Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 12:46 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times

Advertisements

having a good dishwasher makes all the diff if you use it. at my place i had a 10 or 15 year old cheap dishwasher, didnt wash that well. recently moved into a place with a nice one, man does it work good, efficient, cleans and sanitizes with high heat which you cant do handwashing and you dont have to rinse all the scraps off first. i never got that. my dad will wash teh dishes by hand and then do dishwasher im always like the whole point is not to have to do that. anyhow i love my dishwasher, its just me but still like it. ill throw some dishes away before ill spend an hours scrubbing and chipping away at it but the dishwasher takes care of that for me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 12:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I was always just a handwasher, even when living in homes with dishwashers, when I lived alone, and also when I lived with another person. Recently, I've converted to using the dishwasher for most things...there are only two of us, but don't use anything disposable to cook or dine with, we cook a lot from scratch, and generate enough dishes to fill up the dishwasher at least every other day, if not daily. Rinsing and loading, then running the dishwasher once it gets full is far less time consuming than handwashing sinks full of cookware, prep dishes and utensils, appliances and dining dishes and utensils. I've never experienced smells or mold in the day or two it takes to accumulate a full load. I scrape off scraps (we don't have many, and what few we do have, the dogs get on top of their food as a treat) and spray dishes off as I load, which isn't pre-washing, by any stretch.

We also melded two households, and have plenty of dishes and cookware that we don't run out if it's a couple of days between dishwasher loads. I also find that the dishwasher does a better job than I do of getting things clean and sanitized. So, after 36 years of handwashing, sold.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:02 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
I'v never had a dishwasher but now there are only 2 of us and it isn't much of a chore to wash them. We may be doing a minor remodel soon and it will inquire about how much trouble it would be to have one installed along with new counter and sink. If and when the house is sold it would make the kitchen more appealing.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:52 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,247,288 times
The other thing about dishwashers -- the new detergents you almost need to leave some food particles on there -- it seems like the enzymatic cleaners won't work if you pre-wash.

Frankly -- the one appliance I would get rid of in a heartbeat? My garbage disposal. hate that thing.

Old 12-03-2013, 01:54 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
My disposal is relatively valuable to me now that we live in military housing, and are not permitted to maintain an outdoor compost bin.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:41 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,658 times
I mentioned in another thread that I have used my dishwasher for the past 9 years - for storage only! I grew up in a large family (9) and we took turns doing dishes by hand. Now we are a family of 3. I only have 6 plates, so we have to wash dishes every time they are used.

Personally, washing dishes is my favorite household chore. Unless I ask someone to dry while I wash, I have the kitchen to myself. No one standing there asking twenty questions, no one wanting me to do something else for them. Enter my kitchen while I am washing dishes and you might get put to work. (Wait, just thought about that last sentence and I guess that goes for any time you enter MY kitchen when I am working... you don't want to help, you don't bother me.) I enjoy working alone.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:50 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
1. I HATE stooping down to load and unload them.
2. Dishwashers are noisy.
1. No stooping with Dishwashing - Fisher & Paykel Kitchen Appliances dish drawer
2. No noisy with Products - Dishwashers - Shop Quietest Dishwashers - SHX9PT75UC at only 38dB.

Old 12-03-2013, 04:33 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,998,620 times
When my husband lived at home with me, I prepared three full meals and a snack every day for the two of us, and I used the dishwasher every other day.

Now, because of a recent fall, he's had to go into assisted living, and I'm on my own at home. I'm certainly not cooking like I was, and I hand wash my dishes. I'm not having dirty dishes sitting in the dishwasher for a week, waiting to accumulate a full load.

The only problem is, what do I do with all this dishwasher detergent I bought on sale?

Old 12-03-2013, 04:53 PM

582 posts, read 1,118,550 times
I always hand wash in cold water (I wear Playtex gloves). I rarely, if ever, use hot water to wash dishes. I like to listen to music and dance – horribly – while I'm washing my dishes because I like to incorporate physical activity into my lifestyle whenever and wherever possible.

I also hand dry my dishes because I absolutely hate clutter (dish rack) on kitchen counters; I'm a minimalist who likes to keep it clean and simple .

Old 12-03-2013, 07:48 PM

306 posts, read 416,289 times
Thanks for all the replies! I think since it's just me and I don't mind washing by hand and my dishwasher is getting old I may just try that for a month or so and see if I notice a change in the electric bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living