Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 10:38 AM

1,818 posts, read 2,684,526 times

Advertisements

I've posted this site before -- you can check out what items in your home consume electricity. The TV is a negligible cost.

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/howmuch.html

Some utility companies perform energy audits for free. Maybe you could call yours and see if they provide that service and then you can see what is consuming the extra killowats
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
Just something to check: if you don't have a digital thermometer, get one and make sure the temp as shown on your control pad is the same or within a degree of the one your purchase. I just found out my upstairs is showing as 3 degrees colder than it really is (thereby kicking on the furnace more often and for longer periods of time) and my downstairs is also showing colder than it really is. I just had a brand new HVAC system installed, including new thermostats, but those will have to be replaced (fortunately under warranty). Make sure everything is accurate before you start looking for other causes, just in case.

Old 02-21-2014, 01:27 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,479,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Just something to check: if you don't have a digital thermometer, get one and make sure the temp as shown on your control pad is the same or within a degree of the one your purchase. I just found out my upstairs is showing as 3 degrees colder than it really is (thereby kicking on the furnace more often and for longer periods of time) and my downstairs is also showing colder than it really is. I just had a brand new HVAC system installed, including new thermostats, but those will have to be replaced (fortunately under warranty). Make sure everything is accurate before you start looking for other causes, just in case.
Thanks for this. In my situation though, I don't think this matters since neither the AC nor the heat has been on since December.

It looks like it could be the water heater. I didn't realize that it ate so much energy. I'm going to investigate this weekend.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Compare energy consumed over months and cost by unit. Should tell the tale since its apparently electricity. Often its the cost of fuel used to produce by demand on market.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:55 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,428,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Thanks for this. In my situation though, I don't think this matters since neither the AC nor the heat has been on since December.

It looks like it could be the water heater. I didn't realize that it ate so much energy. I'm going to investigate this weekend.
Maybe your landlord will allow you to put the water heater on a timer? So it's off for 6 hours or so in the middle of the night?

Old 02-22-2014, 02:05 PM

43,631 posts, read 44,355,249 times
Power bills are up all over the USA this winter due to abnormal weather patterns which has caused a rise in fuel costs and the energy supply companies transfer those extra costs to their customers.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:55 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,896 times
you can get a Kill-a-Watt to find out how much power different appliances use. I just saw it in Harbor Freight for $20 and there are 25% coupons to use.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:45 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,597 times
It's not your power use or abnormal weather. You are getting gouged and the utilities are laughing.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,936,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
The other thing is that we have a water heater and for whatever reason since October it would turn off randomly. I set the water heater to the highest setting, because if not, the water never gets HOT. The water heater shutting off issue was fixed last month and now it stays on like it should. Could this be the issue? I honestly can't think of a reason for such a large jump, I haven't done anything differently. I make sure lights are on only where they are needed. Here is our kwh used by month:

Dec 440
Jan 479
Feb 598

How can I figure this out?
It is your water heater, I will assume your element was replaced, the old one was not working so you could not get your water hot enough. I have gas heat (furnace & water) I live in a 1800 sq ft house and my electric usage is 320kW/h per month. The biggest demand items will be those that heat, water heaters, range, dryer. A TV or lights are minuscule in comparison, a CFL bulb that is used in a light that is on a lot will help but a clothes line will do a lot more to save on your electric bill.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:10 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,259,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
It's not your power use or abnormal weather. You are getting gouged and the utilities are laughing.
She posted that her usage was up 119 kWh over the previous month, which means that it is indeed her power use.

Unless you are suggesting that the power company is sending someone to her house and running her electricity when nobody's home. That would make perfect sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living