Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 08:45 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,164,563 times

Advertisements

We bought a shop vac last week to clean out some construction mess in the garage. I was blown away by two things, the price and the efficiency of the thing! It cost around $60. Is there any reason not to use one in the house? It came with several attachments. We have all hardwood and tiles in the house, not much carpeting at all. I just can't figure out what would make vacuum cleaners so much more costly, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2016, 08:47 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,158,829 times
I'm really not sure but I have 2 of them and I love them both!

Old 03-06-2016, 08:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I bought a small wet/dry vac last year to deal with a flooded trunk in my car and also was surprised at how cheap it was. The only think I can think of is the motor for the brushes on regular vacuum cleaners, that would make them cost so much more.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:52 PM

59 posts, read 50,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectoris View Post
We bought a shop vac last week to clean out some construction mess in the garage. I was blown away by two things, the price and the efficiency of the thing! It cost around $60. Is there any reason not to use one in the house?
Filtering system is not as great on a shop vac, so you won't be trapping as much dust as you would with a vacuum cleaner.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:57 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
If you can take the noise, go for it!

Old 03-07-2016, 07:52 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
There aren't a lot of design features. Instead of handles that raise and lower and brushes that can be adjusted, you get a plain round can. That's part of it.

The other part of it is the filtration system. The filters don't work as well. A "shop vac" with an excellent filtering system is called a Filter Queen and that is a very expensive vacuum cleaner, although in addition to the more efficient filter, there is more engineering, much better quality hose, lid stays on much better......

Other than that, I use my shop vac a lot and I do use it indoors to vacuum floors. It's efficient but I find it to be more awkward to use than the upright on carpeting. I vacuum hunched over when trying to use the shop vac on carpet

Old 03-07-2016, 11:08 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
We bought a shop vac last week to clean out some construction mess in the garage. I was blown away by two things, the price and the efficiency of the thing! It cost around $60. Is there any reason not to use one in the house? It came with several attachments. We have all hardwood and tiles in the house, not much carpeting at all. I just can't figure out what would make vacuum cleaners so much more costly, though!

Don't know why they are so much cheaper but am glad they are. A month ago I bought a new one to replace my ten year old shop vac. It still works fine but doesn't have quite the pulling power it used to have. It still works fine for small jobs and for water pickup. I do remove and wash the filters every now and then. When I bought my house I said NO carpets so I have all wood floors and scattered throw rugs. My new vacuum works great and it's so easy to get under furniture with it. I was happy to sell my upright Bissell AND the carpet cleaner!

Old 03-07-2016, 11:48 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times
Quote:
I just can't figure out what would make vacuum cleaners so much more costly, though!
Canister vaccum cleaners are more popular in Europe. Uprights are more popular in USA, Canada, and United Kingdom.

Besides noise and filtration which were already mentioned, the bristles in most residential vaccum cleaners can be pretty expensive. Since most shops have cement or linoleum floors, and most homes have carpet, there is a great deal of the cost difference.

Old 03-07-2016, 11:50 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,779,917 times
Quote:
If you're sucking up dust, then the shop vac is great for industrial use. In house it'll not be so good. I had wood floors and put the vacuum outside for cleaning. But since I was just making Mom happy it wasn't a bother and we didn't want to spend $600 on a Kirby or Hoover anyway...Found a hose that was 20' long..helped a lot...

Old 03-07-2016, 03:24 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,294 times
Shop vacs are ok to remove construction dust or liquids, but cleaning the house?
Never heard that someone use a shop vac for cleaning the house. They are noisy, poor filtration and not very efficient. They are very unstylish and they lack maneuverability. And it's a nightmare to empty a shop vac. Do they have an automatic cord wrap? Very unpractical.

It's better to buy a reliable high-quality canister vacuum for $200.

This one for example:

Amazon.de: Miele S 8340 EcoLine Lotusweiß Bodenstaubsauger EEK D / 1.200 Watt Efficiency-Motor / AirClean-Filter / 3-teiliges integriertes Zubehör / Comfort-Kabelaufwicklung / Plus/Minus-Fußsteuerung
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Frugal Living