Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 11:36 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,623,447 times

Advertisements

Every time I see the subject line for this thread I have to laugh. I, (one person household) get by on a $1,000 a month easily and I have a car. For medical I have Medicare. So $1,800 would mean a savings account with a nice balance!

Old 12-05-2013, 09:52 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,357,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Every time I see the subject line for this thread I have to laugh. I, (one person household) get by on a $1,000 a month easily and I have a car. For medical I have Medicare. So $1,800 would mean a savings account with a nice balance!

Littlelu. Do you live in a shoe? All kidding aside. Would love to hear your budget, and some others struggling with how to live on a limited budget would also like to hear how you do it.

Last edited by modhatter; 12-05-2013 at 10:59 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 03:36 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,623,447 times
LOL...I actually live in a 471 sq very nice apt with laundry hookups. More than 1/2 my income goes to rent. I have a spreadsheet that lists all my bills for the year including car insur, tags and inspection, dental cleanings etc. I have $270 a month left for food and incidentals. Of course some months are different like when I pay the 6 mo auto insurance premium, that is why I did it by the year. I'm very careful what I buy. I always check the local ads and use coupons. I eat out maybe once a week. My Medicare premium is paid by the state along with copays, thank goodness or I'd really have difficult time of it. I do not feel deprived. I chose to retire at nearly 63 yoa, so I took a hit on my SS. I had a good paying job and I still have savings from it. I don't fee deprived at all. I'm actually rich compared to most folks in the world. Remember, you are only poor when you want more than you have! I was miserable on my job and after 40 yrs of working I had to get out of it. Just fed up with all the bs on the job.
I do sell on ebay now and then for a little extra.
I might add I do not eat hot dogs and ramen, ever. I eat good quality nutritious food that I cook myself.

Old 12-06-2013, 04:27 PM

31 posts, read 73,973 times
Use lots of coupons and look for deals online. I think you should also try to save a little bit of money, even $25/month, for emergencies that will occur.

My biggest recommendation would be to get a 1-bedroom apartment rather than a 2-bedroom as you stated. Those extra dollars that you save on rent might just give you the breathing room you want.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
LOL...I actually live in a 471 sq very nice apt with laundry hookups. More than 1/2 my income goes to rent. I have a spreadsheet that lists all my bills for the year including car insur, tags and inspection, dental cleanings etc. I have $270 a month left for food and incidentals. Of course some months are different like when I pay the 6 mo auto insurance premium, that is why I did it by the year. I'm very careful what I buy. I always check the local ads and use coupons. I eat out maybe once a week. My Medicare premium is paid by the state along with copays, thank goodness or I'd really have difficult time of it. I do not feel deprived. I chose to retire at nearly 63 yoa, so I took a hit on my SS. I had a good paying job and I still have savings from it. I don't fee deprived at all. I'm actually rich compared to most folks in the world. Remember, you are only poor when you want more than you have! I was miserable on my job and after 40 yrs of working I had to get out of it. Just fed up with all the bs on the job.
I do sell on ebay now and then for a little extra.
I might add I do not eat hot dogs and ramen, ever. I eat good quality nutritious food that I cook myself.
Do you pay utilities? What does your car insurance run you a year? What state are you in? It's hard to imagine because even though I supposedly don't live in an expensive state (I'd say medium cost), utilities alone would cost you at very minimum $160 a month even in a small apartment if you have to pay sewer, garbage (you probably don't pay garbage), water, gas, and electric like we do, and car insurance at a minimum $100 a month. Our tags each year can also be very costly if you have a newer car, but if you have an older car maybe about $150. I know of someone on another board who has a newer expensive car and he pays over $1,000 for new tags. Yes, the health insurgence is a real biggie. Even though I am on Medicare, I pay over $400 a month toward Part B, supplements insurance and Prescription drug ((which still has a $300 yearly deductible and co-pays with it) Internet, which is all I have is $65 a month (no cable - just Netflix)

But I live in a house about 1680 sq ft with a big yard so my utilities average more like $350 a month for everything, and yard maintenance $100, home insurance another $650 a year, and always maintenance.
(always lots of maintenance)

The only way I think you could do it here is if you rented a bedroom from someone and had all utilities and internet included in your rent. (and no insurance and prescription costs) I know the midwest can be very reasonable. Seems to be the last frontier for living cheaply in the US.

It's just a subject that intrigues me. How low can you go - if you had to. Good skill to have though.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:02 PM

21,698 posts, read 24,901,043 times
Quote:
How about if you didn't have welfare? That's really what it was about, $1,800 a month. Not $1,800 a month and food stamps, section 8 rent, free medical insurance.

Old 12-06-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
How about if you didn't have welfare? That's really what it was about, $1,800 a month. Not $1,800 a month and food stamps, section 8 rent, free medical insurance.
What a mean thing to say. My guess is LittleLu has some physical problems and that is why he/she received medicare early. She already stated that she/he worked for 37 years. Wait, don't tell me, your the guy who threw money in the cripple's face during the health care debate.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:21 PM

21,698 posts, read 24,901,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
What a mean thing to say. My guess is LittleLu has some physical problems and that is why he/she received medicare early. She already stated that she/he worked for 37 years. Wait, don't tell me, your the guy who threw money in the cripple's face during the health care debate.
Doesn't diminish the point.

The point was could you survive off $1,800/month. If you're surviving of $1,000 month, $500 month in free medical insurance, $200 a month in food stamps, $400 a month section 8 vouchers, $100 month utility subsidy... well great, you're not really surviving off $1,000 a month. You're surviving off $2,200. I don't know that that's the case. Whether you've worked for 40 years or never really doesn't have any bearing on it. Also completely unrelated, but I think Medicare for seniors is an excellent program, but that doesn't mean it isn't welfare. The cash value needs to be included.

Old 12-06-2013, 11:20 PM

[quote=Malloric;32519164]Doesn't diminish the point.

The point was could you survive off $1,800/month. If you're surviving of $1,000 month, $500 month in free medical insurance, $200 a month in food stamps, $400 a month section 8 vouchers, $100 month utility subsidy... well great, you're not really surviving off $1,000 a month. You're surviving off $2,200. I don't know that that's the case. Whether you've worked for 40 years or never really doesn't have any bearing on it. Also completely unrelated, but I think Medicare for seniors is an excellent program, but that doesn't mean it isn't welfare. The cash value needs to be included.[/QUOTE

This person lives in San Antonio, Texas. You should check out the rents there for a one bedroom apartment.
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...42-70915?row=9

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...1-73071?row=22

Your making an awful lot of unsubstantiated assumptions, some of which may not be true. I don't think you are in a position to be talking for this person. Their situation is different in one respect, the original poster had two cars and two mouths to feed. And my guess was the OP was not including insurance in their budget, but we don't know that for certain as they did not address it in their post.

Last edited by modhatter; 12-06-2013 at 11:31 PM..

Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,426,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Medicare is not welfare. There was no mention in her post of food stamps or section 8.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living