Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 09:49 AM
MJ7 MJ7 started this thread

6,221 posts, read 10,749,071 times

Advertisements

Base this on:

- Cost (laundromat, rentals in apt., etc. vs owning)
- Convenience (can wash/dry whenever you need)
- Cost of travel (nothing if you are at home, goes up if you need to travel to a laundromat or go home)
- Time (time to clean clothes)

Here's my situation:

I live in a 1 br apt, it has washer and dryer hookups. Th apt complex does not have a laudry room, they do rent washers/dryers at an additional cost of 40$/month. I wash between 1-3 loads per week (this is reduced because I only go once a week due to inconvenience, it would ideally be 2-4). I spend on average between 5-7$ per week on the laundromat, no additional energy/water bills to consider, however. I can pick up a bundle at a Sears Outlet anywhere between 500-1000 (1000, for the front loaders with energy savings). What would you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 10:06 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,029,293 times
Buy one. (If you plan on being in the Apt for the long term)

$40/month for a 'used' washer/dryer in little over a year you would own the low end outlet one.

The Convenience alone, of not sitting in a laundromat for 2hr or so a week would do it for me.

Water Bill you would not even notice the increase (4 load/wk would be about 800 gallons of month. Dryer would increase your elec bill about $3/month. )

Old 01-25-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Buy one. (If you plan on being in the Apt for the long term)

$40/month for a 'used' washer/dryer in little over a year you would own the low end outlet one.

The Convenience alone, of not sitting in a laundromat for 2hr or so a week would do it for me.

Water Bill you would not even notice the increase (4 load/wk would be about 800 gallons of month. Dryer would increase your elec bill about $3/month. )

Old 01-25-2014, 10:17 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,178,269 times
I live in a certifiable Tiny House. Under 700 sf. (By choice; I have close to an acre of land attached.)

I have washer and dryer hook-ups but prefer to use the laundry/mudroom space for shelving and storage instead. Shortly after buying this house I became friendly with a neighbor. She is on an extremely limited income but has a washer and dryer. I pay her a couple of bucks per load and pay for detergent and softener - I drop laundry at her doorstep on my way to work and it's ready at the end of the day - and really it's a win-win for both of us.

She makes extra money every month and she can truly use it. I am relieved of the hassle and space required to buy, house, maintain and operate laundry equipment.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I live in a certifiable Tiny House. Under 700 sf. (By choice; I have close to an acre of land attached.)

I have washer and dryer hook-ups but prefer to use the laundry/mudroom space for shelving and storage instead. Shortly after buying this house I became friendly with a neighbor. She is on an extremely limited income but has a washer and dryer. I pay her a couple of bucks per load and pay for detergent and softener - I drop laundry at her doorstep on my way to work and it's ready at the end of the day - and really it's a win-win for both of us.

She makes extra money every month and she can truly use it. I am relieved of the hassle and space required to buy, house, maintain and operate laundry equipment.
That is a rare circumstance, and a bit of philanthropy at the same time, nicely done. The only close option I have to this is dropping off my laundry and picking it up later form the laundromat, they charge 1$/lb of clothing to do the wash for you, and they have a 15 lb minimum. Not really that bad of a deal actually that I think about it. But, I would still have to go out of my way to lug it all over there and drop it off then swing by to pick it up later (I can use that time wisely though and do other errands before I return to pick it up). I do not own a weight scale, however, so I have on idea how much I would be spending at a 15$ minimum per cleaning, it's a service that would seem to be expensive, perhaps 30-40 bucks a month. At that price a washer/dryer would pay itself off in 1-2 years (depending on type/brand).

Old 01-25-2014, 10:42 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,337,292 times
You can buy a used or rebuilt top loading washer for $50-100 from craigslist.org. Similar price with dryer as well. There are used appliance stores in my area where they resell rebuilt/fix used appliances and they have lifetime repair warranties, you just have to pay for the parts and take it to their shop. See if there are one in your area. Or you can buy it from someone who upgraded or moving.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calnbs View Post
You can buy a used or rebuilt top loading washer for $50-100 from craigslist.org. Similar price with dryer as well. There are used appliance stores in my area where they resell rebuilt/fix used appliances and they have lifetime repair warranties, you just have to pay for the parts and take it to their shop. See if there are one in your area.
I have debated that option as well, sometimes you get great working appliances for great prices, often times you do not. I grew up in a low earning household with a large family and I recall all the issues my parents had with their washers/dryers, trying to buy used at first to save a few bucks, they had to eventually just buy new as the old ones kept breaking down, it turned out to be more costly than if they had just bought new in the first place.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:23 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,178,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
That is a rare circumstance, and a bit of philanthropy at the same time, nicely done. The only close option I have to this is dropping off my laundry and picking it up later form the laundromat, they charge 1$/lb of clothing to do the wash for you, and they have a 15 lb minimum. Not really that bad of a deal actually that I think about it. But, I would still have to go out of my way to lug it all over there and drop it off then swing by to pick it up later (I can use that time wisely though and do other errands before I return to pick it up). I do not own a weight scale, however, so I have on idea how much I would be spending at a 15$ minimum per cleaning, it's a service that would seem to be expensive, perhaps 30-40 bucks a month. At that price a washer/dryer would pay itself off in 1-2 years (depending on type/brand).
True...I know I'm in a lucky situation! But for those looking for alternative options I figured I'd throw it out there.

The craigslist option is also extremely valid....I have a side-by-side $100 fridge that I bought ten years ago on craigslist and it still works beautifully.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:29 AM

22,873 posts, read 6,449,275 times
Buy if at all possible...not only do you own it, it's so much easier to wash right in your own place,
no dragging clothes, detergent and money to a laundrymat.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:34 AM

2,156 posts, read 3,337,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I have debated that option as well, sometimes you get great working appliances for great prices, often times you do not. I grew up in a low earning household with a large family and I recall all the issues my parents had with their washers/dryers, trying to buy used at first to save a few bucks, they had to eventually just buy new as the old ones kept breaking down, it turned out to be more costly than if they had just bought new in the first place.

I understand where you are coming from. I grew up the same as you did. In late 80s, my father bought a used Dodge van and wasted 4 yrs and every penny he had to repair it. That POS broke down every other month. My dad told me during those 4 yrs, he didn't saved a dime because it all went into repairing that van.

The internet has made researching simple and fast. It doesn't guaranteed but it helps a lot. Before paying for a certain brand and model, I always research to see if there are huge complaints about that item (regardless if buying new or used). Avoiding a brand and model that seems to have a lot of issue is half the battle. I stick to basics. The fancier the options, the more things it will have that will eventually break down causing the appliance to be useless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living