Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 03:33 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,503,808 times

Advertisements

So I washed my windows with Windex yesterday, and with the way the sun was shining you could see streaks and smears no matter how hard I tried to get rid of them.

I remembered someone telling me how good her ho-made washer was, but I sorta ignored her thinking she was a "greenie" trying to get me to be more environmentally conscious. How could ho-made work better than something specially formulated in a lab for this particular job? So I googled it, and found a recipe that just calls for vinegar, water, and a dab of dish washing liquid. This particular website says to use the dish washing liquid just a few times until the waxy residue of the commercial cleaners is gone, which caused me to go Hmmmm maybe that's what those streaks are.

So it took me all of 20 seconds to mix it up (after I spent 15 minutes finding a spray bottle). And Dang! my windows look great! The sun's not out today to check for those hazy streaks, but in this light they look SO much better than they ever have. Why didn't anyone ever tell me??? And it only cost a couple pennies for the same amount that costs a couple dollars in the store.

Has anyone used the recipe with ammonia that also uses corn starch? I was tempted to use that one, but it didn't say anything about my waxy residue problem, so I chose the vinegar/soap instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 04:13 PM

1,914 posts, read 2,245,842 times
"Ho"-Made? Really?

Old 09-21-2013, 04:20 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times
Actually -- the streaks from the commercial product is from alcohol. The product is drying faster than you can wipe it dry. Happens all the time when you wash windows in the sun. I'm a janitor -- and sunny windows get washed with VERY LITTLE Windex, because of that.

That's why the home made stuff works better -- you can wipe it dry before it dries in the sun.

But I've discovered that Windex works the best on carpet spots, and really does a number on trodden on gum on carpet.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:23 PM

22,606 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
"Ho"-Made? Really?
Seriously!

Lilly, it is HOME made, unless you really are....

Old 09-21-2013, 04:39 PM

9,153 posts, read 9,503,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Actually -- the streaks from the commercial product is from alcohol. The product is drying faster than you can wipe it dry. Happens all the time when you wash windows in the sun. I'm a janitor -- and sunny windows get washed with VERY LITTLE Windex, because of that.

That's why the home made stuff works better -- you can wipe it dry before it dries in the sun.

But I've discovered that Windex works the best on carpet spots, and really does a number on trodden on gum on carpet.
Okay but even with no sun, this looks better than I've ever seen my windows look. I did a double take when I glanced out the kitchen window.

So I guess I won't throw away the Windex. I'll try it next time I have something on the carpet. Thanks for the tip.

Old 09-21-2013, 04:51 PM

23,673 posts, read 12,582,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
"Ho"-Made? Really?
bwahaha

I've always found that using newspaper, instead of a paper towel or cloth towel, helps keep the streaks down.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:16 AM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
bwahaha

I've always found that using newspaper, instead of a paper towel or cloth towel, helps keep the streaks down.
Yeah -- but no one gets the newspaper anymore.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:49 PM

383 posts, read 641,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
bwahaha

My cleaning lady uses the vinegar and soap thing. But her trick is using coffee filters to wipe it down. I swear it works! I'm horrible with windows and mirrors. The coffee filter did the job.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:07 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,105,294 times
I was watching that worlds cheapest people show on tlc and a guy was putting coffee grounds in water and using that as window swashing fluid and claimed it worked well.

THe professional window cleaners just use iodine and dish soap nothing fancy, no speciall checmicals or products

Old 09-24-2013, 03:46 PM

524 posts, read 844,245 times
vinegar does everything
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living