Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:15 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,895,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
thats all fine and dandy, however you could die tomorrow...anyone can, not that i wish it but accidents do happen. with that said, one should enjoy the finer things in life every once in awhile, you never know how long youll be around.
I can't begin to tell you how often I have heard this philosophy as a way of life. This kind of justification will keep those people working well into their old age. I am going to gamble on a long life and be plan for that. We live well within our means without going to extremes but still save aggressively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,847,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
How do you know this person went into debt?

The reason I ask is that a lot of people assume if someone uses a credit card that means the person can't afford it. A little over half the people that use credit cards pay them off monthly. I'm tired of the she charged it she MUST be in debt thinking.
I wasn't making any assumptions. She's a friend of mine and told me.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:13 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,847,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
I used to buy everything at Wal-Mart too. I didn't realize that they have name brand small appliances made especially for Wal-Mart. I bought a confection/toaster oven (lg) and it quit working within a few months. It was a GE which I trusted. Check the box to see where it's made and for who it's made for.

I agree, try to always buy quality, it will pay off in the long run.
I have one of those GE convection ovens I bought at Walmart. I've been using it for over four years now and I use it a lot. I don't have a regular kitchen stove/oven so it's a necessity. I'm glad it's still working well.

Were you able to return it or was it past the return date? Did you contact GE? They might have been willing to replace it for that short of a time in use.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:40 PM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,678,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
I can't begin to tell you how often I have heard this philosophy as a way of life. This kind of justification will keep those people working well into their old age. I am going to gamble on a long life and be plan for that. We live well within our means without going to extremes but still save aggressively.
to each their own, id much rather enjoy myself when im younger than to be 70 and have money to blow.

of course this is not meant to get overboard its just meant to say "hey, enjoy yourself from time to time"

Old 12-14-2013, 08:47 AM

30,854 posts, read 36,742,603 times
Quote:
thats all fine and dandy, however you could die tomorrow...anyone can, not that i wish it but accidents do happen. with that said, one should enjoy the finer things in life every once in awhile, you never know how long youll be around.
It depends on how you define "the finer things in life". You might have roommates you really like and have wonderful relationships with. You might even cook inexpensive, but nutritious meals with them.

Psychologists who study happiness generally find that once you're a notch or two above poverty, happiness is much more dependent on stuff like relationships with others and one's spirituality than expensive watches & clothes, big houses, nice cars, etc. The happiness one gets from those things is quite fleeting. I am not knocking the "finer things" but the key to enjoying life's luxuries is that they must be easily affordable. If they're not, they are definitely not worth having. Sometimes luxury items aren't worth having even if you can afford them. I.E. The big house is more hassle to clean and maintain (even if you can afford to). The nice car feeling wears off in a year when the new model comes out and it may not be as reliable as the cheaper Honda or Toyota, etc.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:53 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,201,329 times
This thread reminds me of the toaster oven I recently bought. I just like toasted cheese sandwiches, toasted bagels. I wanted a toaster oven.

They have so many fancy ones now, convection toaster oven, big ones. Fancy, complicated gizmos with stainless steel, some cost upwards $250! I looked around, and got a Rivall toaster oven at Wal Mart for $20. It makes toast, warms pizza, works great.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:57 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,957,501 times
Smart shopping can be done any number of ways however, as I have always tried to explain to my Mother.......

The smaller price at one store does not take into account the cost of the fuel and time you will use to get to that particular store to get the item at a smaller price. Is it really a "bargain" when you consider that?

We shop for quality not price for everything no matter what it is.
We try hard not to shop at Walmart, I never walk into a Macy's or Nordstrom's or any of the other similiar shops like that, we do order from Amazon but specific items and I am sorting things in our home right now to get rid of all the excess items and clutter.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:00 AM

30,854 posts, read 36,742,603 times
Quote:
to each their own, id much rather enjoy myself when im younger than to be 70 and have money to blow.

of course this is not meant to get overboard its just meant to say "hey, enjoy yourself from time to time"
Get back to us when you're 70 and let us know if you've changed your mind.

A few interesting quotes from this piece from mostly older folks to younger folks about what they wish they had done better:

Posters like Chief K also believe that scrimping is far easier--and less unpleasant--when one is young. "My advice is that if you are going to be poor (for example because you're saving/investing a lot of your income), be poor while you are young. Because being poor and old is extremely, very, unpleasant."

Newbie Investors: Listen Up - Yahoo Finance

I have seen this first hand in my own life in a job I used to work with old people. I saw a lot of older folks (and am still in touch with one woman in particular) with no money and no options/flexibility. It's a sh*tty existence and it can last a long time.

I'd also say that really, there are only 2 states of money. Not having enough or having more than you need. There really is no middle ground. It's better to have more than you need and give it away when you're dead. That doesn't mean you scrimp and save your entire life if it's not necessary, but ultimately, being in a state of surplus will always beat being in a state of deficit. Many of the people who plan on just "getting by" will eventually end up in deficit/dependency mode when they get old.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:01 AM

16,349 posts, read 30,053,119 times
I have seen a lot of seniors who have taken the OP's approach. I am sure that it is a real hoot to try to stretch a $1,400 check to last an entire month. One distant relative was using duct tape to hold her glasses together as she has not had money to replace the frames for the past three years.

Have you ever seen some of those nursing homes that you go to when you cannot afford to choose? They are the type of homes where you are knocked off of your feet with the smell of urine upon entry to the building. You see the residents and they are totally unengaged with each other, parked in front if a television with a throng of other unkempt seniors. I have been to many of the "poor folk's homes" as I delivered for florists.

If you start out frugal, you can always ratchet up the spending if you find you have too much money!

Old 12-14-2013, 10:15 AM

3,573 posts, read 4,483,284 times
I buy 'fad' items as accessories to bring my wardrobe up to date.
Quality items would be overkill as these pieces only need to last
a short time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living