Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 01:06 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,659,627 times

Advertisements

This may be a bit controversial and this is totally opinion based. But based from what I've seen personally, the couples I know who make adequate amount of money SEEM like they have stronger relationships rather than if one or both people make a HUGE salary but never see each other. But I want to know what you guys think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2017, 04:02 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I don't think that is the factor. However, it is really hard on a relationship if one partner is thrifty and the other one spends every penny that they can get their hands on or borrow.

Being poor can be hard on a relationship, too. It's stressful to not have enough income to pay even the basic bills.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:21 PM

17,310 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
This may be a bit controversial and this is totally opinion based. But based from what I've seen personally, the couples I know who make adequate amount of money SEEM like they have stronger relationships rather than if one or both people make a HUGE salary but never see each other. But I want to know what you guys think
I have an acquaintance that is very cheap. Back when DVD's were coming up in popularity she forbade her husband to buy a DVD player because she knew he would want to buy the DVD's too! They are nice people but the cheapness definitely put the brakes on our friendship. They go on vacations but they always seem to have a "thrifty" aspect to them......like lets go to ski country in June or lets go on a cruise to the Bahamas but we have to go in August!

Husband isn't as cheap but he certainly abides by the doctrine!

Old 05-13-2017, 04:39 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
Couples who are on the same page tend to have better relationships. Both being frugal would align that in one major category

Old 05-13-2017, 06:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
People whose values and priorities toward spending, saving, and who have similar outlooks on finances in general tend to have better odds of longevity/fewer open windows for unfixable discord than those tho don't.

Frugality isn't a necessity if both parties are on the same page regarding what they can afford, and so long as they can in fact afford what they think they can afford without being frugal. That's just a matter of personal choice and values.

Old 05-13-2017, 06:33 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Opinion is the voice of the ego, especially unsolicited personal opinions about other people.

Thats to say, my opinion of other people is just my ego trying to BS me into believing something likely to be complete rubbish.

I have the same thoughts you do, but I tell myself to shut the bleep up and cut it short.

Old 05-13-2017, 07:37 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Only if they are in agreement.

Old 05-13-2017, 09:48 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
Couple who are both frugal are happy. They both don't miss anything, are happy with the life choice & both think twice or 3 times before making any financial decision. In long run they are happy because of their saving & decision they made

couple who are both spender are happy too. But eventually if their income and spending don't balance out, they will be stressful and that stress can ruin their relationship

Couple who don't see eye to eye are screwed from start

Old 05-13-2017, 11:02 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Couple who are both frugal are happy. They both don't miss anything, are happy with the life choice & both think twice or 3 times before making any financial decision. In long run they are happy because of their saving & decision they made

couple who are both spender are happy too. But eventually if their income and spending don't balance out, they will be stressful and that stress can ruin their relationship
Why do you assume that the spenders will have issues and the frugal ones will not? I know many frugal couples that split because one is frugal, well balance in their spending and savings while the other person is a cheapo who would go all stupid and wacko over spending $20 for their anniversary sit down dinner at Denny's.

Frugal couples don't have a monopoly on getting along because of their blissful frugal spending; they equally can have issues arise and be as unhappy as regular folks.

Old 05-13-2017, 11:18 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Statistically money fights are both a major cause of conflict,and divorce.

If your both on the same page with your spending, AND have $ saved... That eliminates many of the "potential issues"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living