Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 12:41 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,998,298 times

Advertisements

theatergypsy and ragnarkar, I know exactly what you mean.....and personally I'm learning that when it comes to certain things (like us all, I guess) -- I'm VERY vulnerable to -- and have found myself -- INCREASING my enjoyment level of certain things and experience. I readily admit I'm paying more than I EVER thought I would. ($65 Jo Malone candles, $500 for 2 vintage bracelets. I confess I sort of regret that purchase. It was an impulse buy.)

For example, I and a friend of mine have both found we're increasing our "price point" -- read that to mean ARE NOT being so cheap/frugal -- when it comes to personal enjoyment and enjoying experiences. Some examples:

1) We've both found ourselves paying more for shoes than we used to. Not $2000 jimmy Choos -- just spending $30-40 dollars instead of $20-30. Shopping at Easy Spirit and Aerosoles -- instead of Payless.

2) Buying lotions at Bath and Body Works, instead of what's cheap and on sale at the supermarket or the Dollar Store.

3) Buying higher end bath towels and sheets instead of the cheapest 180 thread count. Personally once I turned on to 400 thread count I didn't want scratchier 180 count sheets -- a queen sheet set for $15.00 anymore, or cheap wash cloths you can practically see through. The higher count sheet feel better -- and are a better experience.

3) I used to be satisfied with Ivory soap -- basic plain old Ivory. Then I went to a couple of spas. And I found out I LIKE sweet smelling, bath and body scrubs and soaps. I don't WANT Ivory anymore. Now I only use higher end -- you can read that as soaps that coast more -- like Lush products or things I discover at specialty stores.

4) I'm still trying to get my friend to buy better -- BRAND NAME paper towels like Brawny or Bounty. I actually took a roll of about 10 brands to her house for our own water strength test. She KNOWS those brands are better -- and can be RE-used -- but she still can't bring herself to buy the cheapest darn paper towels she can get -- even is she has to use two towels at a time.

I've even pointed out that the brand names ARE NOT TWICE as much -- and using 2 cheap towels at a time cost MORE than the brand names....but she just can't bring herself to spend more money on the purchase. She instinctively reaches for the cheapest thing she can find. She was like that on sheets shoes, darn near everything.

5) $125 for lunch and $165 for dinner at arguably the two best restaurants in the country, while on vacation.

6) AND I'll be honest I'm trying to get everyone I know turned on to better -- finer things as well. Why not. We all only live once. Once I bought 350 and 400 TC sheets for my sister she's never gone back to cheap sheets. She even bought a 500 TC set on sale!

All that said -- another friend of mine buys $1,500 designer handbags -- and I think she's crazy! Go figure.

Like johngolf said.....at various stages....it's ru for me my spending for some things has moved from Walmart, then Macy's, then Nordstorms/Bloomingdales.....but I also want value for money at whatever amount is spent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 08:12 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,895,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
to each their own, id much rather enjoy myself when im younger than to be 70 and have money to blow.

of course this is not meant to get overboard its just meant to say "hey, enjoy yourself from time to time"
I agree with your original statement, time to time is ok. I was speaking about living that way all the time (comment was not personal )

Old 12-19-2013, 09:56 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,591,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Get back to us when you're 70 and let us know if you've changed your mind.

Newbie Investors: Listen Up - Yahoo Finance

I have seen this first hand in my own life in a job I used to work with old people. I saw a lot of older folks (and am still in touch with one woman in particular) with no money and no options/flexibility. It's a sh*tty existence and it can last a long time.

I'd also say that really, there are only 2 states of money. Not having enough or having more than you need. There really is no middle ground. It's better to have more than you need and give it away when you're dead. That doesn't mean you scrimp and save your entire life if it's not necessary, but ultimately, being in a state of surplus will always beat being in a state of deficit. Many of the people who plan on just "getting by" will eventually end up in deficit/dependency mode when they get old.
Wow great post, had not thought of money that way but a very insightful perspective.

Last edited by fumbling; 12-19-2013 at 10:08 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 10:07 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,591,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
When you're young, even small things add up quickly. Now is the time to be living frugally and socking away money in growth funds. Over time, the market averages 7%, so do the math and you will quickly see how wealthy you will be by age 60 if your money is compounding starting now.

If you spend and spend, in order to live the good life, you are merely sacrificing your future wealth in exchange for current indulgence. You are robbing your future self of vast riches, and your future self some 40 years hence will be looking back and saying, "God, why did I waste all that money? I could be financially independent today!"

Believe me -- I regret a lot of things and one of the biggest regrets is that I didn't start saving when I was in my 20s. Of course, I was in grad school until age 28 or so, but still. A lot of purchases, a lot of sushi, and not a whole lot to show for it today!
Very good point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living