Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2021, 08:27 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times

Advertisements

Before I got sucked into the smartwatch realm, I spent decades buying Timex Ironman watches because at $30-$40 a pop, they hit a real sweet spot between price and performance/reliability/durability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 08:53 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I use a lot of power tools. When buying a chain saw, circular saw, or drill, I go with a more expensive, reliable and long lasting brand. When buying something that I will use only rarely, such as an air powered mini belt sander or brad/staple nailer, I will get the cheaper versions from Harbor Freight. For things used every day such as furniture, including bed, I will go for the best I can afford, comfort over frugality.

Old 03-04-2021, 02:14 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
A cheap chain saw sounds like an expensive emergency room trip waiting to happen.

Old 03-06-2021, 05:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I don't really"skimp", I buy cheap, or perhaps I should say "less expensive", and I'll buy generic or store brand if there's no difference.

Example: oats are oats, quick, rolled, old fashioned or steel cut. Why buy a name brand when the store brand or generic brand is most LIKELY made on the same assembly line, just Different labels?

My "George" (walmart's men's 'brand' is the same really as FOTL or Hanes, why pay the higher price? They last as long, same cotton/spandex blend, etc.

Watches: I get a walmart cheapy at $8.88. they last 1 1/2 years-2. If I could get the backs off, I could probably change the battery myself, but they seem sealed to prevent that... probably to resell new watches.
Once, my ex wanted us both to get a "good watch". I got a manly gold colored one that came with a men's bracelet, and my ex got one with diamond chips surrounding the face.
They have batteries but are supposed to be windable by activity and light to help recharge the watch.
Mine cost (gulp) $800, my ex's cost (gulp) $600.
Mine is way to fussy to be reset, even the jeweler lady had trouble getting mine set, and they refused to replace it under warranty.. because"it works".
It lasted about 6 mos.
$800 buys a lot of $8.88 watches!
(For those Interested, yes, my smart phone has a clock..but my wrist is easier and quicker to tell time, I'm 57, have had a wrist watch since I turned 10, and the ONLY time I take it off is if I get wet. I even wear it to bed, I'll never know when I want to know what time it is!
My stepgrandfather was the same way.
That"good watch" of mine? It sits in the dresser drawer!
My ex's too!

Watches also get banged around, dinged, the "crystal" gets scratched, etc, so if a cheap one does the job and gets damaged, easy cheap replacement, that good watch? Needs to be sent away, with an expensive repair bill, just to get repairs.

This has not been our experience. I bought DH’s watch around 20 years ago. He bought me mine in 2006. Both watches which are Swiss made, or at least have Swiss made works, are still humming along. We do get new batteries from time to time, but they are installed at a local jewelry store. It is not cheap to have them installed, I admit. We like wearing watches, and I’ve worn some sort of watch all of my adult life.

For frugality’s sake, I wore a dept. store watch for a number of years before retiring. I worked around strong magnets and did not want to risk ruining a good watch.

My current watch is a Cyma.

I think wearing a better quality watch is a choice. If my watch broke, I would want to have it fixed for sentiment’s sake. But honestly, we don’t need them anymore because we have our phones.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:01 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
A cheap chain saw sounds like an expensive emergency room trip waiting to happen.
Chain saws in general are pretty dangerous of course, but for light duty yard and landscaping work, it can be better to use a cheaper electric one. The gas ones are not only more expensive, but big (harder to handle), noisy, and overpowered for things a typical homeowner would need a chainsaw for.

I don't even own one anymore. A Sawzall is more practical unless you're literally felling trees.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:27 PM

3,148 posts, read 2,729,508 times
I splurge on hamburger (93% lean @ $5.99 per lb) and boots ($100+ Red Wing).

I skimp on everything else.

Old 03-14-2021, 10:20 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
We went down the tv rabbit hole a little while back. The LG OLEDs were comparable to the Sony version- LG even supplies a lot of components to Sony- but were 30% or so cheaper. Will not do Samsung TVs because they seem to have poor quality control in so many of their product lines and we try to buy electronics for the long haul.
Interesting. My Samsung TV is going on nine years and still works perfectly and I like the galaxy phones. Their appliances might be a little more iffy. Friend of mine has their washer and dryer and while it works, it's kind of quirky.

I cheap out on paper towels. Takes me a few months to get through one roll. Won't cheap out on things like coffee and meat.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:42 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
Computers and cellphones. I finally bought a $100 desktop because updates were becoming unavailable in 32 bit. If I buy a phone that can do more, then I would use it more and need new batteries, newer phones, etc.

Old 03-18-2021, 12:02 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
I don't look for sales or coupons on anything. Since I hate all kinds of shopping, if I can find what I like or what fits, I'll just buy it, within reason.

Especially shoes---comfort and utility comes first, not price (or fashion).

If we were in the States, we'd be Whole Foods or Trader Joe's shoppers. We don't skimp on food.

Here, we skip the outdoor markets where we could save a lot, because they are hot, crowded and unsanitary.

But short-term purchases like airline tickets---I'll get the cheapest available. I can suffer for a few hours!

Accommodations are middle of the road.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:25 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Cheap ones aren't any more dangerous than expensive ones. Chainsaws are temperamental machines but the best ones are the ones that are best at cutting you open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I use a lot of power tools. When buying a chain saw, circular saw, or drill, I go with a more expensive, reliable and long lasting brand. When buying something that I will use only rarely, such as an air powered mini belt sander or brad/staple nailer, I will get the cheaper versions from Harbor Freight. For things used every day such as furniture, including bed, I will go for the best I can afford, comfort over frugality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
I splurge on hamburger (93% lean @ $5.99 per lb) and boots ($100+ Red Wing).

I skimp on everything else.
If you're making hamburger, why splurge on the 93% lean? It falls apart if you don't add fat back to the burger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living