Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:09 PM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,704 times

Advertisements

We only use our dishwasher if we have a lot of company. Just wife and I at home now No sense in wasting water and dish washing soap every day. We hand wash as needed every 2 or 3 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2013, 10:41 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,979,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Frankly -- the one appliance I would get rid of in a heartbeat? My garbage disposal. hate that thing.
I've never understood the appeal of garbage disposals. They can be dangerous and are just an extra point of failure for a leak to start. I don't see how emptying food into the garbage/compost is any worse than putting it in the disposal. In one college apartment we ended up with fruit flies thriving mostly on the garbage disposal (running it with vinegar, soap, and ice cleared it up if I remember right, but it took a long while for us to realize it was the disposal and not the garbage that was attracting them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
Thanks for all the replies! I think since it's just me and I don't mind washing by hand and my dishwasher is getting old I may just try that for a month or so and see if I notice a change in the electric bill.
Even if there is a small change in the electric bill, it still might be worth it. Personally I know if I am facing a full sink of dishes before I can cook and eat at home, it makes me a little more likely to just order a pizza or go out to eat. Even if 9 times out of 10 I choose to get it over with and wash the dishes, that once or twice extra a month that I would eat out more than offsets a minor increase in the electric bill.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:42 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
^I've seen counter top dishwashers that are pretty cool, if that would work for you. They might be just as expensive as an apartment size one, though.
I don't have room on my counters for one of those. My sister had two of those and they both leaked all over the place. They are pretty small too.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:47 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I found one of these on craigslist for 10 bucks a few years ago. It took a trip to the plumbing aisle to make it fit my sink's faucet, but it worked fine otherwise. People are always upgrading appliances and looking for ways to get rid of old ones that work perfectly fine.
I did buy one from Habitat for Humanity and never did get it to fit my faucet. I went to Home Depot, Ace Hardware and Walmart trying to find something that would work. Even my grandson who does appliance repair couldn't get it to work. Never did so 'donated' it back. I'm always looking on Craigslist but only find built ins and very few of those.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:13 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
I cannot fathom that people have dishwashers and do not use them. I have switched to all plastic plates and utensils because I hate doing dishes that much. I would kill for a dishwasher.

Plus hand washing does not get them as clean since our hands cannot tolerate the high temperatures of a dishwasher.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:18 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,932 times
Have a dw in my apt but don't use it very often.

Like some others:

1. Would run out of dishes before the dw was full.
2. Too noisy!
3. Also don't like the 'stooping'.

I realize one can purchase a drawer type dw, and some are better insulated to reduce the racket; however, when renting, you get what you get.

Since it's just me, doesn't take but a few to wash the dishes by hand.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:35 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,887,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I have always heard it costs more to use the dishwasher. I guess it depends on if you just let the hot water run while you rinse everything or what. Anyway, if you have enough dishes to get you through until you have a full load in your diswasher then I'd do that. They are all washed and dried at once and the really hot water of the dishwasher assures they are clean. If you do not have enough dishes to last that long and maybe only use a few dishes a day, I'd just hand wash them.
I agree, I've always thought that rule about dishwashing being more efficient was silly. Who knows how efficient your dishwasher really is, if you have an older model? Maybe I don't fill up the sink more than necessary? And doesn't air drying save on electricity? It's all relative.

I can't put plastics in my dishwasher because they fly around, and my pots and pans don't fit. So I use the dishwasher for all the rest and still do a hand wash also.

I don't care which is more frugal. I just do what is best for the cleanliness of the dishes and to heck with the water, electric and natural gas bill. Lucky for me, those are very low anyway.

Put one of these on your showerhead and don't worry about how you do your dishes:

Evolve Showerheads SS-1002CP-SB Ladybug Water-Saving Shower-Head Adapter, Chrome Polish - Amazon.com

Old 12-04-2013, 10:10 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
We only use our dishwasher if we have a lot of company. Just wife and I at home now No sense in wasting water and dish washing soap every day. We hand wash as needed every 2 or 3 days.
This would involve having near-constant dirty dishes on the counter/in the sink while waiting to hand-wash, which is probably my biggest housekeeping pet peeve...cannot stand to have dirty dishes sitting out. At least if the dishwasher is being filled and waiting to be run, the dishes are rinsed and not sitting out taking up counter and sink space.

Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,629,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
When my husband lived at home with me, I prepared three full meals and a snack every day for the two of us, and I used the dishwasher every other day.

Now, because of a recent fall, he's had to go into assisted living, and I'm on my own at home. I'm certainly not cooking like I was, and I hand wash my dishes. I'm not having dirty dishes sitting in the dishwasher for a week, waiting to accumulate a full load.

The only problem is, what do I do with all this dishwasher detergent I bought on sale?
Nice to have on hand in case there is an occasion when you need to use it..like lots of company or on Thanksgiving.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:54 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
My dishwasher is running right now. I'm in the next room and all I hear is a low, quiet hum. Heaven knows the furnace is much louder than that.

I'm also single, and run the dishwasher at least once a week, whether it needs running or not; generally every 5 to 6 days. The dishes get clean every time. If they don't, something's wrong with your dishwasher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living