Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 02:20 PM

23,649 posts, read 14,152,187 times

Advertisements

Saw this homemade furnace on FB a few months ago for melting aluminum cans and turning them into ingots.

In "theory", that's something I could do. I have the land and I did a foundry course way back in college (then, we used an induction furnace for aluminum). Assuming there are no Class D fires awaiting in this concept, why not? (ie, being aware of such, it would be heavily researched first).

The question is, though, why? When those after me go through my estate, will they find these ingots and wonder why in the heck did she keep these (probably)? Will they then go searching for that huge ball of silver chewing gum wrappers.....which they will never find because it doesn't exist.

On one side, there is the homesteading bit to have the basic "industrial" capability of a machine shop, perhaps an engine lathe, and a source of metals......such as all that brass bought at action
2732 lbs (approx.) 50 cal. fired brass casings stored in 1 cardboard container,cartridges have a head stamp marking of L - Government Liquidation
and loaded into the back of the pickup with a huge "cup", scoop by scoop.
(not me, but someone else who told me about such auctions)

Granted, can aluminum is probably not the grade of aircraft aluminum, but still there is something, if for some perverted delusional reason, to having the ability to have such in storage, done the cheaper the better.

But on the other side......why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 02:28 PM

5,727 posts, read 10,151,734 times
My mother has a kiln and does pottery.

A friend of mine welds and has scrap metal everywhere.

Another blacksmiths.

.... They might do it for metal working projects, or they might do is for recycling...
Depends on the user.

Old 04-06-2015, 02:58 PM

A thing that occurred to me post original post is that metal, perhaps especially in ingots is a potential bartering resource (must be from my Navy days). One may not have a use for low grade aluminum but, say, an artist might.

So, the good feelings of being self reliant aside, where's the basic difference between stockpiling metal ..... and that dreaded H word?

I'd say that if one has the means to process it or has it in a form ready for use (ie, the person who has bought the junked car and has since stripped it for parts), it's stockpiling.

On the other hand, if one is storing all those cleaned cat food cans for the aluminum furnace they will one day build, to pour into the casts that they have neither yet the sand nor the Hydrocal (just an example) around for............then it is probably that dreaded H word.

AFTER ALL, one will probably have a new source of aluminum cat food cans......each month.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:07 PM

5,727 posts, read 10,151,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
A thing that occurred to me post original post is that metal, perhaps especially in ingots is a potential bartering resource (must be from my Navy days). One may not have a use for low grade aluminum but, say, an artist might.

So, the good feelings of being self reliant aside, where's the basic difference between stockpiling metal ..... and that dreaded H word?

nth.
Organization and use.

I have a bin I throw aliminum cans into. They aren't piled all over the place.

At some point I'll take them to be recycled. (when I'm going, or there's enough to make the trip worth doing.)

I save my fired brass to reload.
It goes in bins and gets sorted, cleaned and prepped.

My mothers neighbor has piles of old newspapers all over her house, and cannot use her house due to do much "junk" (she has "trails" going from room to room.)

A friend of mine spent his career at Anniston proving grounds and has a wall of all the plackards off the cannon they destructive tested, and a private museum (people writing reference books see him) of most of the military small arms of the 20th century.

Nearly racked, cleaned, labeled, and sorted by country and era.

Not hard to see the difference.

If you save your junk mail to burn it in your wood oven in the winter, or if you put piles of it "wherever" in your house and it sits ere fr 10 years.....

My blacksmith buddy made a rack for his scrap metals.
They are sorted in accordance to the type of metal.... And he uses them (yes, sometimes it sits there for 10 years but when it's the right type....)

Old 04-06-2015, 06:30 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,079,950 times
How much energy would be required to get a substantial piece of aluminum?

Old 04-06-2015, 08:56 PM

16,413 posts, read 30,405,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Saw this homemade furnace on FB a few months ago for melting aluminum cans and turning them into ingots.

In "theory", that's something I could do. I have the land and I did a foundry course way back in college (then, we used an induction furnace for aluminum). Assuming there are no Class D fires awaiting in this concept, why not? (ie, being aware of such, it would be heavily researched first).

The problem with heating ALUMINUM is that when it gets into a molten state, it may splatter if there are air bubbles in the mixture.

I worked in a plant where they melted AL ingot into liquid aluminum for AL castings. They have on display the face mask worn by a worker when a bubble exploded. The whole front of the mask was covered with aluminum. Fortunately, the worker only suffered minor burns as he was wearing the proper protection.

It is NOT worth the risk.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The problem with heating ALUMINUM is that when it gets into a molten state, it may splatter if there are air bubbles in the mixture.

I worked in a plant where they melted AL ingot into liquid aluminum for AL castings. They have on display the face mask worn by a worker when a bubble exploded. The whole front of the mask was covered with aluminum. Fortunately, the worker only suffered minor burns as he was wearing the proper protection.

It is NOT worth the risk.
Good note.

In the early days of dreaming about using all the excess inventory "out there", part of the thought process was working on what it would take to build a remote controlled facility.

Moving more into the "fantasy motivation" part, it's figuring out ways to build remote stations that might be used as part of exploration such as the glass making facility described in a subplot of the novelization of "Outland"........or where "they" came from in the movie "Screamers". As I said, fantasy motivation.

Anything so destructive to a person (and for that matter, mostly any subject), I'm going to research it throughly before I start fiddling with it. Anytime anyone talks of heating aluminum, my thoughts immediately go to the Belknap
http://www.naval.com.br/blog/wp-cont.../12/cg26_1.jpg
and the Sheffield
http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/image...heffieldpa.jpg
, ie Class D fires, so it's not something I'm going to approach thinking that FB has all the answers.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:23 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,966,344 times
Aluminum melts around 1200 degrees. That's way more heat energy and expense than you want to incur in order to melt a few aluminum cans.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:53 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,937,607 times
Get a book on basic foundry operations. Read the safety section first. Be very careful about any dampness or water in your metal, melting pot or molds.

For the aluminum and copper based alloys a wood or charcoal fire should be hot enough. Adding a source of pressurized air helps. An old tank type vacuum cleaner set up as a blower works very well. A big propane weed burner is a cleaner alterative. If you are really serious about reaching higher temperatures for iron or its alloys a coal or coke fire will be needed.

I suggest you just collect the stuff and recycle it. Then buy raw metal from a supply company so you know the actual alloy you are working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living