Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:34 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times

Advertisements

So abc is back with the free stuff? Yay!!!

Old 02-11-2014, 02:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Reading.

Soil and Health Library
https://archive.org/details/texts
http://www.cd3wd.com
Free ebooks - Project Gutenberg

20yrsinbranson

Old 02-11-2014, 04:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
Thought since this subject comes up often about cutting cable, people should post their "Alternative TV" finds. I am not talking Netflix, Hulu, Library or OTA antenna. I'm talking what have you found on-line.

As an example. There is a subscription for Acorn TV that you can legally purchase that will give you all the British TV shows. It used to only cost $25 for the year, but now they upped it to $49 a year. But there is good stuff on it. https://signup.acorn.tv/

Then there is a very good documentary channel.
Politics » Documentary Network - Watch free documentaries and films online

Some HGTV Shows online
Full Episodes : On TV : Home & Garden Television

msnbc online
The Rachel Maddow Show on msnbc

PBS online; Watch PBS Online | PBS Video

The Dailey Show: The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - Political Comedy - Fake News | Comedy Central

What have you found?
Tunnelbear will allow you to change your VPN to appear to be british and thus you can get "free" BBC.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:30 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Tunnelbear will allow you to change your VPN to appear to be british and thus you can get "free" BBC.
Thanks for that since I'm a BBC fan.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:46 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9coach View Post
I would never, ever pay to watch television. I would also never tolerate commercials. I can watch absolutely anything I want here: Last 150 | ChannelCut There are multiple links to every show and if you don't find what you're looking for they even take requests via the chat box.

Enjoy!
From that website's "Disclaimer" page: "All parts of the ChannelCut website are for Private Use only. No files are hosted on our server, they are only indexed much like how Google works. This site merely indexes of other sites’s contents. The hosting server or the administrator cannot be held responsible for the contents of any linked sites or any link contained in a linked site, or changes / updates to such sites. If you’re member of any anti-piracy, government, corporation or related group or organization you cannot enter this site and view any of site contents. If you are unsure, email : contact@channelcut.me asking for access before entering. If you enter this site and do not agree with current terms you can not provide any treatment of our hosting ISPs, organization or any persons storing this site information because your actions will be estimated as violation code no. 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act from 1995."

In other words, many of the links on here are likely pirated and in violation of copyright laws. Theft is not really a solid alternative to paying for something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
That's why you use a VPN so your IP address shows up on the opposite end of the U.S. or outside of the states if you're a premium user. A fictitious internet account also helps so you aren't a target. This isn't my first rodeo,lol.
Exactly! That's why you use a fake license plate on the getaway car when you rob a bank.

Oh well - I guess being a theif is better than having to pay a few bucks to watch TV.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
From that website's "Disclaimer" page: "All parts of the ChannelCut website are for Private Use only. No files are hosted on our server, they are only indexed much like how Google works. This site merely indexes of other sites’s contents. The hosting server or the administrator cannot be held responsible for the contents of any linked sites or any link contained in a linked site, or changes / updates to such sites. If you’re member of any anti-piracy, government, corporation or related group or organization you cannot enter this site and view any of site contents. If you are unsure, email : contact@channelcut.me asking for access before entering. If you enter this site and do not agree with current terms you can not provide any treatment of our hosting ISPs, organization or any persons storing this site information because your actions will be estimated as violation code no. 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act from 1995."

In other words, many of the links on here are likely pirated and in violation of copyright laws. Theft is not really a solid alternative to paying for something.

Exactly! That's why you use a fake license plate on the getaway car when you rob a bank.

Oh well - I guess being a theif is better than having to pay a few bucks to watch TV.
If it's being broadcast and I have the technology to watch or listen to it, then as far as I'm concerned it's FREE. Simple as that.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
As someone who's "property" is intellectual instead of physical, I find this attitude horrible.

Would you be OK with having someone come into your business and start taking items off the shelf with no intention of paying for them? Because "not stealing" is just plain boring.

By condoning this theft, you are no different than a common thief. But you apparently have justified it in your mind by thinking it's a victimless crime.
It's the difference between good folks being frugal and folks being scum. Pirating content is indicative of the kind of person the individual is. It's sad that we have these people that don't understand what hard work is.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:36 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,702,555 times
Quote:
If it's being broadcast and I have the technology to watch or listen to it, then as far as I'm concerned it's FREE. Simple as that.
If a product is just laying there on the shelf in a store and I have the means to pick it up, put it in my pocket and walk out the door without paying for it, then as far as I'm concerned, it's FREE.

Internet feeds are not the same as a signal being "broadcast" freely over the airwaves which are available to anyone with an antenna. Watching pirated streams or downloading pirated tv shows, movies and music is theft. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Pirating content is indicative of the kind of person the individual is. It's sad that we have these people that don't understand what hard work is.
Exactly.

I have a fair number of friends in the entertainment industry (mostly musicians). Whenever someone pirates a copy of their work, it is the same as stealing money right out of their pocket.

Quote:
There will always be incentive in the eyes of a thief.
Apparently free TV is one such incentive.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:49 PM

Tober, you said; If a product is just laying there on the shelf in a store and I have the means to pick it up, put it in my pocket and walk out the door without paying for it, then as far as I'm concerned, it's FREE. Internet feeds are not the same as a signal being "broadcast" freely over the airwaves which are available to anyone with an antenna. Watching pirated streams or downloading pirated tv shows, movies and music is theft. Simple as that. [/quote] That's YOUR interpretation which matters none to me. I will watch or listen to anything I wish, which is not federally encrypted through a variety of means with no regret. Electronic dissemination and reception is a world apart from shoplifting on a physical premises. You do what feels comfortable to you and I will continue to do as I see fit irregardless. You're done.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:59 PM

442 posts, read 588,367 times
We watch-

Primewire.ag

Tvmuse.com

48 Hours - CBS News - <---We only watch the free episodes of 48 hours

videobull.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.