Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 11:33 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times

Advertisements

I'm curious how many of you participate in the "sharing economy"?

I recently became a "member" in a movement called Buy Nothing Project... it's not in that many places yet besides in the PNW, but I think there are some groups in Florida and California. Basically you join a facebook group of your community and you give/receive everything for free. You can't advertise, you can't trade... no money can be involved in the transaction at all (I was told it's for tax reasons, but that stuff is beyond me) all you can do is offer something and ask for something. My community is just now getting started and it's pretty dead still, but there is a town nearby that has 1000 people giving and taking stuff everyday (most of it is stuff I wouldn't need, but it's still cool).

Do you guys have something like this where you live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 05:44 AM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Sounds like freecycle... which has been around for quite some time (but not in my area).

Great idea but practically impossible for my family.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:20 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,664,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Sounds like freecycle... which has been around for quite some time (but not in my area).

Great idea but practically impossible for my family.
Why is that?

It is like freecycle but I abhor using freecycle. I've tried twice. I just think the interface is difficult to manage.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:30 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
I've used freecycle for years. Mostly to give away items. but, occasionally I'll want something mentioned.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:32 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I did like Freecycle better back in the day.... since they switched, it's more "work" - but I do like it to see what folks need (and an occasional thing that I might want).

Old 11-24-2013, 06:39 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
Why is that?
No one ever has shirts with 38" sleeves, or pants with 36" or longer inseams, or size 15 shoes, or Arts & Crafts furniture, etc., etc., etc.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:54 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,499 times
I got an artificial Christmas tree and 10' garland from Freecycle.

I gave a lot of things away, also.

I left the group because of their asinine rules.

Now I just put stuff in my carport and let people take it when they see it is up for grabs. Works better for me.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:48 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,943,013 times
I use freecycle all the time. Great for house cleaning, and I've received lots of baby items and things for my classroom over the years.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:35 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I'm curious how many of you participate in the "sharing economy"?

I recently became a "member" in a movement called Buy Nothing Project... it's not in that many places yet besides in the PNW, but I think there are some groups in Florida and California. Basically you join a facebook group of your community and you give/receive everything for free. You can't advertise, you can't trade... no money can be involved in the transaction at all (I was told it's for tax reasons, but that stuff is beyond me) all you can do is offer something and ask for something. My community is just now getting started and it's pretty dead still, but there is a town nearby that has 1000 people giving and taking stuff everyday (most of it is stuff I wouldn't need, but it's still cool).

Do you guys have something like this where you live?
interesting concept. im somewhat confused though, you said you can't trade but then in the next sentence say you can offer something and ask for something. is it just people giving away stuff or is it bartering?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,507,868 times
I send my stuff to bootstraps or other sell your stuff for money to benefit others.
Freecycle is sort of bartering I think. Nothing like that around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living