Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:30 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times

Advertisements

I'm not an environmentalist. I do things to conserve energy to cut cost. I think environmentalist would get more people to listen if they focused on money. I live in a 14 year old mobile home in south Louisiana. Summer electric bill average is $120 with thermostat at 73, electric heating pad running several hours a day, TV on more than 10 hours a day. Trailer has double Windows, but aren't insulated. Have heat reflective window tint and solar screens on all Windows. Have solar curtains on bedroom Windows to make room darker (work rotating shifts). All lights are CFL except for back door light (rarely used) and kitchen light recently replaced with LED bulb(less than $10). Water heater is at 120. Low flow shower head. And a light switch timer for front light. Tried motion sensor switch but it's sensor lense degrades in direct sunlight we have year round. Timer is AutoChron. Lowe's has a model like this. Fits over light switch instead of replacing light switch. Replacement switch timer is cheaper, but our walls are too thin for the timer box. We use microwave, toaster oven, and electric skillet when possible. I keep my AC coils clean. I drive my 11 year old V6 Malibu softly in town generating 24 MPG average per tank (33 MPG HWY) with 98,000 miles on the car (bought it one year old with 2 years remaining on factory warranty for $9,990).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 08:50 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
Set your thermostat to 80 in the summer and 70 in the winter.. that's gonna bring the most bang for the buck.

Your choice of car is fine if it's not in need of any major repairs.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:43 PM

17,604 posts, read 17,635,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Set your thermostat to 80 in the summer and 70 in the winter.. that's gonna bring the most bang for the buck.

Your choice of car is fine if it's not in need of any major repairs.
i did before getting married. wife now spends most of her day on a heating pad on the recliner or bed due to spinal problems. that's why it's at 73 degrees. before her, summer high electric bill was $86 and lowest was winter at $38.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:56 AM

123 posts, read 295,667 times
I recommend wattage meters... there are cheap watt meters you can buy online that plug into the wall that you can plug whatever into, and it tells you how much electricity said appliance is using and has used since you plugged it in.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:04 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,898,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choo_choo_train_lol View Post
I recommend wattage meters... there are cheap watt meters you can buy online that plug into the wall that you can plug whatever into, and it tells you how much electricity said appliance is using and has used since you plugged it in.
One of the shocking (no pun intended) things you will find is how much some appliances use while turned off. This is all about household energy. For automotive, there are many articles on hypermiling.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:37 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I'm not an environmentalist. I do things to conserve energy to cut cost. I think environmentalist would get more people to listen if they focused on money.
That's true. We (as in the environmentalists) have to make it cheap and easy. The problem is that a lot of being green IS cheap, but it's time-consuming (like line drying clothes, walking places instead of driving).

Old 10-27-2013, 06:29 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
im hoping when I build my next house in about 5 years they will have made solar panels so cheap that it will make electricity practically free. I want to go with that to save money and also to become less dependent on the utilities. the environment is also not significant for me.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
One of the shocking (no pun intended) things you will find is how much some appliances use while turned off. This is all about household energy. For automotive, there are many articles on hypermiling.
That is why I unplug my airconditioner in the winter time and also unplug certain appliances when I go away for a vacation, etc.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:28 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,477,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Plug multiple major appliances into a power strip so you can turn the whole thing off when not in use.

Hypermiling is risky.. one bad move and you could end up paying significantly more (for the accident + increased insurance.)

Old 10-28-2013, 10:43 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,677,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Plug multiple major appliances into a power strip so you can turn the whole thing off when not in use.

Hypermiling is risky.. one bad move and you could end up paying significantly more (for the accident + increased insurance.)
isn't hypermiling a variety of tactics for maximizing mpg? I believe the tactic considered dangerous is tailgating trucks to reduce the wind resistance. but most other tactics are plenty safe. they are more like driving like a geezer. the basic idea is just to minimize how much you use the brake and to accelerate slowly. so drive in the right lane at the highway at 55mph or when off the highway anticipate the lights so you slow down ahead instead of stopping short at the light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living