Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2016, 03:32 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times

Advertisements

I got tired of replacing my vacuum every couple years so I looked for reviews of COMMERCIAL vacuums. I"ve had this one for 7 years and still going strong - not sure what the price is now but it was around $200 I think:

Carpet-Pro*Household Vacuum Cleaners, featuring model CPU-2

I'm sure there are many you could check out besides this seller and model.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2016, 01:23 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
The shopvac does wonders in the shop, but it lets too much dust through for using in the house. Although I suppose we could put a filter on the exhaust and use the shopvac in the house. If we did that, then it could be used inside although it's kinda bulky to haul around and hard to fit into a closet.

We found one of these at a yard sale, the person selling it said the power brush didn't work anymore and the hose wouldn't attach anymore so it was free. Tristar Vacuum Cleaner | The Vacuum Centre Victoria Haven't a clue how old it is, I'm guessing ours was made in the 60's or 70's or so, but it works great now that we've fixed it up. I like it since it doesn't have bags to replace, somewhat similar to a shopvac and one of the reasons why I like shopvacs is their lack of requirement for vacuum cleaner bags.

I also like the little Tristar vacuum since it looks like something the Jetsons would use.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:07 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,562,983 times
Good call, OP.
Shop vacs have tremendous power and advantage of being wet or dry.
No, they do not look pretty.
No, they do not have "fancy features" that no one likely to use anyway.
Yes, they may appear to be "heavy" for some users that can lift a pen and cell phone and that's about it, as shop vacs are actually very light, much lighter than many fancy vacuums.
Do they put out a lot of dust through exhaust? Only when you do not clean them regularly. But if you do same to a regular vac, it will either do same or simply jag your electrical bill without actually doing much.
MANY regular vac attachments fit onto shop vac tubes. Like a spinning brush one.
Adding 2nd air filter or upgrading existing one in shop vac is easy to do.
But, $60 (or less) vs $300 or more for less efficient cleaning machine? No brainer to me.

Old 03-12-2016, 04:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I used a shop vac for years in my house. Loved it! I didn't think it was hard to dump out at all.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:31 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,908,221 times
Because they are obnoxiously loud as f************!!

Old 03-15-2016, 10:13 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Shop vacs are good for loose debris, but have horrible filters. They are great for vacuuming out the car, or picking up pieces of smashed glass and such. But if you really want to get good filtration, you need to change out the filter to a fine dust filter, or a HEPA filter, and those get very expensive.

Just recently I was doing some drywall work in my bedroom and used my shop vac which I thought had the fine dust filter in it. Unfortunately, I swapped it out for the standard filter and proceeded to blow dust all over my bed.

My regular vacuum is quieter, and does a MUCH better job pulling dust and such from carpet in which it was designed. I'm always amazed when I clear out that filter what it pulls from a rug I thought was clean. My shop vac can't do that.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:15 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,422,866 times
Its not that shop vacs are so cheap, its that vacuums are overpriced. Marketing. That fancy $400 vacuum costs 10 bucks to manufacture.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:31 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,437 times
I bought a Miele Whitestar on eBay for around $75, I think. I took it to a shop and they fixed it completely with a refurbished motor and other things for $160. I've had this for almost 10 years and it's still going strong.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:32 PM

486 posts, read 653,607 times
I use a Shopvac as my main vacuum in the house. You can buy bags to go in them, BTW, and regular floor cleaning attachments including wand extensions so you don't have to stand on your head with the short one that comes with it. I've gone through upright and drag-behind vacs and the Shopvac beats them hands-down. I don't have carpet, though, and never will again. I did buy a 25-foot extension cord and I can do practically the whole house without changing outlets.

And they're also great for vacuuming the horse...yes, horse. He loves it. Sucks the old winter coat right off along with the mud and dust. There are even grooming attachments for the Shopvac.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:38 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Its not that shop vacs are so cheap, its that vacuums are overpriced. Marketing. That fancy $400 vacuum costs 10 bucks to manufacture.

I think your estimated cost are a bit off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living