Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 05:57 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
have you looked at antennaweb.org? What does it tell you? Sometimes you can get reception even if it says you can't.
Yes I have looked antennaweb.org , tvfool, fcc-dtv reception maps , and they all tell me it is nearly impossible. I only get the three local stations (PBS, IND, FAMILYNET).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2014, 07:17 PM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Generally, the USA is 20% rural, and I would expect cable goes by all urban homes and some rural ones.

Individual companies provide that data, but since more than one company may pass a home (Comcast and Verizon or AT&T) you can't really add it up.

I had always taken the 10% antenna, 60% wired cable, and 30% alternative (satellite systems of which 96% is Dish and DirecTV) as fairly good estimates.

If antenna had really crept up to 20%, then wired cable must be taking some huge hits. I seldom hear about people dropping satellite for antenna.
I find it hard to imagine how any cable company could break-even in rural areas if homes are 10 or more miles apart. But I have seen forum threads where posters insisted that even when homes are 20 miles apart the cable provider still stands to show profit from digging all that trench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
have you looked at antennaweb.org? What does it tell you? Sometimes you can get reception even if it says you can't.
Some places can not get signal even when the sites say that you should be able to.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I find it hard to imagine how any cable company could break-even in rural areas if homes are 10 or more miles apart. But I have seen forum threads where posters insisted that even when homes are 20 miles apart the cable provider still stands to show profit from digging all that trench
Well they don't dig a trench where I am at, they just use utility poles.

But if DISH currently has 14 million households, and they get decent reliable internet service via satellite, they have a big base in those 60 million people in rural areas in the USA.

Although those people are probably the most devoted users of Plain Old Telephone Service, I am sure the corporations required to maintain those telephone lines would be more than happy to see those people switch to Voice Over Internet Protocal.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Well they don't dig a trench where I am at, they just use utility poles.

But if DISH currently has 14 million households, and they get decent reliable internet service via satellite, they have a big base in those 60 million people in rural areas in the USA.

Although those people are probably the most devoted users of Plain Old Telephone Service, I am sure the corporations required to maintain those telephone lines would be more than happy to see those people switch to Voice Over Internet Protocal.
There are no cable providers in our town, I just assumed it would be underground.

Our phone line is underground. Our phone company upgraded their phone lines recently to shielded cable capable of carrying broadband. For regular telephone service it is horrible, lots of static and noise. But for dsl it works okay. 43ms to ping my ISP, as high as 1 to 2 Mbps download and 0.5Mbps upload.

I think that VOIP offers a clearer voice option. But I do not see how the phone company would care either way. Are you saying that it is easier to maintain broadband on a phone line, than it is to maintain regular analog voice transmission?

Each of the towns adjacent to our town, are stuck using dial-up with their phone lines. As their phone companies have not upgraded to dsl yet.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:57 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,705 times
I use an antenna as well. Won't spend $$ on cable or satellite for junk channels. I purchased the plug-in electronic amplifier from Radio Shack for my digital antenna. It cost about $50 but brings in those far channels very well.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I think that VOIP offers a clearer voice option. But I do not see how the phone company would care either way. Are you saying that it is easier to maintain broadband on a phone line, than it is to maintain regular analog voice transmission?
I think that the phone company would rather sell home based cellular system, and not have to maintain any wires. Plain old telephone service (POTS) which has BORSCHT functions. BORSCHT is an acronym for:

1. Battery supply to subscriber line
  2. Overvoltage protection
  3. Ringing current supply
  4. Supervision of subscriber terminal
  5. Coder and decoder
  6. Hybrid, 2 wire to 4 wire conversion
  7. Testing
Battery supply to subscriber line is very expensive to maintain, and the customer sees no day to day advantage. If the power goes out, your POTS still functions, even if the outage lasts a week. You VOIP service from cable company depends on a local battery in your house that usually lasts 4 hours. Some cable companies require the customer to pay for this battery, and 99% of customers refuse to pay $40 for 4 hours of service. Home based cellular systems don't work without power. Mobile phones must be recharged eventually.

The local cable company (RCN) charges $20/$25/$30 for the first three years of Unlimited Nationwide Calling if all you want is phone service. Verizon charges $60 for the same thing. The only practical difference is that the cable telephone line will go dead when your battery at home goes dead (about 4 hours), while the Verizon line will function for weeks.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:46 AM

Quote:
I think that the phone company would rather sell home based cellular system, and not have to maintain any wires.
If the goal is to move away from maintaining wires, I would think that Bill Gates' idea of wrist-watch satellite phones would be more to their liking.

Quote:
... If the power goes out, your POTS still functions, even if the outage lasts a week.
I think that depends on the type of outage. During Katrina the landlines went dead.

Quote:
... You VOIP service from cable company depends on a local battery in your house that usually lasts 4 hours. Some cable companies require the customer to pay for this battery, and 99% of customers refuse to pay $40 for 4 hours of service. Home based cellular systems don't work without power. Mobile phones must be recharged eventually.
During outages, anything that is computer based will depend on your batteries to operate.

A 4 hour UPS is a pretty good one. We commonly lose power 2 to 3 times per month, our UPS' are only good for about 30-minutes. We have one on our modem-router, and one for each computer.

Quote:
... The local cable company (RCN) charges $20/$25/$30 for the first three years of Unlimited Nationwide Calling if all you want is phone service. Verizon charges $60 for the same thing. The only practical difference is that the cable telephone line will go dead when your battery at home goes dead (about 4 hours), while the Verizon line will function for weeks.
I did not know that cable companies offered nationwide calling.

It has been years since the last I looked at unlimited nationwide calling, it was a lot more than $60 back then.

Again landlines are not guaranteed to still operate during a power outage.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
A 4 hour UPS is a pretty good one. We commonly lose power 2 to 3 times per month, our UPS' are only good for about 30-minutes. We have one on our modem-router, and one for each computer.
It isn't a UPS, it is a battery. It's called a "telephony modem" as it works for internet and phone. The battery will only keep the phone operating. You need a UPS if you want the modem to work, and that will probably be for 30 minutes.

Quote:
I think that depends on the type of outage. During Katrina the landlines went dead. Again landlines are not guaranteed to still operate during a power outage.

Image of the battery banks at the central office of a traditional Bell System provider.

Nothing is guaranteed, but at least they try. I suppose one of these rooms was flooded in Katrina.

Several companies have products that look like the photo below. They are essentially stationary cellular devices that are easier to operate than mobile phones. Since you put them in a location in your house with good reception and plug them into your home wiring, they don't deal with jostling or changing cell towers.

Quote:
I did not know that cable companies offered nationwide calling. It has been years since the last I looked at unlimited nationwide calling, it was a lot more than $60 back then.

Local advertisement for RCN unlimited phone service. Only in the last 2 years have they been advertising phone as a stand alone product. Before that it was an adjunct to internet service.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
... Local advertisement for RCN unlimited phone service. Only in the last 2 years have they been advertising phone as a stand alone product. Before that it was an adjunct to internet service.

'local'? I assume on TV?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
'local'? I assume on TV?
I meant RCN is not nationwide. Chicago, Boston, Washington DC, Philadelphia & Lehigh Valley, New York City.

But COMCAST is $30/6 months, and $40-$45 thereafter. TIME WARNER is from $10/12 months, after that retail. CHARTER is $30/12 months but only if bundled with TV and Internet.

So clearly I can't go through the 1100 cable companies, but the big ones are offering phone service as a stand alone product. Many of the others offer it as a bundled product.

Cable has 54 million cable video households, 42 million high speed internet, and 27 million voice households.

At least for unlimited domestic calling, they seem to be a better price than the phone company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living