Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 05:13 PM

409 posts, read 485,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
That's why they are so often on wheels, actually. The wheels make it a mobile home and not a permanent structure and thus you can get around building codes.
That's true, but still it doesn't seem very practical as a long-term solution. These tiny homes on wheels need a parasitical relationship with a regular home. In most instances, you can't build a home that is less than x number of sf, depending on the city and/or neighborhood. The least I've heard of is 500 sf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 09:09 PM

660 posts, read 1,008,593 times
Default Thank You!

Hi LindseyC - thanks for sharing your story - this is a fantastic example of intentional minimalism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyC View Post
I started on my minimalist journey a few years ago and I found that minimalism to me was a combination of decluttering my material goods as well as simplifying my life in all areas including my finances. Some changes I made right off the bat:

I donated/gifted/sold over 2000 books keeping only reference or coffee style books that I could not easily use a digital version of (and also some childhood favourites that were sentimental) I consolidated them all into one bankers bookcase and then sold all my excess bookcases. I also rarely buy any books, even used ones, I now exclusively use an e-reader and borrow from the library or friends for free. Huge savings for someone who reads 2 to 3 books a week and it also means my house is a million times less cluttered without stacks of books everywhere.

I did the same (donated/gifted/sold) 100's of VHS tapes, DVD's, CD's etc.. I now own 5 movies in total. Everything else I digitized. I also simplified to Netflix only. Again huge savings financially and space wise.

I cancelled all magazine subscriptions, I borrow the digital versions for free from my library.

I reduced my shoes down to seven pairs, all with a unique use. I.e. water shoes, winter hiking books, summer sandals, dress shoes etc...

My clothing I reduced down to about 25% of what I once had, and this continues to go down as I purge and DON'T replace.

I invested in a shredder and cleaned out years upon years of paperwork. I now only keep current, relevant papers, everything else gets shredded immediately and recycled in my compost bin. I also switched to all electronic bills and payments so I get far less mail.

I started going through house one knick knack at a time, one dish at a time, one random sentimental item at a time and questioned everything. In the end (although I do have a few more areas to tidy) I got rid of about 80% of my stuff and kept items that enhanced my very simple decor esthetic or small collections of items I truly like.

My kitchen is way more functional, there are no "junk" drawers in my house, and I can tell you where every single item is in my house without even pausing to think about it. I admit it's easy as I live alone so stuff generally stays in the same spots, but it also helps that most of the drawers in my house are empty and I don't own stuff I never use.

I also made a real effort to get over the concept of "good" dishes or "good" candles etc.. those items you are always saving for some special occasion that never quite arrives or only does once a year. Now I use the "good" items ever day and they bring me so much more pleasure.

Once move for me that made a huge difference was simplifying my finances and taking charge of my household budget. I cancelled services I didn't use, bargained with my remaining service providers for better deals, lower rates and no contracts and I was very successful. I also consolidated all my debt, setup automatic savings into an emergency fund and retirement funds and even though they are very small amounts they are paving the future with ingrained habits.

I also simplified my social life. I joined some local groups with shared interests/hobbies and met on a regular basis. I started arranging more events with my friends that were what I consider frugal healthy fun. Farmers markets, days at provincial parks, hiking in beautiful areas, free games like geocaching, even just going out for a really good cup of tea versus an expensive meal.

My eventual goal is to finish my declutter project and to gradually and gracefully continue to move in a direction where I consume less, reuse more and continue to be more mindful.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:43 AM

68 posts, read 79,407 times
I threw out many, many things in the last months. Donated books, clothes, old computer hardware and lots of other stuff. Decluttering is great.

When it comes to clothes I have three t-shirts, one pair of jeans, a hoodie and a padded vest. That's it and it works for me.

Shoes I have only flip-flops and espadrilles. I had to repair the espadrilles a few times now and I guess they will fall apart soon. Temps are falling even here in Europe, first morning today there was ice on the cars. So I should buy some new shoes but somehow I can't get me to.

The question "do I really need $something" is always in my mind when I'm about to get something now.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Not that this is a great example of Minimalism (at 900 square feet and a hefty price tag I'm sure), but it is a great example of reuse and creativity. Plus, I think the design and natural setting are so amazing.

Houzz Tour: Prairie Grain Bin Turned Bucolic Retirement Home

Old 11-24-2014, 10:56 AM

Default Thanks!

What a great story!

And, the question that you bring up is so important -- NOT asking it is how we manage to get MUCH more than we really need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~skywalker~ View Post
I threw out many, many things in the last months. Donated books, clothes, old computer hardware and lots of other stuff. Decluttering is great.

When it comes to clothes I have three t-shirts, one pair of jeans, a hoodie and a padded vest. That's it and it works for me.

Shoes I have only flip-flops and espadrilles. I had to repair the espadrilles a few times now and I guess they will fall apart soon. Temps are falling even here in Europe, first morning today there was ice on the cars. So I should buy some new shoes but somehow I can't get me to.

The question "do I really need $something" is always in my mind when I'm about to get something now.

Old 12-20-2014, 01:57 AM

68 posts, read 79,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
What a great story!
I threw out even more last month. My room is almost empty, I'm almost only "digital" now when it comes to books, movies, music and so on ...

Quote:
And, the question that you bring up is so important -- NOT asking it is how we manage to get MUCH more than we really need.
My espadrilles ripped beyond repair a few weeks ago. Still no new shoes, I just wear my flip-flops with socks. We don't have snow here yet.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:41 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,928,141 times
Quote:
Hello everyone!

While I was never what I would consider a "mass consumer" (I certainly have purchased my share of "stuff" - both necessary and unnecessary), several moves have prompted me toward "owning" less and less over the years (and note that I have really only moved about 5 times in the last 20 years -- which may or may not seem like a lot to people -- but I like to experience living in new spaces/places). And, as I prepare to move from the frigid temperatures of Western New York to the milder Winters of the South (North Carolina) in 2015, I'm feeling the desire to become even more minimal.

I'm finding I would rather live a small space (like a tiny home or studio apartment) and have few things (but have them be high quality so they last) than I would have a 3BR and lots of extraneous "stuff".

I am selling or donating about 75% of what I currently have as I gear up to move.

Can anyone else relate to this?

The "movement" is really well explained here: The Minimalists

Anyway, I'm interested in talking to others who are into this lifestyle/ideology, and to also get support; it can be difficult to be a minimalist in a HIGHLY consumerist society.

~ Jeffrey
I can relate, for sure. When I moved back to my hometown I got rid of quite a bit of "stuff". I lived in a 2BD/1BA mobile for four years and where I'm at now, in a large studio, for the last 5.5 years but have managed to NOT fill the place up. Which is a good thing because I will be moving again shortly. I am not looking forward to it. I have what I need and a few things I just wanted but they are things I do use. I have a 'one year' rule. If I haven't used it in a year it goes out. I have a lot of clothes I need to get rid of because they just don't fit anymore but they've been hanging in the closet so long I need to wash them all before I can even donate them. Sigh.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:25 PM

Default Constant . . .

Nice work!

Yeah, I think being a minimalist is something that requires almost constant vigilance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I can relate, for sure. When I moved back to my hometown I got rid of quite a bit of "stuff". I lived in a 2BD/1BA mobile for four years and where I'm at now, in a large studio, for the last 5.5 years but have managed to NOT fill the place up. Which is a good thing because I will be moving again shortly. I am not looking forward to it. I have what I need and a few things I just wanted but they are things I do use. I have a 'one year' rule. If I haven't used it in a year it goes out. I have a lot of clothes I need to get rid of because they just don't fit anymore but they've been hanging in the closet so long I need to wash them all before I can even donate them. Sigh.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:55 PM

409 posts, read 485,987 times
The first of the year we plan to go through everything and toss or donate what we're not using. One thing that seems so overwhelming to me is the amount of paper that accumulates. Lots of it can just be tossed, but I need to keep some of it for tax purposes. What I'm not sure of is if it's okay to scan receipts, tax returns, etc. and toss the originals. Does anyone know the best way to minimize important papers?

Old 12-24-2014, 09:17 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,754,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lily4 View Post
The first of the year we plan to go through everything and toss or donate what we're not using. One thing that seems so overwhelming to me is the amount of paper that accumulates. Lots of it can just be tossed, but I need to keep some of it for tax purposes. What I'm not sure of is if it's okay to scan receipts, tax returns, etc. and toss the originals. Does anyone know the best way to minimize important papers?
Make digital copys and back them up on an external hard drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living