Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:27 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,103,368 times

Advertisements

I've been needing a vacuum for hte longest time but have always been disapointed with vacuums both cheap and expensive. I'd considered buying a Dyson or some of the other higher end brands figuring its not cheap but its a longterm investment but couldn't pull the trigger on spending $500 for a vacuum.

I wound up getting a Bissel Heavy Duty and couldn't be happier. It's $150 so not the cheapest option out there but then again it's not gonna break the bank either, they offer a 5 year warranty and it works really well. I couldn't be happier.

If your anything like me you do enldess research before buying a larger ticket itm and hate spending money, especially on something that may not even work that well but I'm thrilled and think its a steal of a deal at the price. Normally $179 Walmart had them marked down to $149.

Bissel Heavy Duty Vacuum Cleaner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 11:56 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
I have a sears canister vacuum which I bought at the thrift store for $8. I never have to replace the belt on it, and it works for vacuuming the cars too. I do have to buy bags for it, but Walmart has them for about a dollar each. I've been using that vacuum for 5 years, and when it breaks I'll buy another from the thrift store

Old 09-24-2013, 12:55 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,134 times
I've got a Dyson and it's been pretty good. The husband bought when the old one died - I was out of town at the time so I didn't get a say-so so I'm not sure I'd buy it again.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:19 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,073,033 times
I've had a dyson, and several other types of vacuums - My conclusion is that bagged vacuums are the best, and that you shouldn't spend more than 80 bucks on a vacuum. They suck crap up, don't need anything fancy for that.

I have a 40 dollar bagged dirt devil now, in terms of performance, it seems about on par with the dyson.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:06 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,103,368 times
I've heard it said Dyson isn't necessarily the best vacuum but has the best advertising. I decided to go with a bagless because bags add up in cost as well as filters. Something that has washable filters and no bags could literally save me hundreds of dollars per year considering sometimes filters are $15-$20 a pop.

I would definately say there is a reason to spend over $80 on a vacuum if you have people with allergies, pets, etc. Both in terms of your health and the life of your carpts and furniture it could save you money in the longrun.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:20 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,278,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I've heard it said Dyson isn't necessarily the best vacuum but has the best advertising.
I agree with this whole-heartedly.

Quote:
I would definately say there is a reason to spend over $80 on a vacuum if you have people with allergies, pets, etc. Both in terms of your health and the life of your carpts and furniture it could save you money in the longrun.
This is where that marketing thing kicks in.

This difference between a cheapie and an expensive vacuum isn't suction or filtration. Most vacuums have 12 amp motors these days, which means there's no significant difference in the amount of suction between them. And even some of the cheapest vacuums have HEPA filters that trap the smallest particles.

The big difference is features and psychology.

I have a cheap Eureka that sells at Wal Mart for something like $39.95. I bought mine used at Goodwill for $5.38. The suction power and filtration is equivalent to Dyson and the other high-dollar brands. Mine doesn't have all the cool features that the others have, which I don't need anyway, and it's got a small tube that makes a sharp bend where debris can get caught and start a clog. About three times a year I have to pull it out and fish the clog out with a coat hanger. Is it an inconvenience? Sure. Is it enough of a convenience to compel me to buy a new vacuum for 100 times what I paid for this one? Not in this lifetime.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:34 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I have a sears canister vacuum...
Another vote for the tried and true, and still under $200 new, Kenmore.

Kenmore Canister Vacuum 29319

Old 09-24-2013, 03:45 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Best vacuum I ever owned in my life was a 1970s-era Hoover upright from a thrift store. That thing would suck up one of the dogs if I wasn't careful. Sucked up absolutely everything in its path and the bags were way cheap. Cost me $60 used and I had it for many years; even got annual "tune ups" done by the local vacuum cleaner shop.

I caved in and bought a Dyson "Animal" a few years ago but it really isn't all that. Just adequate and I feel silly spending so much money on the thing.

Next time I need a vacuum cleaner I am checking thrift stores and craigslist for old vintage ones that really work!

Old 09-24-2013, 03:48 PM

106,723 posts, read 108,913,061 times
will it work if i want to measure the speed of light in a vacuum?

Old 09-24-2013, 05:15 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,288,572 times
Honestly, we in the vacuum biz don't much care for Dysons. They suck, but not in a good way. We call them "Die-Soons", as do many of the vac repair people we know.

You want a good vac? Get a used/refurbished quality vacuum - Kirby, Electrolux, Miele, Riccar/Simplicity, Filter Queen, old Hoover uprights. Kenmores are iffy used; you have to trust the seller. We sell a LOT of used Kenmore motors, because Kenmore is a very dirty vacuum. The motors get burned out. Oh, and the newer Kenmores now use Chinese motors, which are not as good quality as the older ones made in the US or Mexico.

You can get a quality used vac, depending on brand/model, for under $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living