717 posts, read 11,055,349 times
Why let peer pressure dictate your purchase?

Old 06-17-2014, 06:44 AM

22,642 posts, read 47,805,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post

I'm in my late 20's now and everyone around me drives a car thats at least 8k or more
Everyone?
Over 8K?

Guess you either better get hoppin' on a new car greater than 8k... or become comfortable with who you are and what you can afford.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,505,264 times
Quote:
in the past decade, i have driven 1000 - 2000 dollar cars. I like it because i dont have a payment, i dont care if someone hits my car, and i can fix cars so if something fails all i pay for is the cost of the part, and sometimes i go to the junkyard to get it if the part is a non moving part.

I'm in my late 20's now and everyone around me drives a car thats at least 8k or more, and for me to drive like this for a long time, and sometimes the public sees how i drive people just have a bad impression on me. all of the cars i have owned have damage on the outside and its a beater, and sometimes people look at that and just talk behind my back. I have not cared about what people think for a while and now i'm seeing where my life shaping up.

I sold my car 2 months ago and within the next few months i will shop for a car. my gut instint is to buy a car for 1000, fix it up, and drive it for a few years, and in the end i loose nothing in terms of loosing value on the car. If i buy a car that doesnt have damage, low miles, within 10 years old, I would be looking at least 8000 and i know for a fact within 6 years i can sell it for 1500, and for me, to save 6500 takes a while. I would much rather take the 6500 and spend it on a vacation or just bank it and be safe if i need it for something.

Its hard for me to change because ive been used to this way of living for a while, I never owed money, had a car loan, and im not scared if a boss is about to fire me because i have savings for at least 2 years. in my past job where there were layoffs, I was the only person there that didnt even sweat while other folks were keeping quiet and kissing behinds to hope that they dont get axed.

tell me what you think
I'd say just keep driving cheap cars if that's what you're into. I'd rather "buy" a lifestyle of no debt and not worrying about job loss using ample savings than use that money to buy a shiner car.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 AM

18,551 posts, read 15,629,231 times
Quote:

tell me what you think
6500 on a vacation? That's excessive!

Old 06-17-2014, 07:37 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,505,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
So is spending over $10,000 on a car. I've probably spent at least 3x on vacations than cars in my lifetime..

Old 06-17-2014, 07:40 AM

22,642 posts, read 47,805,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

Depends on the vacation... I would rather spend money on vacations than cars that's for sure!
But vacations are not the OP's concern..

Old 06-17-2014, 09:51 AM

30,616 posts, read 16,294,599 times
I agree-your nickel, your decision.

Don't forget tho', people who can't fix their own car are also buying a bit of security.

As long as you are willing and able to fix it yourself, what you're doing makes sense to me.

Old 06-17-2014, 10:19 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,795,768 times
You are doing it exactly right. If you need more factual validation, google up the average annual cost of owning a car.

I once bought a car from a used car lot. I had never done this before, but I was looking for a specific make and model, and it wasn't showing up in private ads. So I armed myself by reading a book called 'Don't Get Taken Every Time' by Remar Sutton, who had worked as a used car salesman. The sales tactics he described were so off-the-wall, I was sure he had cherry-picked bad examples. Nope, the salesman I encountered seemed like he had read the book too, as a sales manual, because he tried *every single* tactic in the book. I couldn't believe it. I tried to derail him to get him to deal straight with me, but it was no use, he was a robot.

The first thing he tried was "what would you say if I could put you in your dream car today?" To which I replied, "I don't dream about cars, I just drive them." He looked a bit startled, then tried a different tactic from the book...

The car selling industry in the US is one huge scam, which many, maybe most, Americans buy into. Let them knock themselves out by chasing the latest, that just results in a larger selection of used cars for you.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:55 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,322,050 times
What you describe is just playing on people's emotions/passions which the media and advertisers have been doing since the advent of television. It's why everyone feels the peer pressure to buy the expensive toys.

What you are doing is smart, OP. Don't give into peer pressure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living