Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 02:47 PM

306 posts, read 414,301 times

Advertisements

Everything I have read says it's cheaper to run the dishwasher than to wash by hand. Is this true if it's just one person? It just feels like a waste to run a dishwasher every 4 or 5 days I have an older dish washer and I need to clean the scraps off anyway if they are going to sit for a couple days. I do run short wash rather than full cycle and I have dry off. Would this apply more to families who run it every day?

That also leads me to this question - when they rate longevity for appliances is that for the average use by a family of 4 or just the parts in general. I'm thinking stove frog, water heater.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 05:32 PM

6,595 posts, read 8,909,095 times
It shouldn't make a difference so long as the dishwasher is full. So if you have enough dishes that you can let it fill up every few days without running out of dishes, it would be better than using the sink. You'd have to wash off the scraps either way (you don't want chunks of food in the dishwasher).

Part of the equation is also just personal preference. Doing dishes by hand is a task I really dislike for whatever reason. I know it only takes maybe 5 minutes, but it feels like 30.

Old 12-02-2013, 05:40 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,847,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
Everything I have read says it's cheaper to run the dishwasher than to wash by hand. Is this true if it's just one person? It just feels like a waste to run a dishwasher every 4 or 5 days I have an older dish washer and I need to clean the scraps off anyway if they are going to sit for a couple days. I do run short wash rather than full cycle and I have dry off. Would this apply more to families who run it every day?

That also leads me to this question - when they rate longevity for appliances is that for the average use by a family of 4 or just the parts in general. I'm thinking stove frog, water heater.

Thanks!
I don't really know if it's cheaper or not but I really WANT an apt. size roll around dishwasher. My mom built my kitchen to fit 'her' and she's really short so the counters are very low. Then she put in one of those new really DEEP sinks so by the time I get finished washing dishes my back hurts. I'm the only one here but I would really love to have one. They are expensive though so I guess I'll just put up with the backaches. I have had dishwashers in my home before. One I rarely ever used unless we had company or I was canning. Other ones I had were for more than one person so used often. I miss having one.

Old 12-02-2013, 08:31 PM

41,699 posts, read 74,645,479 times
^I've seen counter top dishwashers that are pretty cool, if that would work for you. They might be just as expensive as an apartment size one, though.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:18 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,107,949 times
We're hand washers. Never had a dishwasher. With just two us, I'd run out of dishes before the dishwasher was full. It takes no time at all, and if I used 2 gallons of water to wash I'd be shocked.

Especially because I run the dishwater after hubby's shower, so there's no warm up time. Soak for a few minutes and wash away. Clean the counters and done.

That Dawn liquid we bought at Costco? It's called power clean and boy -- it really does. A five minute soak really gets the nastiest stuff off with a little scrub.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:16 PM

6,595 posts, read 8,909,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't really know if it's cheaper or not but I really WANT an apt. size roll around dishwasher.
I found one of these on craigslist for 10 bucks a few years ago. It took a trip to the plumbing aisle to make it fit my sink's faucet, but it worked fine otherwise. People are always upgrading appliances and looking for ways to get rid of old ones that work perfectly fine.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:49 AM

30,854 posts, read 36,742,603 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I live alone and I have always thought dishwashers were more aggravation than they are worth, especially for one person.

1. I HATE stooping down to load and unload them. It's a pain to get the dishes lined up, get rid of scraps, etc. I figure by the time I do all that, I could've just washed the stupid dishes myself.

2. Dishwashers are noisy.

3. Like Tallysmom said, I would run out of dishes before the dishwasher was full.

My current apartment doesn't have a dishwasher; but I had one in my last place and never used it in the 3 years I lived there.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:12 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,140,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
It shouldn't make a difference so long as the dishwasher is full. So if you have enough dishes that you can let it fill up every few days without running out of dishes, it would be better than using the sink. You'd have to wash off the scraps either way (you don't want chunks of food in the dishwasher).

Part of the equation is also just personal preference. Doing dishes by hand is a task I really dislike for whatever reason. I know it only takes maybe 5 minutes, but it feels like 30.
This. I would never be without a dishwasher even though I live alone. I detest washing dishes, primarily because as the only girl among 4 siblings with a mother who thought males should only touch dishes while eating, I got stuck washing the family's dishes by myself every single day of my life from the time I was 10 or 12 until I moved out at 18.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,391,368 times
Quote:

Thanks!
I have always heard it costs more to use the dishwasher. I guess it depends on if you just let the hot water run while you rinse everything or what. Anyway, if you have enough dishes to get you through until you have a full load in your diswasher then I'd do that. They are all washed and dried at once and the really hot water of the dishwasher assures they are clean. If you do not have enough dishes to last that long and maybe only use a few dishes a day, I'd just hand wash them.

Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 AM

61,036 posts, read 85,858,261 times
I wash my dishes by hand, because I find it silly to "pre-wash" the dishes before putting into a dishwasher, then wait till it gets full (it might take few days - just think about the smell and the mold ). A daily wash takes just few minutes, and much less water.
But for a bigger family, and lots of cooking - it's probably better to use the dishwasher.

BTW. If you are considering some real $$ savings, read this. Someone did the math here:
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/savin...-hand-washing/

Last edited by elnina; 12-03-2013 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living