Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 03:10 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,701,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
They also have one cup only brewers.
That's the main reason why there are specific one-cup brewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I have not noticed a quality difference in my one vs half carafe brew, but there are settings to increase or decrease time the water spends with the grounds.
Fancy. So you have a hybrid device. Very cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 10:32 AM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
For most full-pot drip coffee makers, there is a marked difference in the quality of the brew between a one cup pot and a four cup pot. These devices have none of the additional features that brewers deliberately designed for one or two cups have. Full-pot drip coffee makers are optimized for a full pot, but have been engineered for the marketplace to deliver passable coffee along a broad range of brewing amounts, but generally no less than four cups.

The difference, though, is most notable if you're drinking high-quality coffee, black. If you're drinking very bitter coffee perhaps you're better off brewing only one cup - while the coffee will be less flavorful, it will also be less bitter. If you're drinking coffee-flavored cream, then you can brew your coffee with lukewarm water through a dirty sock and may not notice a problem.

So yes, you're correct that there is no rule about it. There is, however, an impact on the coffee that you may or may not like.

I got the Hamilton Beach Flexbrew coffee maker.
One side is the regular 12 pot brewer.
The other side is a one cup brewer that takes either the k-cup or use the little basket with scoops you put in yourself.

Works for me because I just like one cup in the morning. When I have family visiting they like their coffee and so I use the 12 pot side to brew up a pot.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:04 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I have an old 4 cup coffee maker and a grocery store coffee that I like. I don't want to put a lot of thought or effort into coffee.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:29 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times
Do many people have espresso machines at home?

Old 07-05-2019, 05:37 AM

106,593 posts, read 108,739,314 times
my ninja bar coffee maker can do quite a lot of different things . it does special brews , ice brews and has a great frother for cappuccino and lattes

Old 07-05-2019, 07:00 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,214,623 times
I like my 5 cup Kenmore coffee maker. I used to stop for coffee on the way to work almost everyday but now I would rather wake up earlier and enjoy superior tasting home brewed coffee (much cheaper too). I still do occasionally stop for coffee if I'm short on time, need an afternoon pick me up or if I just want a hot beverage on a chilly day when I'm not at home. I like 7-11's coffee and it's cheap when you bring your own travel mug. Every 7th cup is free with their app.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:30 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,645,534 times
I know this is an old thread but my life has changed since I learned to make the easiest & best tasting concentrated coffee ever: cold brew!

- filtered water
- coarse ground coffee
- put in container and stir
- refrigerate for about 18 hrs
- strain

It's concentrated for sure so use a mixture of half coffee, half filtered water, add whatever you want (cream, sugar) and enjoy!

Old 12-10-2020, 01:13 AM

1 posts, read 741 times
It is easy to make coffee in a coffee maker. Its time consuming.

Old 12-11-2020, 11:44 AM

1,378 posts, read 411,686 times
I have a 12 cup Mr Coffee. The water pumps out too fast and makes the filter overflow and I end up with grounds in my coffee. So, I started measuring out 3 level tablespoons of coffee and making 8 cups and I brew it...have a cup before work and let the whole pot cool while I'm at work. When I get home I set the pot in the fridge. Next morning I can just reheat. I get 3 or 4 large mugs out of that. Cheaper than Keurig.

Old 12-11-2020, 05:42 PM

500 posts, read 571,481 times
I've tried most of the types. A percolator has the best taste to me but it's loud and messy to clean up. I used a drip through funnel type thing for years. But I got lazier and realized I am not that picky about taste. Coffee snobs will be horrified but I now use instant coffee. It's fast and easy not to mention cheap to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living